android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 09-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Maxim Radio on Sirius did a great review of the new ZEN

They did a great review of the new Zen, making sure to get in a few jabs at IPOD all at the same time saying "while everyone was busy looking at the new IPOD announcements, Creative was making a new ZEN that kicks the IPODS but six ways from Sunday."

It was a review good enough to get me interested in the new Zen. Excited to see one in person before I buy.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Ditto. The new Ipod touch is basically a stripped down iphone. Besides don't they get it... who cares about wifi? If anything it could make the itouch more vulnerable to hackers.

And the price tag. $399 versus $249... why would anyone want to pay $150 for something that is an inferior product anyways?

And the new Ipod nanos look like big tic-tacs.

I have my reasons to stick to Zen. They actually are doing far better in the design department too. What happened to apple this time? Usually I grant one to Apple... they are good with design. What the heck happened with the new ipods? They are atrocious.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
Ditto. The new Ipod touch is basically a stripped down iphone. Besides don't they get it... who cares about wifi? If anything it could make the itouch more vulnerable to hackers.

And the price tag. $399 versus $249... why would anyone want to pay $150 for something that is an inferior product anyways?

And the new Ipod nanos look like big tic-tacs.

I have my reasons to stick to Zen. They actually are doing far better in the design department too. What happened to apple this time? Usually I grant one to Apple... they are good with design. What the heck happened with the new ipods? They are atrocious.

Agree. The new Nano's are ugly and fat. The new full size Ipods are ok looking but who needs to upgrade just for "COVER FLOW?"

I'm trying to decide on the ZEN or the ZUNE. I don't know.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargas View Post
Agree. The new Nano's are ugly and fat. The new full size Ipods are ok looking but who needs to upgrade just for "COVER FLOW?"

I'm trying to decide on the ZEN or the ZUNE. I don't know.
Get the Zen. It's quite thin from what I have heard. I'm the most impatient person in the world. Does anyone know when the Zen 16GB is gonna be available on amazon? It's driving me crazy.

The Zune? Well it has a good set of features and the sound quality is pretty good. I think it is an excellent first stab at the market for Microsoft (who should keep trying, the more competitors there are the lower prices go). But it's just a bit too clunky for my tastes. Though some might like the durability factor. And a brown mp3 player? Not for me...

The new Zen has the looks down, and obviously has the right set of features.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:39 PM

The 16GB Zen should be available mid October if not earlier...

I wouldn't mind the Zen because it so slick looking, etc. But I think I'm going to settle for a Cowon D2 just because it has more features...

From what I'm hearing the SD card and music is on it is pretty pointless. As in it doesn't even keep bookmarks of music on the SD card!!! One of the people emailed creative and creative made it sound like they will never make support for combining the music on the SD card with internal music...

Stuff like that is making me get a D2 more and more

Old 09-22-2007, 09:41 PM

Zen: DivX. Enough said.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

I don't see much justification for the Cowon D2... but to each his own. All it has is a touch screen. I find that a bit counterproductive. I don't want to be smudging the screen with my fingers. Also from what I heard it has issues playing DivX/Xvid movies. I also heard the Zen has better battery power. Well putting music on the SD card will work out just fine.

The Zen can play DivX, and how does it have less features? I was just looking on Amazon and the two seem pretty similar to me. Besides the touch screen. But after a while you'll notice that's not really useful. Also not only that people have many complaints about its poor interface. The internal software is also somewhat buggy...

Whenever I look at other players, I just want the Zen 16GB more and more... especially for the price point of $249. I saw the 4GB Cowon for $189. What? Are they serious? An Zen 8GB is $199. A Zen 4GB is $129. The cowon is generally pretty clunky too.

The link I looked at.

Anyways, when I heard that the Zen has DivX support my mind has been made.

Edit: Whoops... the Cowon has a stylus. Still wouldn't that eventually scratch the screen? What if you want to buy a screen cover?

Old 09-22-2007, 10:26 PM

Giancarlo, good points

I am a current Creative Vision M user... and I like it a lot, but I hate some things about it too.

Alright so here is the break down of Pros and Cons of both players...

Creative Zen:
Pros:
Slick small design
Card Reader
Good price for the GB
Better battery life then Vision: M
Good Sound Quality
Not touch screen
Great Playlist support
Interface

Cons:
MPT
ID3 Tag sorting only
Divx needs to be transcoded and shrunk to 320 x 240 resolution
No TV Out
Can't Copy Files from Card to Device
SD Card music files cannot be bookmarked
SD Card music can only be played from the SD Card
SD Card music doesn't merge with integrated memory music
SD Card music will not resume once the player is shutdown.
Screen doesn't completely turn off when playing music and player hasn't been touched for a bit. You have to put it on hold for it to do that.

Cowon D2:
Pros:
Great audio quality
Great battery life, 52 hours music
USB/MSC and MTP support
ID3 and Filename sorting
TV Out
Flash Games
Looks like a good interface but dunno yet...
Text Files

Cons:
Touch Screen
Too thick
From what I heard not so good playlist support
Price for the GB
External volume control buttons
Transcoding of video files is required

References:
Link 1 - Cowon D2 Vs Creative Zen
Link 2 - Creative SD Card issues

Now the SD card support is very important to me, because I want to get a 4GB or 8GB Zen and then eventually get a 32 GB sd card. But if it's going to be crappy like it currently is, then it's pointless.

I really hope with firmware they will fix it, but who knows, I already sent 2 emails to creative asking for the features to be added... I only got a response to one saying that that information will be forwarded to the developers.

Now if rockbox hits the Zen very soon, I will get the Zen

Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Banned

Crappy? I don't think its crappy and I think they will have a firmware update. As I say nothing is perfect. If we invented it, it won't be perfect. There are issues with everything. I don't know why the SD card thing would be difficult. It seems pretty straightforward to me. Well, either way... the firmware on my Vision:M has come a long way...

I have noticed that with firmware updates on my Vision:M there have been vital updates... and generally ones I've been pleased with. I'm sure these issues will be resolved. I have confidence in Creative to do so, as they have fixed many issues with firmware updates with relation to the Vision:M. As far as TV out, that's not particularly important to me. I have a DVD player (soon an HD-DVD player if I save up enough).

So I'm confident that it will be sorted through... I'm sure the audio quality on the Zen is better than the Cowon though...

Old 09-22-2007, 10:49 PM

I understand what you mean, and I'm still on the creative boat for that reason... but I'm just afraid to shell out so much money to find out that they will never fix up the SD card functionality all the way.

I think the biggest things that are bugging me are: No USB/MSC, player doesn't completely turn off when playing and not touched (I have a gf 12 hours away and having to put the player on hold to turn of the screen to safe battery life, then to skip a song take it off hold, and then put it back is kinda annoying...)

I just wish Creative will listen to us and update the firmware and fix things up... but the Zen is one slick and good looking player.

The Cowon D2 is actually not that big, its a bit thinner then a 30GB Vision: M and its much shorter.

I can live without TV out, its a nice feature though...

I do like having the text reading function on the D2, but I dont think there is a mini keyboard to type up new text, if there was I would already have this player - Ultimate organizer for me

Old 09-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

Well $249 for a 16GB flash based player is quite a price. I like it.

I understand your concerns. I do think Creative has generally fixed issues with the Vision:M... I remember it had a few bugs when I first got it.

Go with what best suits you. I just wanna get the Zen and the plastic case and clip the thing on my belt and show it off. I love how thin it is. And lets face it, I'm probably gonna use like half of the 16GB.

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=16978

People would be like "What is that?"

I would just reply "It's not an ipod."

In other words, if you get either the Cowon or the Creative, that's cool by me. The more sales competitors have the more competitive they can be against Apple.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:20 PM

It is a hard choice man... 4gb for almost $190 or 16g for $60 more....

The belt clip is sweet though . and yes I want to shove the Zen into all iPod lovers faces... lol. So right now as it stands, I will still be willing to get Zen as long as they are willing to fix the SD card issues. Or Rockbox will be on it that will fix it

Btw, it seems like the cowon D2 is around the same size as my Razr V3m... that is pretty small still, but I can imagine having both in the same pocket... this is why Im getting rid of my Zen Vision: M 60GB fatty lol

Old 09-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Banned

Either choice is fine. I think both have their pluses. And I can see why it is a hard choice...

And yes, my Vision:M is a chunky one... i really need something smaller...

Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 AM

Are you sure the ZSW cant support divx at resolutions higher than 320x240?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumsy bot View Post
Are you sure the ZSW cant support divx at resolutions higher than 320x240?
It has been confirmed that Zen cannot support resolutions higher then 320x240. It gives you an error message saying display resolution is out of range.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:27 PM

IMO MTP and ID3 are not Cons (for me) i prefer Id3 tagging overthe old fashioned way.
i just dont like COwon's pricing for there players.. you'd think you would get a sleeker package for what you paying.
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 09-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyg View Post
IMO MTP and ID3 are not Cons (for me) i prefer Id3 tagging overthe old fashioned way.
i just dont like COwon's pricing for there players.. you'd think you would get a sleeker package for what you paying.
I agree they are not really cons for other people, but I'm a special case so they are a con for me... it's really embarrassing when it takes you 30 min to find a song you like....

I just dont see why Creative can't implement both? Make more customers and happier people!

Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 PM

what do you mean 30mins? Even though it does take some work organizing your tags, its a huge benefit after that, super organized and fully tagged, thats how my music files are in, i really like browsing by artist or album art track name or genre. but of course, this is just me. They should really integrate an option like some players though, Id3 tag browsing AND have anotehr option for folder browsing. i think the Samsung T9 has this no?
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
It has been confirmed that Zen cannot support resolutions higher then 320x240. It gives you an error message saying display resolution is out of range.
I emailed creative; they confirmed this.

I am disappointed.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyg View Post
what do you mean 30mins? Even though it does take some work organizing your tags, its a huge benefit after that, super organized and fully tagged, thats how my music files are in, i really like browsing by artist or album art track name or genre. but of course, this is just me. They should really integrate an option like some players though, Id3 tag browsing AND have anotehr option for folder browsing. i think the Samsung T9 has this no?
Oh I should mention I have a lot of DJ music, and on my computer its sorted by Genre, Artist - DJ, then Album then song...

Well a lot of times a DJ will redo another artists song, so then with ID3 tags, It shows the original artists name, not the DJ's.

If I add the DJ's name to the Artist, then it will be listed DJ - Artist, but it wont combine those because the player will think they are different artists etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumsy bot View Post
I emailed creative; they confirmed this.

I am disappointed.
I was very disappointed when I saw a screenshot of the the text that says its not supported