android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
The Zen uses the Nucleus RTOS (Real Time Operating System) from ATI (Accelerated Technology Inc.) which supports FAT file systems up to FAT32 which has a max file size limit of 4GB. I believe the Nucleus RTOS doesn't support a file system that supports larger then 4GB files.
4GB? Uh I done a test recently BobbyRS. Even though I make a file @ 2.5GB and transfer to Zen and it says it was no supported by Zen, looks like I have no choice but to try 700MB file test soon. Yeah I'll report back when it actually works.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, 4GB would be in correlation to supporting the FAT-FAT32 file systems. The Zen also supports the NTFS as well, which its file size limit is only limited by its volume size. The Zen's OS (Nucleus RTOS) supports these file systems through virtualization. It could very easily not supports the max file sizes in those file systems even though it virtually supports reading/writing to them. There could be limitations set in place within the virtual file system support the Nucleus OS uses for them. Although, I've never tested it to the Zen's limit, I do have a video file that is over 1GB copied to the Zen and it plays fine.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-22-2008, 03:16 PM

Default Firmware Updates

Suggested updates after a few days use of the Zen:

Probably not that important to most people.. I dont have a fancy phone, so I actually find the calendar feature pretty nice.

Calendar
1) When you highlight a day have a pop-up window show in small text a summary of that days events and times.
2) Sync outlook labels with the events and set the color of the event in the calender (the bottom right corner color) to the color of the outlook label
3) Allow week & day views.. day view in portrait would be cool. week view in landscape..
4) Show date with the time on the header (next to battery)

FM
1) Keep playing the radio if you navigate away from it (i.e. if you are listening to the radio but want to look at the calendar...)
2) Allow for longer station names
3) Allow for all caps station names (i.e. WXRT versus Wxrt)
Contacts
1) Sync additional contact folders from outlook that have been made, not just the main contacts.
2) Be able to store scanned business cards link it to the contacts page.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

bruceleecc: Welcome to ABI. I too use the calendar/contacts and would second the issues you bring up regarding them. Good first post!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 PM

I wish they would do away with the Zen's unhealthy obsession with sorting things by the Title ID3 tag. It's nice that you can play all albums by a certain artist by pressing "play" when the artist is highlighted, but if you do that then it sorts all of the tracks alphabetically by title, destroying the order they appear on the albums. The only way to retain the correct track order is to choose each album individually.

IMO this was an oversight and I hope they fix it.

I also really would like to see an option for "All Tracks" in each section of the "Music" menu. It was by luck that I found that you can just press "play" to play everything within a category. That aspect just doesn't feel polished.

And, of course, I'd like to see UMS/MSC become an option. I have a HUGE gripe with MTP for 2 reasons:

1) it is slow as molasses
2) NONE of my syncing or tagging tools work on MTP devices. This means that ALL changes have to be made outside of the Zen and then re-synced, which is very time consuming (see 1.). Additionally, without being able to use compare tools such as BeyondCompare, it's nearly impossible to tell what is on the Zen vs. what is on my computer.

Another neat feature would be to be able to flip the controls so that the device can be operated left-handed. It seems odd that you are forced to use your right hand.

Oh. Also, within the "Music" section there should be an additional option for "Folder" that lets you browse based on folder/filenames instead of ID3 tags.

And ID3 Track Number tags should be sorted as TEXT, so that if I have a strangely-formatted track number (eg. 2-01) the player can properly handle it instead of ignoring the track number tag completely.

I think the player relies TOO much on proper ID3 tagging, which can be an incredible hassle to keep up with.

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-19-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
I wish they would do away with the Zen's unhealthy obsession with sorting things by the Title ID3 tag. It's nice that you can play all albums by a certain artist by pressing "play" when the artist is highlighted, but if you do that then it sorts all of the tracks alphabetically by title, destroying the order they appear on the albums. The only way to retain the correct track order is to choose each album individually.

IMO this was an oversight and I hope they fix it.

I also really would like to see an option for "All Tracks" in each section of the "Music" menu. It was by luck that I found that you can just press "play" to play everything within a category. That aspect just doesn't feel polished.
I second that wholeheartedly.

I also would like to be able to put "All tracks" of the album currently playing on the shortcut button.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I wish they would do away with the Zen's unhealthy obsession with sorting things by the Title ID3 tag.
When the tags are in good order, it actually works very well, but I know what you mean.

Welcome Speebs! You bring up some great points. Great first post.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
When the tags are in good order, it actually works very well, but I know what you mean.

Welcome Speebs! You bring up some great points. Great first post.

Thanks... I had been lurking for a while and the lack of complaints here is what prompted me to get a Zen

To clarify, though; when you press "play" on an artist, the tracks are alphabetized no matter how perfect the tagging is. You'd have to put the track number in the title field for it to sort properly. Unless I'm doing something wrong...?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
To clarify, though; when you press "play" on an artist, the tracks are alphabetized no matter how perfect the tagging is. You'd have to put the track number in the title field for it to sort properly. Unless I'm doing something wrong...?
Yes that is correct. I was just trying to point out that it still works out well with good tags. Just not in the way some may want.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-24-2008, 10:58 AM

i dont know if this has been sugested yet, but i would like to see the ability to change the shortcut button to the audio menu. i change my equlizer quite a bit, and that would cut down a lot on button presses

Old 06-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
i dont know if this has been sugested yet, but i would like to see the ability to change the shortcut button to the audio menu. i change my equlizer quite a bit, and that would cut down a lot on button presses
Me too. I believe you can do this on other Zen's, like the ZVM. So, yeah it would be nice to be able to do so on the new Zen as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
I don't need a TV out. I have a DVD player lol. Besides players with TV outs... the quality generally sucks.
on http://www.instructables.com/id/Supe...ideo-Projector there is a "Super sleek ipod or other device video projector" that you can make, which could be a cool alternative. aparently the quality is crystal clear and it doesn't need any power.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:37 PM

the TV out on my Zen Vision: M doesn't suck at all.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostile hams View Post
on http://www.instructables.com/id/Supe...ideo-Projector there is a "Super sleek ipod or other device video projector" that you can make, which could be a cool alternative. aparently the quality is crystal clear and it doesn't need any power.
Interesting. Thanks for posting the link.

....and yes, the video out on the ZVM is actually pretty damn good.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werezenwolf View Post
the TV out on my Zen Vision: M doesn't suck at all.
Ditto on that! I find that, with a well-encoded video, the quality of the TV-Out on my ZVM approaches that of my DVD player.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Lightbulb Suggestions

This is a VERY long thread.. so excuse me if this has been suggested before.. but after a few weeks with my Red 4GB Zen... this is what I wish for, some firmware, some other:

1) Better dock support. Why not have a user selectable docking format? I mean, when I dock to a PC, why can't I have a repeating picture slideshow play (never dimmed), or PC statistics (CPU,HD space), or something useful on the LCD screen along with the charging indicator. So simple, yet would make the product 100% more useful and even attract the PC modding crowd attention.

2) Dump the requirement to have the Zen connected to convert videos. Whoever thought of this requirement, should be dragged out into the streets and shot.

3) SD card integration with media library. Where is the dead horse? I want to beat it too.

4) Better software all around. The podcast thing is a joke, the Media Explorer is useful (unless you would like to play or view your media before deciding on what to transfer, cuz I have yet to figure out a way to preview videos, wich sucks. Convert videos (drop the connection requirement)).

5) DIFFERENT COLORED ICONS IN CALENDAR. Sheesh.. didn't mean to get angry. But is it too much to ask to be able to tell the difference quickly between, "Take out Garbage Day" and "Dad's Funeral". Wouldn't want to be wondering why the garbage wasn't picked up.. then remember.. oh crap...DAD! Green ALL DAY EVENTS, Yellow, hourly.. whatever... I don't care.. just some way. It makes the calendar basically useless to use.

Well that is it.. Other than those wishes and/or issues.. I love my Zen and I am sooo glad I stuck with Creative when I decided to retire my still 100% functional but very old Creative Nomad 2.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I mean, when I dock to a PC, why can't I have a repeating picture slideshow play (never dimmed), or PC statistics (CPU,HD space), or something useful on the LCD screen along with the charging indicator.

Well, I would imagine having something showing, screen not dimming, and constantly changing may cause the charging time of the Zen to slow way down since it will be using much more power while charging.

Also, having something like PC stats show on the screen would probably put the Zen in a constant communication state with the computer. Being in this state may possibly increase the amount of database corruptions because of the increased chance of unplugging the Zen while it is communicating with the computer.

Quote:
Dump the requirement to have the Zen connected to convert videos. Whoever thought of this requirement, should be dragged out into the streets and shot.

There is no requirement for the Zen to be connected in order to convert videos for the Zen. The only time the Zen is required to be connected is when you are actually transferring files.

Quote:
Better software all around. The podcast thing is a joke, the Media Explorer is useful (unless you would like to play or view your media before deciding on what to transfer, cuz I have yet to figure out a way to preview videos, wich sucks. Convert videos (drop the connection requirement)).

Yeah, the Creative software is pretty much useless, extremely buggy (especially with Vista), and also not needed at all. I do not use any of the Creative software nor do I ever recommend using it.

With that said, drop using the Creative software and familiarize yourself with converting the videos yourself using other software. It can be a much faster and more reliable. Check out the Zen FAQ (see signature below) and the video sub-forum for more information. Welcome to ABI bshuler and enjoy the Zen!

Zen FAQ

Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenippsound View Post
Wow do i feel Stupid, just playing around the other day and relized that you can set the shortcut button to the audio menu by first selecting the jump to... , which gives you acess to all the menu items. i feel stupid but the revalation makes me happy!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Aww, don't feel stupid.... fell enlightened.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 PM

Default SD card playback interuption

I can live without the SD card integration, but there are two quirks that are really starting to bother me, and I haven't heard anybody mention these.

1) When I'm playing from the SD card the music stops when I browse to another directory (for example, when I want to look at the other songs on my SD card).

2) I'm playing from the SD card and turn off the player and then turn it on again - it doesn't remember the song that was playing and starts me at the "Music" top level menu. So I have to browse through the menus to get back to the album that I was playing. When I'm playing from internal memory, the player picks up immediately from whatever song was playing.

Does anybody else see these things happen?