android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Giancarlo Giancarlo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 142
Default

I think this has gone a bit off topic... probably partly because of me. Sorry.

I think all players have their pluses, but I think the Zen, at this point, has a greater amount of positives. On Creative's website you can send them your suggestions. Their technical support is very attentive, as is their sales support. I got a very nice email back from them about the release.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #42  
Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
covertrussian's Avatar
covertrussian covertrussian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
I think this has gone a bit off topic... probably partly because of me. Sorry.

I think all players have their pluses, but I think the Zen, at this point, has a greater amount of positives. On Creative's website you can send them your suggestions. Their technical support is very attentive, as is their sales support. I got a very nice email back from them about the release.
It happens

Good thing is EnzoTen is updating all of the good features to the first post. So that they can be easily found and read

To each is his own, or something like that. If the Creative Zen floats your boat, and you dont mind the little issues, by all means get it. I think eventually, if Creative fixes some of the issues, I will buy one of these bad boys
__________________
-Insignia Pilot 8GB - Dead , Screen is not easily replaceable at all
-Cowon D2 16GB - The Pilot Replacement
Reply With Quote

  #43  
Old 09-26-2007, 11:59 PM
FURR's Avatar
FURR FURR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 549
Default

"off topic" the Pilot looks very promising. they had it at our local BestBuy here.
__________________
S9 16GB Chrome
Reply With Quote

  #44  
Old 09-29-2007, 11:08 PM
ofacto ofacto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 18
Default

Bug Fix request.

Actually be able to play videos all the way thru. I've had to reset the ZEN a couple of times cause it crashed while playing videos. I'm using the newest firmware and used the included software to convert the vids.

Firmware suggestions:

*Ability to choose a smaller display font
*When the thing crashes, make it so holding down the power button will turn it off/reset the device
*FIX the screen flicker (unless I have a defective ZEN) there is a noticable screen flicker
Reply With Quote

  #45  
Old 09-29-2007, 11:13 PM
covertrussian's Avatar
covertrussian covertrussian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 586
Default

Hey guys I got my Pilot! I will try to break it and stuff and then will post some info about it
__________________
-Insignia Pilot 8GB - Dead , Screen is not easily replaceable at all
-Cowon D2 16GB - The Pilot Replacement
Reply With Quote

  #46  
Old 09-30-2007, 06:38 PM
joey301 joey301 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
I

I never listen to FM, but other people tend to love it, all my friends who have iPods, want the FM radio feature...
FM is the only reason I don't use my iPod. I love National Public Radio, I just with my Zen would record it when I wanted. However, Zencast has most of the NPR shows that I want.
Joey
Reply With Quote

  #47  
Old 09-30-2007, 08:05 PM
covertrussian's Avatar
covertrussian covertrussian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey301 View Post
FM is the only reason I don't use my iPod. I love National Public Radio, I just with my Zen would record it when I wanted. However, Zencast has most of the NPR shows that I want.
Joey
The Insignia Pilot records FM radio, it does record it at WMA format though, but the sound quality is as good as it was on the radio, which was pretty good!
__________________
-Insignia Pilot 8GB - Dead , Screen is not easily replaceable at all
-Cowon D2 16GB - The Pilot Replacement
Reply With Quote

  #48  
Old 10-03-2007, 10:54 AM
junglehusky junglehusky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Angry Big problem for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydini View Post
I agree with Almoxil's reasoning but unfortunately, Creative's history with improving memory card functionality isn't exactly stellar. The Vision W has a Compact Flash slot and the last time I checked, CF files are not integrated into its main library. The limited functionality of the expansion slot made it easier for me to choose the Archos 604 instead. Creative's inability (refusal?) to solve this problem with the Vision W makes me wonder if the Vision will share the same fate.
This is a major sticking point for me as well. I preordered a 16 GB zen but when I found out about this I decided to hold off on the purchase until they make is more workable (if ever). I have a large library of music (>60 gigs of WMA) and I want to replace my Zen Sleek (20GB) which I'm having issues with crashing. A non HD based player with expansion is attractive to me, but not if you can't integrate the files on the SD card with files on the player. The fact that you can't even browse by ID3 makes it worse...

I emailed Creative to ask if they will address these issues in future firmware updates, and also if you can at least put playlists on the SD card (for me this would be an acceptable workaround to no ID3's), here's their response:

Quote:
I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to provide information on
the features of the player in future. You would like to know that you
are not able to save a playlist on the SD card.
So... I'm holding off for now, if Creative doesn't think this is important, that's up to them I won't buy a new Zen until they do something to fix it. I may wind up going with the Cowon D2 or back to a larger HD based player, maybe hold my nose and get the 80GB Zune.

PS thanks to Enzo for the review, it was definitely the most helpful one I've read.
Reply With Quote

  #49  
Old 10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
joey301 joey301 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Bug Fixes
  • Add bookmarking ability to video
  • add more book marks
  • Integrate SD card into the main library like ever other player
  • MSC/MTP Option
  • More Codec Support: OGG, FLAC, ect...
  • Native video support like the Zen Vision:M (dont know if this is possible, but it would be nice)
  • ability to copy from SD to main memory and back
  • FM Recording
Not too sure I would need all of this either. I'm pretty happy with my Zen. The zencast is working now and that was important to me. I do wish it was easier to add video without all the conversion, especially Google vids. I don't know if i want the SD card to be integrated because I like being able to hot swap it, but I do wish I could move files back and forth while the SD card was inserted. This would be great for using my camera SD card in the Zen. I do wish I could record FM, but I don't think Creative will ever add that since they just took it away a year or two ago. My Muvo will record. I have found the FM reception to be better that what I experienced with the Muvo, although it could be the earphones, but, nevertheless, it works just fine in the gym. I have had a couple of freezes and I wonder why that happens.
One other thing I have noticed. I got the marshmellow earphones as someone here recommended, they sound great, but they do not work well for running. The foam makes a noise in my hear because it moves a little when I run, it kind of bounces and the noise can overpower the music or radio.

Im having a lot of fun with it so far, still fighting the urge to get the extended warranty.

Joey
Reply With Quote

  #50  
Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 AM
gremwood gremwood is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Default

The ease to customize without an add-on software?
Reply With Quote

  #51  
Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Giancarlo Giancarlo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 142
Default

In fact an important firmware update has been around since September 14th. I went to Creative, clicked support, downloads (firmware), and picked the Zen 4/8/16GB... and it came up with this:

Click here

This firmware update improves SD card support and has been available for nearly a month. I strongly recommend this for anyone who owns the Zen. In fact always check the firmware on your new player to see if it is up-to-date, some things come out after your player left the factory.

Seems like Creative is being extremely responsive, as usual.
Reply With Quote

  #52  
Old 10-15-2007, 04:58 AM
Riolist Riolist is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
This firmware update improves SD card support and has been available for nearly a month.
I don't have a player yet so I can't test this. Can you say in what way the SD card support is improved?
Reply With Quote

  #53  
Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Giancarlo Giancarlo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolist View Post
I don't have a player yet so I can't test this. Can you say in what way the SD card support is improved?
I actually waited for someone who has the player to tell us...
Reply With Quote

  #54  
Old 10-18-2007, 10:14 PM
foundation foundation is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 76
Default

I have one. I thought the firmware description was quite clear about this? The update improved compatibility with SD Cards. Functionality is unchanged.

For me, implementation of the SD card slot and main memory is a non-issue. I like it the way it is, because it gives me freedom to arrange SD cards how I'd like and explore them with the file browser. 8 gigs of main memory gives me ~150 albums of music (that's room enough to store my favourites - and then some!). The SD Card slot lets me transport mp3s for easy sharing if required, and functions as an unlimited video player.

Oh I'd better get back on topic, I found a definite bug. When the Zen is switched off in shuffle mode, on resume it recalls where it was up to on the current track, but not the track. It will load a random different track and start this track from the remembered position. More a quirk than a flaw.
Reply With Quote

  #55  
Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 PM
The_Bell The_Bell is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Default

Suggestion (although it's more for the Zencast software than for the Zen specifically):
-Auto delete played podcasts on sync.
Reply With Quote

  #56  
Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Highlander Highlander is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
Default

adding UMS/MSC support would be a good point to me. do you think there is any chance Creative will add it in a firmware update ?
Reply With Quote

  #57  
Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 PM
foundation foundation is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURR View Post
yep, as everyone mentioned the way the ZEN handles SD Cards must be fixed otherwise go with a Cowon D2.
But over on the Cowon D2 board I came across this question and answer:

Quote:
3. I've heard that browsing by files is hard when going between SD card and internal memory. Is this something that might be fixed by firmware updates?
Quote:
3: you have to browse up to the root, then choose between internal and external memory and then browse down the folder structure again, but on the other hand the zen is way way worse since it totally lacks sdhc integration alltogether
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=21185


I don't have a D2, but that really doesn't sound (despite CPtnodegard, the iAudio Moderator's words) significantly different to the Zen, where you press one button to get to the main menu, select Memory Card -> Browse then choose your folder? Are people perhaps making too much of this?
Reply With Quote

  #58  
Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Valdr Valdr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PL
Posts: 339
Default

The lack of SD integration is not so painful for me, I do not need access to all tracks on player and SD simultaneously since i usually prefer to listen whole albums. With a good structure of folders on SD I also do not need ID3 support that much, tho it would be nice to browse and play music on SD using tags. On the other hand it's not crucial to me I usually do not use playlists or bookmarks. What I'd really miss in the player is:
1. Ability to copy/move files between integrated memory and SD
2. Ability to delete files from SD
3. Zooming pictures in 1:1 scale
4. Zoom option for SD card pictures (I really miss that since ZEN with it's colorful screen is perfect for viewing photos from digital camera)
5. Player could remember the position of recently played movie on SD also
I think that especially last 3 points aren't hardware limited and could be easily improved in firmware.
I'd also like to see txt files support and less restrictions in video resolution (just to make this player a perfect thing in the world) but if it's impossible I'm sure I can live without it.
Btw. do you think this topic has any sense? Does anyone from firmware programmers staff look here? I doubt it since they probably do not even read their own official forums ...
Reply With Quote

  #59  
Old 12-16-2007, 12:51 PM
joey301 joey301 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 26
Default Great improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdr View Post
TWhat I'd really miss in the player is:
1. Ability to copy/move files between integrated memory and SD
2. Ability to delete files from SD
3. Zooming pictures in 1:1 scale
4. Zoom option for SD card pictures (I really miss that since ZEN with it's colorful screen is perfect for viewing photos from digital camera)
5. Player could remember the position of recently played movie on SD also
I think that especially last 3 points aren't hardware limited and could be easily improved in firmware.
I'd also like to see txt files support and less restrictions in video resolution (just to make this player a perfect thing in the world) but if it's impossible I'm sure I can live without it.
Btw. do you think this topic has any sense? Does anyone from firmware programmers staff look here? I doubt it since they probably do not even read their own official forums ...
Hey, I hope they look here because I really like your ideas for improvements
Joey
Reply With Quote

  #60  
Old 12-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Hartmeister Hartmeister is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Default Yes the is a difference between the D2 and Zen

Actually it is a big difference. In ID3 mode the SD card and internal memory are completely integrated in the D2. What some Cowon users want is the relative magical ability to switch between SD and Internal memory in the directory browse mode (you can switch the ID3 tag system off in the D2 and browse like we did when we didn't use ID3 tagging to navigate in MP3 players, Cowon was the last major player to add ID3 tag systems and it keeps the old system available) without going through the root. The difference of the level of SD integration between the D2 and the Zen is huge.

Also I'd like to squash one big rumor that some posters and reviewers have said or implied. As far as I've read there are NO plans on integrating the SD with the internal memory's music library. Many have said have been implying that its only a matter of time (especially in many reviews on the internet) but I have seen no public or implied statements to suggest this. Like anyone else I would love to see a competitor to the D2 but the Zen isn't quite equal.

Why the integration does not exist is anyone's speculation. The Creative corporate line has been that the memories are different (internal is in a database format and the card is in FAT) so they can't be integrated. I also think there has been a big shift in how flash players are being used now that flash prices have become so cheap. Flash players are increasingly becoming the primary DAP for most users rather than an accessory device for jogging and athletic activities. Because of this most people are looking at the SD card as bosting the total amount of memory rather than just being a plug-in to add different content. Creative didn't need to add a lot of features to the SD feature because it was used mostly for TV shows, audiobooks, etc. Now people are looking at the 32G model would like to add a 16G SDHC card so they can get a 48G flash player to replace that old 40G hard drive model.

But again the primary opponent is Cowon and they do offer SD card integration so I just don't understand why Creative doesn't bite the bullet and do the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundation View Post
But over on the Cowon D2 board I came across this question and answer:




http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=21185


I don't have a D2, but that really doesn't sound (despite CPtnodegard, the iAudio Moderator's words) significantly different to the Zen, where you press one button to get to the main menu, select Memory Card -> Browse then choose your folder? Are people perhaps making too much of this?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.