android
Old 09-26-2007, 01:50 PM

Unhappy Just picked up new 8 GB Zen

Looks good. I'm coming from an IRIVER and SAMSUNG T9 players. So far one thing has me concerned compared to the other two players: the Zen's volume doesn't go that high.

I have to crank it up to over 80% to get it at a level that's comfortable. The IRIVER and SAMSUNG players only need the volume turned on half way and that's LOUD. I've tried playing with the EQ settings for the CREATIVE ZEN but no luck. This sucks. I wanted to like this player, too.

I might have to switch to the IRIVER CLIX G2.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 PM

Ok, where is ZenChick when we need her.

I do not know if the 8GB Zen is crippled in the same way but the 30gig and 60gig Zen Vision M with European firmware have a volume limiter. The US firmware does not have this limit.

When I changed my ZVM from EU to US firmware my listening level changed from 23/25 down to 18/25, thus giving me more headroom on my amp.

When I switched to using the CX300 IEMs I dropped to 13/25 for the same sound level in my head

BTW which headphones are you using?

Old 09-26-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Using Sony earbuds

Here are the headphones i'm using. Just some basic Sony earbuds. They sound great for the money and in my IRIVER and SAMSUNG. But not the CREATIVE ZEN---at least volume wise.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-ED21L...829893&sr=8-41

The firmware problem you mention is interesting. I bought my Zen in the States: Fry's Electronics to be exact. I think it is with US firmware by default. Is there any way to check?

Old 09-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

I don't think you want to mess with any sound limiters they might have... here are some reasons why:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4162028.stm

You have to be very careful. I don't turn mine up that loud because of this and I think limiters are a good thing.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
I don't think you want to mess with any sound limiters they might have... here are some reasons why:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4162028.stm

You have to be very careful. I don't turn mine up that loud because of this and I think limiters are a good thing.
Yep agreed.

The limiter is set to 80db based on the headphones that ship with the player.

If you upgrade to headphones with a higher resistance in ohms or with a lower sensitivity then the amp may run out of steam before you get anywhere near the 80db sound level.

Typical buds are 16ohm
Grado SR60 are 32 ohm
Sennheiser HD280pro are 64 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT770 are 80 ohm and 300 ohm depending on version

The link you posted to has great advice. We should all read and take note.

I take inner ear defenders along to gigs just incase the guy that set up the sound was deaf and set it way too loud. I have used em at about half the gigs I have been to in the last year!!

My lads are now 14 and 16, but if they were younger, I would use the lock out that is a feature of some players that gives parental control of max volume.

It just occured to me that the ZVM has a track to track volume equaliser, with this switched on there is also a marked reduction in maximum volume. I dont know if the Zen has a similar feature. My youngest has a Zen Stone and this still sounds great to me and has enough umph

Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

Anything higher than 80db would cause us to go deaf. 110 db is what some players can reach... that's dangerous. Completely dangerous. I think limiters are there for your own well being. And besides if you abide by them you'll be able to hear the nice music longer. I tried to unlock my ZVM which does have a limiter but after hearing about this story I decided not to. And heck, I paid $29.95 for a set of premium sony headphones... it isn't very loud, but it is very clear and has more bass than any other one I've tried. I prefer clear, rich sound over loud sound.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Don't need volume limiters

I don't care for these paternal laws. If I want to blow my ears out, let me. That said, my Samsung T9 has never seen past 22 (the volume goes up to 40). I usually average 10-15 on volume and it sounds great.

I don't use the volume much, but it's definitely nice to have. Sometimes you just want to rock.

However, it's worrisome to see a player (Creative Zen) having to be cranked up to over 80% of the max volume for it to produce a decent volume.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhatherland View Post
I don't care for these paternal laws. If I want to blow my ears out, let me. That said, my Samsung T9 has never seen past 22 (the volume goes up to 40). I usually average 10-15 on volume and it sounds great.

I don't use the volume much, but it's definitely nice to have. Sometimes you just want to rock.

However, it's worrisome to see a player (Creative Zen) having to be cranked up to over 80% of the max volume for it to produce a decent volume.
Okay, well there are ways to hack around them. They do it in Europe all the time. Either way, I find that 18/25 is fine...

Old 10-01-2007, 05:08 PM

lol i got my zen v and the max is 25 at home i have it from 8-12 and on the bus from like 16-19 :P

Old 10-01-2007, 07:03 PM

what i tend to notice is that if your music files are normalized, then it may sound 'low'.
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 10-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Banned

And some tracks simply are louder than others. I find that certain live albums are unbearable beyond 17/25... while others need to be cranked up to 23/25 or so..

Old 10-03-2007, 03:59 PM

yea...i brought my zvw into school today and on the bus i had the videos going and i could not here at all even with the volume ALL THE WAY up. music wasn't an issue though

Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 PM

well usually, for some reason, video volumes are low depending on how they are encoded/converted.
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM

Especially AC3 ones.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:38 PM

I to am disopointed with the vol. you will not be sorry if you get the clix2, 4 or 8 gb, much nicer player than the Zen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhatherland View Post
Looks good. I'm coming from an IRIVER and SAMSUNG T9 players. So far one thing has me concerned compared to the other two players: the Zen's volume doesn't go that high.

I have to crank it up to over 80% to get it at a level that's comfortable. The IRIVER and SAMSUNG players only need the volume turned on half way and that's LOUD. I've tried playing with the EQ settings for the CREATIVE ZEN but no luck. This sucks. I wanted to like this player, too.

I might have to switch to the IRIVER CLIX G2.
sansa 270 6gb
bose earbuds, Bose on ear, Sennheiser hD555 on ear