android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 09-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Couple of questions to ZEN Owners before I make my mind!!!

Hello!

I'm currently an owner of Cowon D2, and because of its horrible music library and inconvenience of touchscreen ability, I was thinking of moving away to Creative Zen 16GB model. (although D2 has the best sound quality and meaningful(?) abilities ever)

and I was wondering if i could ask few questions.

A. does the library ignore "The" in front of the artists name?
ex) "The Beatles" can be found in "B" section, not "T" (This pissed me off when I was using Cowon D2...)

B. I know SD card support is absolutely horrible, so I'm intending to use SD card for video and picture purpose only. Do videos and pictures on SD card perform as well as ones in the actual device memory?

C. I'm using Mediamonkey and since it uses MTP device, I'm pretty sure I won't have any problems with it (I used Gigabeat S30 and it worked perfectly with Mediamonkey), but just to make sure... if I create m3u list on mediamonkey and transfer to ZEN, would it still read the playlist?

D. Cowon D2 can only display 5 items on the screen. How many artist names can ZEN display on the screen?

E. As for transcoding video files to ZEN, is it possible to transfer the files without using Windows Media Player? (using other transcoding programs..)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-29-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealofsoul View Post
Hello!

I'm currently an owner of Cowon D2, and because of its horrible music library and inconvenience of touchscreen ability, I was thinking of moving away to Creative Zen 16GB model. (although D2 has the best sound quality and meaningful(?) abilities ever)

and I was wondering if i could ask few questions.

A. does the library ignore "The" in front of the artists name?
ex) "The Beatles" can be found in "B" section, not "T" (This pissed me off when I was using Cowon D2...)

B. I know SD card support is absolutely horrible, so I'm intending to use SD card for video and picture purpose only. Do videos and pictures on SD card perform as well as ones in the actual device memory?

C. I'm using Mediamonkey and since it uses MTP device, I'm pretty sure I won't have any problems with it (I used Gigabeat S30 and it worked perfectly with Mediamonkey), but just to make sure... if I create m3u list on mediamonkey and transfer to ZEN, would it still read the playlist?

D. Cowon D2 can only display 5 items on the screen. How many artist names can ZEN display on the screen?

E. As for transcoding video files to ZEN, is it possible to transfer the files without using Windows Media Player? (using other transcoding programs..)
A. Yes, the library ignores the "THE".
B. They play back fine from the SD card.
C. Not sure since I don't use this program.
D. It can list 7 artist names (I think it can still be pretty usable with a smaller font to display more names but I can't find an option to do this)
E. Yes you can use other transcoding programs as long your settings are right (WMV 320x240). Then just copy and past them directly into the ZEN.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 PM

Default New Poster - Quick Question

Hello,

New poster, will back off quickly. I have seen the mention of the SD Card integration of songs into playlist, etc...

However, I have not seen (please be nice if it is posted but I missed it) if Creative has indicated if they are going to fix it or not? Or, if they have even acknowledged that they are aware of it and if it is a problem.

If they have, have they indicated if they are planning on fixing it and if they have are they going to do it before Christmas?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM

Default I have a few questions for the Zen...

1. Does zen work well in MSC mode with Media Monkey???
2. Does playlist have to be made via MTP mode?
3. How does Album Art work with Zen?? Cowon D2 have it like x.jpg will show up for x.mp3 ONLY or cover.jpg will show up for everything in the folder.
4. How have the HDSC card slot been fixed by the firmware? is it integrated with the internal memory now?

Those are my questions so far. thanks for reading.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kururu View Post
1. Does zen work well in MSC mode with Media Monkey???
2. Does playlist have to be made via MTP mode?
3. How does Album Art work with Zen?? Cowon D2 have it like x.jpg will show up for x.mp3 ONLY or cover.jpg will show up for everything in the folder.
4. How have the HDSC card slot been fixed by the firmware? is it integrated with the internal memory now?

Those are my questions so far. thanks for reading.
  1. No. The Zen doesn't support MSC/UMS mode. It only works as a MTP device;
  2. You can either build on-the-go playlists on the player (it's one of the strongest points of Creative's players) or create and sync playlists using WMP, MM and other similar applications;
  3. The above applications will also sync embedded album art to the player for you. One word of caution, though: with the Zen Vision:M, if you changed the syncing program (lets say, from WMP to MM) you would have to format the memory and sync the tracks again. If not, there would be issues with album art "disappearing" and the like.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 PM

does that mean i have to embed album art into the tag to have it show up i was looking for like a drag'n'drop :/

Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not sure whether the new Zen will handle and show album art for tracks loaded via Windows Explorer (at least the Zen Vision:M didn't do that for me; I always have to use MediaMonkey to sync tracks and get album art to show up). Maybe someone else can shed some light on this matter.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Hey dont back off, the more the merrier.

It seems they have acknowledged, it but we are still awaiting details on what they consider 'fixed'

Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 AM

Thanks. I am trying to decide between the Zen and the Insignia Pilot for some Christmas presents. Have not heard almost nothing bad about the Pilot but the Zen looks neater.

Tony

Old 10-18-2007, 09:03 PM

Only to confirm it works as you suggest!
Because I can't fathom how WMP works with art, I keep album art embedded in each track. This way it shows up in WMP and on my Clix2. Copying these directly to the Zen using Explorer left me without any art. So I used Creative Explorer -> Add Media instead which of course worked perfectly. Now my problem is because I use WMP on my pc, but not to sync to the Zen, my song ratings aren't kept updated. But that's a whole different (very minor) issue.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for confirming that, foundation. And welcome to ABi!

Old 10-21-2007, 11:25 PM

Almoxil, how would you compare the Zen to the M6, and cowon d2, i have both the m6 and the d2, i also have clix2. I was looking into the Zen 16 gb. I like the gb capacity + the sd card option of the Zen 16 gb, how is the sound and video, the Zen 16 looks alot like the m6. It looks like you have the same uncontrolable problem collecting players like i do?
sansa 270 6gb
bose earbuds, Bose on ear, Sennheiser hD555 on ear

Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
Almoxil, how would you compare the Zen to the M6, and cowon d2, i have both the m6 and the d2, i also have clix2. I was looking into the Zen 16 gb. I like the gb capacity + the sd card option of the Zen 16 gb, how is the sound and video, the Zen 16 looks alot like the m6. It looks like you have the same uncontrolable problem collecting players like i do?
Well, I don't have the Zen to be honest, but sound quality wise it should be a great player. I still have my Zen Vision:M and my Zen V Plus, and actually use them a lot. The only problem I have with my Zen players is that enabling the EQ adds some "veil" to the music (even with a flat EQ). I tried several firmware versions, and the problem is still there. But out of the box with no EQ'ing and effects, they have a nice and warm sound.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 PM

Does the zen 8gb support fonts, text, themes and games
sansa 270 6gb
bose earbuds, Bose on ear, Sennheiser hD555 on ear

Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
fonts
Yes, but only the one it comes with! ;-P
Quote:
text
No. But you can install a freeware jpeg printer driver such as Miraplacid Publisher, set your word processor page setup to 12cm by 9cm (or 4 inches by 3 inches) and it will produce much better results than any reader I’ve seen on an MP3 player to date. And you’ll have full control over fonts/size/format/images etc.
Quote:
themes
No, but you can change the background image. Mine has tux on it… which is a bit ironic given MTP-only.
Quote:
games
No. But I’ve yet to see an mp3 player that is a useable gaming device. The Clix2 comes closest with its flash-lite, but those games kept me amused for minutes rather than hours.