Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboSchvetBhals View Post
Cover recognition priority.
1. Embedded
2. Recognized Cover Name.jpg
3. Last resort, any image that happens to be in the folder
Agreed.

Frankly, I think it's pretty embarassing to release a product like this (great though it is, otherwise) without the ability to instantly recognize album art. A lot of people are going to expect to be able to just load their MP3's onto their MP3 player and be able to see the album art. I STILL haven't figured how to do it. I've tried loading jpg files on there, naming them "cover.jpg", naming them after the album, putting them in the album folder, putting them in the pics folder, and I still don't see them. I exchanged another Mp3 player for this (Sandisk Sansa e260r) and I was simply able to drag and drop Mp3's ripped from my CD's onto the drive and it'd display the album art without any extra work. It would be very nice if the Pilot worked the same way!

*Minor Bug*
Another issue is with the .m3u playlists. I made one via Windows Media Player and when I actually turned on my Pilot, only the first song in the playlist showed up. After tinkering around I discovered that if you go into the .M3U file with Notepad, and delete all the extra carriage returns between the different songs in the playlist. Doing so fixed the playlist, but this is a lot of extra work to make a simple playlist work right.

EDIT: And while on the subject of playlists, it'd be nice if we could add a track to a playlist from the device itself (as opposed to having to edit the playlist on your computer)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Suggestion: Quick Browsing by Letter

With these sized players, we have the ability for a lot of music. Well browsing through that music becomes difficult.

I wonder if it would be possible to include scrolling by letters. Kinda like Creative Zen has it. Were you have the the list of songs, then you click right and then you can scroll down by the first letters of the song/artist/album/genre you name it.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Better bookmarks and more TXT viewing features

I am in support of better bookmarking features, i.e. continuing on to next audiobook file in line after loading bookmark, auto-overwrite when bookmark list is full.

I am also in support of better TXT viewing options, i.e. larger text, bookmarking in text file, better end-of-line breaking.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Voting Yes for these

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoton12 View Post
I am in support of better bookmarking features, i.e. continuing on to next audiobook file in line after loading bookmark, auto-overwrite when bookmark list is full.

I am also in support of better TXT viewing options, i.e. larger text, bookmarking in text file, better end-of-line breaking.
I agree on all of those features.

It would be nice if the player could support basic HTML documents

Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 PM

Just going through the thread and wanted to add my support to some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
Context Menus
  • Pressing the Rating button would bring up a context menu, like pressing the play/pause button. This would allow to click on the folder and delete the folder or play the whole folder from the File Browsing menu. From there include the ability to do these tasks, while keeping all of the current ones:
    • Play Now Keeping Other Songs A lot of times I will navigate and find a song that I want to hear, but if I play it it will remove all my other songs in the now playing. If I add to now playing, then I have to navigate and find it. I just want to play that song now, then afterwards continue with the songs that were already in now playing.
    • Search Lets you search for a specific words on that page, or in sub folders. Searching for songs/artists/albums/genres in the Music Library
    • Volume Control Comes in useful
    • Changing the Play Mode Repeat/Shuffle etc.
I like this one, especially the last bulleted item there. As an addition, I'd like it if - even when in shuffle mode - I could pick a particular album I want to listen to and listen to it in order, not shuffled. Sometimes I feel like just listening to one album, and when I do I prefer it to play the tracks in order (some albums really need this to "flow" well). It's a bit annoying to have to go back to the settings page, change the play mode to normal, and then go back to the album.

Quote:
When in shuffle mode, pressing back plays a random song, not the song that you just skipped.
Yeah, please fix this. It's tolerable but annoying.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfield View Post
As an addition, I'd like it if - even when in shuffle mode - I could pick a particular album I want to listen to and listen to it in order, not shuffled. Sometimes I feel like just listening to one album, and when I do I prefer it to play the tracks in order (some albums really need this to "flow" well). It's a bit annoying to have to go back to the settings page, change the play mode to normal, and then go back to the album.
What about random album mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
Something I've gotten used to with Foobar2000 is "Shuffle (albums)" play mode. It plays tracks in album order, but when the last track in an album finishes playing, it randomly selects the next album to play.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Suggestion:Ability to change the default song sorting

Now this would fix what bgfield was talking about..

Say your player is normal playback mode, no shuffle, etc. When you click on Play All it will start you from Song number 1 out of XXXX.

Now if you click next, it will play some other song, most likely from a different album or even artist. This is because the default sorting of the songs is by the Song name ascending.

When you use the shuffle mode, Play All, it uses the defaultly sorted song list, as mentioned above. When you take it off shuffle because you want to hear another song in the same album as the currently playing song, well it just feeds you the next song in the SONG Name alphabetical order. Thus causing a lot of unpleasant and redundant for the fellow player operator.

Now if we had the option to select new default sorting to be Album instead, it would allow is to stop the shuffle mode at any time skip couple songs to get to a specific song in a particular album, then after listing to it, turn on shuffle and continue to be a happy listener

The feature mentioned above would be an awesome bare minimum addition, it would be even better if we could pass a few other options. So say I want to sort first by Artist, then alphabetically sort the albums, then alphabetically sort the songs in the album. Now that would be swell!
bgfield , I hope that is what you are looking for

Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Insignia Moderator

Thanks for all of the feedback thus far, guys! I will count votes this weekend. Keep 'em coming!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback thus far, guys! I will count votes this weekend. Keep 'em coming!
He does exist!

Kinda like Santa in this commercial...

Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Features/Bugs From NS-DV Feature Request List

I'm looking at the The Official Insignia NS-DV Feature Request List, and I would like to include some features mentioned into this list

Quote:
  • 16 Ability to remove songs from the "Now Playing" song list [5 votes]
  • 22b BUG: {Minor, Confirmed, Firmware 1.105, 1.200} While playing music in shuffle mode, hitting the back |<< button plays the next song on the list. It should go to the previous song played. [4 votes]
  • 14b BUG:{Major, Confirmed, Firmware: 1.105, 1.200} After charging, or syncing, player looses temporary bookmark, and starts at the beginning of the music collection. [5 votes]
  • -17 Ability to rearrange songs in the "Now Playing" song list [5 votes]
  • -66 Alarm clock function [7 votes]
  • -6c <FCR> Reverse menu button operation [4 votes]
    (PB: Pressing the "Menu" button briefly should take you to the previous screen, and holding it down should take you to the main menu. CB: Currently, it's just the opposite, which isn't what most users expect.)
  • -61 GAMES: Tetris [3 votes]
  • -27 The ability to record in the MP3 format [3 votes]
  • -85 GUI editor [2 votes]
    (Description" Maybe a program that can help change the color/background/text/whatnot for the players GUI, and then create a little file that can be loaded onto the player. Kind of like a skin creator.")
Does the Pilot have GAP less playback?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:33 AM

I love my Pilot and have been really pleased with it. However, there are a few niggling things that bother me enough that I registered in order to respond to this thread:

- I switch from music to video and back fairly often. I would LOVE a feature that retains "Now Playing" for music. I have to reload the playlist/album/etc every time I go back and forth and it really bothers me.

- Also, it drives me crazy that shuffle settings are universal for all media, even though it appears under "Audio" in settings. This is especially problematic when I switch between music and video, because I want my music to shuffle and my videos to play in sequence (tv shows).

- Along the same lines, I have to go to settings in order to shuffle my music, and then go back into settings to turn it off. I feel like there should be an easy button press from within "Now Playing" or something to shuffle/unshuffle.

- Finally, the Insignia (and whatever plugin is necessary) is not listed within the available players in Audible's Manager. I can't seem to sync up my audio books as a result.

So those are my bugs/feature requests. If they're actually already solved and I'm just too stupid to figure it out, I'd really appreciate any response. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Now if we had the option to select new default sorting to be Album instead, it would allow is to stop the shuffle mode at any time skip couple songs to get to a specific song in a particular album, then after listing to it, turn on shuffle and continue to be a happy listener
Holy crap! On a hunch, I just discovered something I didn't know before. With shuffle off, in the Music Library, click (Play/Pause) on Play All. You get the list as described above... song order. Now, go to Artist, click on the first one listed, select Play All - viola, artist order (seems to be artist then album). Try it with Album... boom, album order! Changing to a shuffle play mode after creating the list causes it to reshuffle, but if you go back to regular, the album order is maintained. That means, if we just had a quicker way to toggle play mode, you would pretty much have this. The rocker button does give you Audio Settings, which is one click shorter than going to the menu.

It's still not quite random album which would play tracks in album order, then randomly select another album by a (potentially) different artist. It does give you exactly what you describe above.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Holy crap! On a hunch, I just discovered something I didn't know before. With shuffle off, in the Music Library, click (Play/Pause) on Play All. You get the list as described above... song order. Now, go to Artist, click on the first one listed, select Play All - viola, artist order (seems to be artist then album). Try it with Album... boom, album order! Changing to a shuffle play mode after creating the list causes it to reshuffle, but if you go back to regular, the album order is maintained. That means, if we just had a quicker way to toggle play mode, you would pretty much have this. The rocker button does give you Audio Settings, which is one click shorter than going to the menu.

It's still not quite random album which would play tracks in album order, then randomly select another album by a (potentially) different artist. It does give you exactly what you describe above.
Yes that is the case, but I don't really always want to switch what songs are in my list, to listen just to one song in an album. So if the songs were sorted by artist/album in Play All then it would fix that

Old 10-18-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Yes that is the case, but I don't really always want to switch what songs are in my list, to listen just to one song in an album. So if the songs were sorted by artist/album in Play All then it would fix that
If you pick ANY one artist, album, genre, etc. and choose Play All in the context menu, it will play everything you have. Don't expand the artist or whatever, simply highlight it, click Play/Pause, then choose Play All. I have like 908 songs on my Pilot (4gb + 2gb) and it's adding all songs to the playlist. Did you try it ?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
If you pick ANY one artist, album, genre, etc. and choose Play All in the context menu, it will play everything you have. Don't expand the artist or whatever, simply highlight it, click Play/Pause, then choose Play All. I have like 908 songs on my Pilot (4gb + 2gb) and it's adding all songs to the playlist. Did you try it ?
Ahhh good point, never really tried that... it's just easier to use the play all feature

Old 10-20-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Firmware request for 'Sport' model

The way the 'sleep' timer works is clunky. The sleep function (found under 'time' in the settings menu) resets to 'off' every time the player is turned off or auto turns itself off. It would be much better if the player held the setting until it was changed. Currently you have to set the 'sleep' timer everytime you turn the player on if you want to have that feature working. Otherwise the feature is set to 'off'.

This is in the Sport model, I'm guessing it's true for the Pilot as well.l Also, please make these suggested firmware updates fin this thread for the Sport model too.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejm View Post
- Finally, the Insignia (and whatever plugin is necessary) is not listed within the available players in Audible's Manager. I can't seem to sync up my audio books as a result.

Hi,

The Insignia Pilot/Sport software is availabe from the Audible site. I'd not used the service before but did sign up with the offer packaged with the Sport and was able to download and play an audiobook on it. I selected the Insignia software when I downloaded audible manager. Not sure how you'd add the software to the audible manager you already have on your computer but I imagine there is a way.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Hi,

The Insignia Pilot/Sport software is availabe from the Audible site. I'd not used the service before but did sign up with the offer packaged with the Sport and was able to download and play an audiobook on it. I selected the Insignia software when I downloaded audible manager. Not sure how you'd add the software to the audible manager you already have on your computer but I imagine there is a way.
Thanks Wanda - I had been using a previous version that was already on my machine (I've been an Audible customer for a while). I couldn't get the Insignia plugins through that version, so per your post I downloaded the latest version and that did the trick. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Insignia Moderator

I apologize for the delay guys. All of this info ended up being a little more difficult to condense than I thought. But I'm working on it...

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM

It would also be nice if there could be a single button bookmarking feature. On my other mp3 player, you can program it to bookmark the currently playing file if you press and hold the play button for more than 3 seconds. Trying to set a bookmark if you are moving, driving, etc. requires several steps and a single step bookmarking would help a lot.