android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Default No keypad

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
Oh good point, this brings me to the next suggestion, being able to rename files on the go!

So by default when you create a playlist on the go, it will name id OTGPlaylist01... in the Playlists folder. Then you can go in there and rename it!
I'd like to vote on this, but I'm just not sure how you would enter text into the Pilot. Can you suggest an interface for that?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Basically this is what it should do: Say your listening to your huge playlist of music, you get this one song stuck in your head and you want to listen to it right now. So you find the song, click on in and instead of selecting "Play Now" or "Add Now Playing" you select the new feature of "Play Now Keeping Old Playlist". This allows you to listen to the song you like and then go back to the usual play list.
Yes on this. I think adding to the playlist after the current track, then just advancing to that track sounds about right. "Add to playlist and play", or "Insert into playlist" might be other good names.

Quote:
I this thing happens to me quite a bit, and it gets painful to switch back to playing all or specific playlist.... esp if your now driving, while you found the song while you were on the stop light
Just think, Insignia, with this feature you could be saving lives by keeping us from futzing with it while we drive!!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Voting Yes to Album Art in MSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
Only way I've found to include album art is via MTP. It would be great if cover.jpg or folder.jpg or [album name].jpg could be used as cover art. Added bonus would be if these were ignored in the Pictures list, but if not, that's fine too.
Voting for this one

Old 10-09-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Maybe I just haven't found the right syntax, but M3U playlists via MSC would be nice. M3U is a very simply format that is just a list of file pointers. If these were relative to the Pilot filesystem, I don't see why that shouldn't work. Seems like lots of people are attracted to this player because of the MSC support, so it would be nice if everything worked via MSC (playlists, album art, etc.). If I'm just missing something, please help me out!
It seems like the M3U Playlists do work, but I only had the first couple songs work... So voting for better playlist support for MSC people.

Quote:
I'd like to vote on this, but I'm just not sure how you would enter text into the Pilot. Can you suggest an interface for that?
Oh thats not a problem. It could have the interface like an iPod has

To make it better, you can either use the scroll wheel to select letters or you can use the arrow keys to select the letters.

The Zen Vision:M also has this, but they decided to use the QWERTY keyboard layout... it sucks btw

Quote:
Yes on this. I think adding to the playlist after the current track, then just advancing to that track sounds about right. "Add to playlist and play", or "Insert into playlist" might be other good names.

Just think, Insignia, with this feature you could be saving lives by keeping us from futzing with it while we drive!!
Tehehheehhehehe - *Agreeing with a little evil chuckle*

Old 10-09-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Oh thats not a problem. It could have the interface like an iPod has

To make it better, you can either use the scroll wheel to select letters or you can use the arrow keys to select the letters.

The Zen Vision:M also has this, but they decided to use the QWERTY keyboard layout... it sucks btw
Alright, sweet... I'll vote yes for that. Though it might be nice if the left/right arrow keys would move around in the text instead of select a letter? And yes, if there is a sequential progression through the alphabet, alphabetical order seems natural.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Suggestion: Charing via USB and Using the Place

Say I want to charge the device via USB and still listen to music

Now by default it would mount to the computer and go into the "docked" state. But say pressing and holding the menu button would turn off the docked state and let you listen to music so that you could charge etc.

Always found it annoying that no DAP's have that

Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 PM

>Say I want to charge the device via USB and still listen to music

You can with the Pilot, provided you're connected to a USB charger rather than to your PC. There's even a setting in the Settings > USB Mode screen called Charger which allows you to specify whether the player should automatically pause when disconnected from the charger. Really nice feature.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Lightbulb Album Art - MSC Capabilities Reversed Engineered

Quote:
Only way I've found to include album art is via MTP. It would be great if cover.jpg or folder.jpg or [album name].jpg could be used as cover art. Added bonus would be if these were ignored in the Pictures list, but if not, that's fine too.
A simple method for embedding album art into ID tags, transferring the audio to the player and have the Album Art properly displayed, utilizing the MSC USB mode. No "Syncing" or MTP file transfer software is needed, just a FREE, relatively simple to use tagging program called Mp3tag. I am sure that there are other similar programs that will also work.

A. Software:

Mp3tag was used to embed the Album Art into the audio tracks. Once embedded, there is no need to leave the Album Art jpeg file in the audio folder, or for that matter to place it anywhere else on the player.

B. Method:

Use MSC (Files & Folders) USB mode. I simply drag/copy the audio folder to either the AUDIBLE or MUSIC folders from within Windows Explorer to the Pilot.

C. Album Art Parameters:

***Any JPeg picture image can be used, provided it meets these parameters:

1. File size MUST BE less than 64KB.

2. JPEG format only. (I have not tried any other format)

3. Image size can be anything up to 768x768 pixels. (This image size limit may be artificial, due to the fact that Mp3tag will not display larger images in the viewer window when embedding the Album Art into the audio tracks)

D. Other Considerations:

1. Mp3tag can automatically generate a playlist file which by default is mp3tag.m3u which if renamed to XXX..n.m3u and if left in the audio folder copied to the player will be recognized and can be accessed via the "Playlist" menu icon.

2. If you must resize the Album Art to meet the required parameters, its best to either not change the horizontal pixel width, or if you must, make it a multiple of 128 which in the native pixel width of the Album Art window displayed by the player. This will give better readability of the text in the album cover display window. When needed, I use Microsoft Photo Editor which is included in the XP OS, for all picture resizing.

3. I listen to audio books far more than music. As noted in the manual (for those among us who read such things) , if you place your audio folder in the AUDIBLE folder of the player, it will automatically generate and save a bookmark whenever you shutdown, or the player powers off on its own.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun with your Pilot; I've had mine for three days and like it better with each passing day.

Last edited by ggkrich; 10-09-2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Format

Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTree View Post
>Say I want to charge the device via USB and still listen to music

You can with the Pilot, provided you're connected to a USB charger rather than to your PC. There's even a setting in the Settings > USB Mode screen called Charger which allows you to specify whether the player should automatically pause when disconnected from the charger. Really nice feature.

Yes, but I don't always have my wall charger

Old 10-09-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkrich View Post
A simple method for embedding album art into ID tags, transferring the audio to the player and have the Album Art properly displayed, utilizing the MSC USB mode. No "Syncing" or MTP file transfer software is needed, just a FREE, relatively simple to use tagging program called Mp3tag. I am sure that there are other similar programs that will also work.

A. Software:

Mp3tag was used to embed the Album Art into the audio tracks. Once embedded, there is no need to leave the Album Art jpeg file in the audio folder, or for that matter to place it anywhere else on the player.

B. Method:

Use MSC (Files & Folders) USB mode. I simply drag/copy the audio folder to either the AUDIBLE or MUSIC folders from within Windows Explorer to the Pilot.

C. Album Art Parameters:

***Any JPeg picture image can be used, provided it meets these parameters:

1. File size MUST BE less than 64KB.

2. JPEG format only. (I have not tried any other format)

3. Image size can be anything up to 768x768 pixels. (This image size limit may be artificial, due to the fact that Mp3tag will not display larger images in the viewer window when embedding the Album Art into the audio tracks)

D. Other Considerations:

1. Mp3tag can automatically generate a playlist file which by default is mp3tag.m3u which if renamed to XXX..n.m3u and if left in the audio folder copied to the player will be recognized and can be accessed via the "Playlist" menu icon.

2. If you must resize the Album Art to meet the required parameters, its best to either not change the horizontal pixel width, or if you must, make it a multiple of 128 which in the native pixel width of the Album Art window displayed by the player. This will give better readability of the text in the album cover display window. When needed, I use Microsoft Photo Editor which is included in the XP OS, for all picture resizing.

3. I listen to audio books far more than music. As noted in the manual (for those among us who read such things) , if you place your audio folder in the AUDIBLE folder of the player, it will automatically generate and save a bookmark whenever you shutdown, or the player powers off on its own.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun with your Pilot; I've had mine for three days and like it better with each passing day.
Thats good, but it is problematic if you have lots of songs. I personally find the ability to just add a one JPG file to the folder the easiest. Plus this way you only have one thing increasing in size, so imagine a thousand songs all with 64k files, that will make you loose some space.... 64MB to be exact, But if you have only 10 albums, its only going to be 640k and not even the size of one song

Old 10-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Well, thank you for your input. I know about embedded album art and that's not my preference (though for anyone that wants this, mp3tag is pretty nice). The request is for cover.jpg or something similar to be supported via MSC. If no one else is interested, so be it. Plus, 64KB sounds excruciatingly small for use on a decent sized monitor. I'd like to have the same album art work on my computer as on the Pilot without some convoluted process to make it work. Also, imagine a box set with four cds... that's like 50 songs. Do I really need 50 copies of the same damn image (as you get with embedded)? With foobar2000, I can script it to only need one copy! I'd settle for four (one in each cd folder).

Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 PM

Default BUG: Photo thumbnails are altered when viewing photos from an SD Card

I was at 2 different Best Buys today and I brought along an SD card with pics from my 7MP camera. After I viewed a few photos, I noticed that I inadvertently changed the thumbnails of the photos that are preinstalled on the Pilot (I think they're photos of the band Lifehouse?). The device's photos display in their original form, but somehow I was able to replace their respective thumbnails with thumbnail sized photos from my SD card. When I took out my card, the newly altered thumbnails did NOT revert back to their original state.

I can also verify Mattschuette's bug report on certain photos locking up the player.

I don't own a Pilot, but if it had the following features I would buy it in a heartbeat:
  • Create, Save, and Name Multiple OTG Playlists
  • Play songs according to their rating
  • Reverse sync song ratings back to the computer
I don't know if my vote counts; If it does, I would like to vote on these 3 features.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 PM

Default BUG: Going Back

So about me saying there is no back feature in pictures... well it seems like if you click and hold the menu button it takes you back to the all pictures. This is still a bug because this is not what is stated in the documentation, I mean give me a break I never read documentations and this is like the first so thats why I'm so neat picky

Note this is still a bug with Text files, there is no way to go back

Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 PM

Default BUG: Deleting Files In File Browser Sends You Back To Root of File Browsing

In File Browser, if you delete a file that is say 20 folders in, it will Kick you back to the root of the file browser, were you have the option to select "NS-xV24" or "SDHC". This can get pretty annoying if you have to delete more then one file from the same directory.

Fix: When you delete a file, stay in the same directory that you were in before.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Hey, Tobey

When will the first message be updated? I think there are several votes for having the bookmark remember the playlist. This is critical for audiobooks. Also it would be nice if when you bookmarked a file, if a bookmark for that file already exists, overwrite it instead of just always taking the next empty slot. As it is now, your bookmark list quickly get filled up with bookmarks for the same file and you have to go through and delete them all before more can be added.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Default **BUG: Deleting Files- Back To Root Navigation Reversion

Quote:
In File Browser, if you delete a file that is say 20 folders in, it will Kick you back to the root of the file browser, were you have the option to select "NS-xV24" or "SDHC". This can get pretty annoying if you have to delete more then one file from the same directory.

Fix: When you delete a file, stay in the same directory that you were in before.
PB: I completely agree; after deleting a file, simply stay in the same directory!!! (The delete feature as it is insanely frustrating as I most often want to delete multiple tracks at the same time.)

** New:
PB: Ability to delete an entire folder, not just a single file. This would be very useful for us MSC mode users. It would be simple to delete a whole Audio Book or Music Album instead of one track at a time.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Bookmark Feature-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
When will the first message be updated? I think there are several votes for having the bookmark remember the playlist. This is critical for audiobooks. Also it would be nice if when you bookmarked a file, if a bookmark for that file already exists, overwrite it instead of just always taking the next empty slot. As it is now, your bookmark list quickly get filled up with bookmarks for the same file and you have to go through and delete them all before more can be added.
** I strongly agree!
A simple solution might be to overwrite the oldest bookmark once all the "slots" are full.
To force the need to manually erase bookmark files is very odd, given how I think most people use bookmarks (the Zen Vision-M has a good common sense approach to bookmarking).

Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Bug: Video Playback Degraded Using BT Headphones

When using BT headphones while viewing a video, many frames are periodically skipped. This results in the video being almost un-viewable, if the video is panning a wide view or complex motions are occurring.

If the same video is viewed with BT disabled, the motions are far more fluid and pleasurable to watch.

I guess the Pilot just runs out of proccessor horsepower if it must display video and encode/transmit BT audio???

Old 10-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Voting Yes

Quote:
PB: I completely agree; after deleting a file, simply stay in the same directory!!! (The delete feature as it is insanely frustrating as I most often want to delete multiple tracks at the same time.)

** New:
PB: Ability to delete an entire folder, not just a single file. This would be very useful for us MSC mode users. It would be simple to delete a whole Audio Book or Music Album instead of one track at a time.
Agreeing with this, I think I did mention this in my big features list

Old 10-13-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Bug: Click Sound When Pressing Menu Button From Now Playing

This bud doesn't always happen, but I noticed sometimes when you are playing a song and it has a quite part, you click the menu button it clicks, when you click again, it clicks again, etc. But it comes and goes, so it's kinda weird...