android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
It would also be nice if there could be a single button bookmarking feature. On my other mp3 player, you can program it to bookmark the currently playing file if you press and hold the play button for more than 3 seconds. Trying to set a bookmark if you are moving, driving, etc. requires several steps and a single step bookmarking would help a lot.
Pressing Play for several seconds on the Pilot already means Reverse/Fast Forward (you just use the dial after pressing play for a few seconds to move about the track). Maybe pressing for a few seconds on the rating rocker, since that is already related to bookmarking, could set a bookmark while on the Now Playing screen?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Suggestion: Play After Currently Playing

Would it be possible to add the feature of "Play After The Current Song Is Finished" feature to the context menu?

It would be nice to be able to play a specific song after you have listened to another song.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:37 PM

Saw this forum so decided to register. Love the player so far, aside from the annoyances most have already noted.

"Remember playlist after sync"(3) - Yes
"Album art"(5) - Yes
"Back in shuffle fix"(6) - Yes
"Better unicode support"(10) - Yes
"Copy to from SD"(17) - Yes
"Create Groups/Playlists based on song rating"(17) - Yes
"View picture thumbnails" (17) - Yes
"Playlist editing/creation" (18) - Yes
"Better bookmarking" (19) - Yes
"renaming playlists on the fly"(35) - Yes
"shuffle albums" (39) - Yes
"More intuitive deletion"(54) - Yes
"Reverse menu back opertation"(6) - Yes
"alarm clock" (66) - Yes
"Gapless playback"(70) - Yes
"insert song into playlist/ play next" (17/82) - Yes

**rename bookmarks, stations**
It'd be nice to rename bookmarks and stations, or in fact most anything, on the player. Specifically the bookmarks, this way if you have multiple bookmarks you can easily know which is which.

BUG: The RDS capture feature doesn't work well, it only exports the RDS information on screen to the text file, if the information is scrolling some is lost.

**bluetooth pairing to multiple units**
I don't know if this is a hardware limitation but it would be nice if the unit could pair with multiple bluetooth units, like two stereo headsets or a headset an a speaker dock an allow both to be played at the same time.

**sorting**
I have a couple of issues with the sorting, I don't like the fact that shuffle resorts my playlist, this makes it hard if I decide I want to play a specific song after one I've heard, maybe a song from the same album, to find it. I'd like it if instead it actually made a random song choice from the list w/o changing it, maybe selecting two songs, the one which will play and the one which will play next so that shows up correctly, and keeping some amount of songs in memory, so the previous function could still be used. It would be nice to display the rest of the information from the tags, ie instead of only showing contributing artist it could show album artist, so selecting organize by artist will keep all the songs from an artists album together even if some songs feature other artists.

BUG: The RDS capture feature doesn't work well, it only exports the RDS information on screen to the text file, if the information is scrolling some is lost.

Wow, that turned out to be much much longer than I had expected, thanks for bearing with me.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Welcome to the forum PdDo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdDo View Post
**sorting**
I have a couple of issues with the sorting, I don't like the fact that shuffle resorts my playlist, this makes it hard if I decide I want to play a specific song after one I've heard, maybe a song from the same album, to find it. I'd like it if instead it actually made a random song choice from the list w/o changing it, maybe selecting two songs, the one which will play and the one which will play next so that shows up correctly, and keeping some amount of songs in memory, so the previous function could still be used. It would be nice to display the rest of the information from the tags, ie instead of only showing contributing artist it could show album artist, so selecting organize by artist will keep all the songs from an artists album together even if some songs feature other artists.
About that... we were able to find out that it only shuffles the list when you play the songs from the Play All menu. If you go into any other menu and then select a song/artist/album/genre and choose Play All from the menu, it will keep the songs in the order that that section is labeled.

Unfortunately the back button still sends the songs forward

Old 10-31-2007, 04:57 PM

Mattschuette, can you send me a sample JPEG which locks the player up?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:56 PM

Supporting non-embedded album art in MSC mode seems like a good idea to me, however I know we will only please some people as there is no standard. So please let me know what software you folks are using to create your music, so that I can make sure we know what the actual structure is of the album art created.

Thanks

Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
Supporting non-embedded album art in MSC mode seems like a good idea to me, however I know we will only please some people as there is no standard. So please let me know what software you folks are using to create your music, so that I can make sure we know what the actual structure is of the album art created.

Thanks
Digitaldel,

Make it easier on yourselfs and just make the album art work by looking at that specific folder and finding the FOLDERNAME.JPG file and setting that as the album art

Old 10-31-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Bug: Picture Zooming

The picture aligns back to the middle when you zoom in.

So say I zoom in on a picture, then press up to see what is on the top of the picture, if I press the zoom button again, it will send be back to the middle of the picture.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks
To create the music from CDs, say, I'm using CDex or EAC, though neither of those do anything with album art. Then I bring it into Foobar2000 and fix up any tags that freedb didn't get right. Still, no album art. Finally, I download the appropriate album art and save it using... wait for it... Explorer.

I think this happens a lot. It's that everyone has different conventions. Mine is: For single disc albums, cover.jpg in with the audio files; For multi-disc albums, I have subfolders Disc 1, Disc 2 etc for the music, but the cover.jpg lives in the album folder, so just one image a directory up from the music; For some box sets that have covers for each disc, I drop a cover.jpg in each Disc folder and those override the box set cover; For some random other incomplete albums, I have [AlbumName].jpg in with the music and multiple albums living together. Foobar2000 handles all of this beautifully (though after some scripting work). Winamp 5.5 seems to like everything but the cover up one directory. Honestly, I think [AlbumName].jpg is more logical, I just have too much to want to go back and redo it all, though if doing so would make it all just work, I would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
Make it easier on yourselfs and just make the album art work by looking at that specific folder and finding the FOLDERNAME.JPG file and setting that as the album art
Again, there is no standard, just a plethora of personal preferences. A good strategy might just be to use alphabetically the first .jpg in with the music, as most people only have the cover art. ANYTHING you do is going to not work for some people. You could also poll for common naming conventions, and look for those in popularity order since it's not likely that someone would have all of cover.jpg, folder.jpg, album.jpg, [AlbumName].jpg, etc.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 PM

Page

Quote:
Mattschuette, can you send me a sample JPEG which locks the player up?
Attached is a password protected zip file (produced with 7-Zip, if there are any problems) for digitaldel. I PMed him the password. This is because they are copyrighted images.

All, I noticed that the only images that gave me trouble were 150dpi. At least one was edited with Photoshop CS, others with PS 7 and Paint.NET. They were probably saved with jpeg quality 12 in PS and 90 or 95 in Paint.NET. Interestingly, these images have valid thumbnails in the photo browser while other images do not. For all images other than these two (I had like 30 total), they display full screen without any problems. Given this, if anyone has time and can recreate the problem with non-copyrighted images, please let everyone know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PilotPictures.zip (1.42 MB, 8 views)

Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks
I just use Windows Media Player. On another Mp3 player I had, ripping music was all it took, and it somehow included the album art in the MP3 itself. I guess that's what is considered "embedded."

Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Suggestion: Buttons Work Without turning on the Screen

Would it be possible to make the buttons work without first turning on the screen? Can this be a selectable option so that people can have best of both worlds

Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 AM

New Feature Request

Crossfade option (1,2,4,8 seconds available on track skip, or end). I have always enjoyed the easy to use and set crossfade option of winamp and I cant explain why but It makes my listening experience more enjoyable.

Recording radio, detects your radio settings of mono or stereo. Currently, it records in stereo always. No point in recording in stereo when you have it set to mono.

Recording to add option of WMA VOICE to get that high quality low bitrate recording.

Recording radio, to ID TAG recordings. Saved radio station data, genera, and most importantly station name, and recording date and time. Right now the default recording names are confusing if you have recorded some radio shows lik me.

Power button can turn off player with screen off. Right now, if you hold the power button to turn off, while the screen is dimmed, it will not turn it off. it will only turn the screen back on during release. You then need to repeat the process. I have found myself trying to turn off my player at work a good 10 or 15 times like this (in my pocket).

More volume! The last generation of Insignias were INSANE LOUD! I remember not being able to GO NEAR the high volume settings. This generation seems to play big government and regulate your volume "for your own good".

Screen to dim on charge, and syncing. I know what its doing because Im looking at my computer, not my player.

~ Sorry for spouting off a handfull of features, hope some find these to be good possible features!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboSchvetBhals View Post
New Feature Request

Crossfade option (1,2,4,8 seconds available on track skip, or end). I have always enjoyed the easy to use and set crossfade option of winamp and I cant explain why but It makes my listening experience more enjoyable.
Voting Yes, that would be nice, esp for making a DJ feeling music

Quote:
Recording radio, detects your radio settings of mono or stereo. Currently, it records in stereo always. No point in recording in stereo when you have it set to mono.
Voting yes, I can see how this can be useful

Quote:
Recording to add option of WMA VOICE to get that high quality low bitrate recording.
Voting yes, agreed

Quote:
Recording radio, to ID TAG recordings. Saved radio station data, genera, and most importantly station name, and recording date and time. Right now the default recording names are confusing if you have recorded some radio shows lik me.
Voting yes, I noticed that, but never thought about what could possibly be done to resolve that and you said it best

Quote:
Power button can turn off player with screen off. Right now, if you hold the power button to turn off, while the screen is dimmed, it will not turn it off. it will only turn the screen back on during release. You then need to repeat the process. I have found myself trying to turn off my player at work a good 10 or 15 times like this (in my pocket).
Voting yes on this one. This is the exact same thing that I pointed out in this feature request:

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
Would it be possible to make the buttons work without first turning on the screen? Can this be a selectable option so that people can have best of both worlds
Quote:
More volume! The last generation of Insignias were INSANE LOUD! I remember not being able to GO NEAR the high volume settings. This generation seems to play big government and regulate your volume "for your own good".
Voting yes, I thought the volume seemed kinda week. I like loud for my car

Quote:
Screen to dim on charge, and syncing. I know what its doing because Im looking at my computer, not my player.
Voting yes, can we even turn off the screen?

Quote:
~ Sorry for spouting off a handfull of features, hope some find these to be good possible features!
Hey its all good, without suggestions we wouldn't have anything to give to the devs for fixing

Old 11-04-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Suggestion: Arist Name in Now Playing List

Right now when you are on the now playing screen and you press up it gives you the now playing list. The now playing list has the list of all songs that the player has played and will play. That list shows up as only song names.

Can the user have a choice of what will show up in that list? Like Artist, album, etc. Now this will require the list to have smaller font to fit most if not all the information - which is perfectly fine

Old 11-06-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Inconvenience: Slow loading time with SD Card

I just tried using a 4GB Class 4 SDHC memory card. Totaling 2048 music files and like 50 pictures.

Well it took the player about 23 seconds to start up

Can the player play music during the profiling at least? Creative Zen Vision M does that.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Insignia Moderator

Okay, after 6 solid hours of staring at a bunch of letters, I believe I have placed most of your requests into list-form (there are a few bug reports missing, I know. I'll add them later...I swear).

But, I'm having a problem counting votes because people were kind of all over the place in terms of how they voted (which was totally my fault for letting the suggestions become so backed up) and I'm afraid I might miss some votes. So if I could ask everyone to re-vote using the format described in the first post, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, let me know if I missed anything major, which I'm sure I did...

Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the update Tobey!!!

On that note I do have some more suggestions/editions to some of things that you posted

Quote:
31 Holding the menu button opens up a context menu [1 votes]
(Description: Briefly pressing the power button takes you to the main menu. Briefly pressing the menu button takes you to the last menu you were. Holding the menu button brings up a sub-menu, which contains options relevant to the function you are currently
using, i.e.
  1. When playing music: "Scan" "Repeat" "Shuffle", "Set Bookmark", "Go to Bookmark".
  2. When viewing text: "Scroll" "Autoscroll" "Autoscroll Speed", "Go to page:".
  3. When viewing photos: "Scroll" "Slideshow", "Slideshow Speed:" "Repeat", "Thumbnails" "Set as Wallpaper".
  4. When viewing video: "Scan", "Set Bookmark" "Go to Bookmark".
  5. When playing Audiobooks: "Scan", "Set Bookmark", "Go to Bookmark".
    "Scan"/"Scroll" would allow the user to scan through a song/video/text, or though photos using the thumbwheel. Pressing play could quickly disable it, so volume can be operated again.)
Can that be also used for when viewing folders in File explorer. Add the option to delete folders/files from that same context menu. Doing this will fix this issue too: "33 Ability to delete an entire folder, not just a single file [1 vote]"

Maybe adding more things to the context menu too?

I've listed similar functionality here

Here is the thing exactly:
Quote:
Pressing the Rating button would bring up a context menu, like pressing the play/pause button. This would allow to click on the folder and delete the folder or play the whole folder from the File Browsing menu. From there include the ability to do these tasks, while keeping all of the current ones:
  • Play Now Keeping Other Songs – A lot of times I will navigate and find a song that I want to hear, but if I play it it will remove all my other songs in the now playing. If I add to now playing, then I have to navigate and find it. I just want to play that song now, then afterwards continue with the songs that were already in now playing.
  • Search – Lets you search for a specific words on that page, or in sub folders. Searching for songs/artists/albums/genres in the Music Library
  • Volume Control – Comes in useful
  • Changing the Play Mode – Repeat/Shuffle etc.
Quote:
28 Games [1 vote]
Can they use something like Java games support, so that we could play cell phone games?

Quote:
35 Ability to play video at 640x480 via TV-out [1 votes]
How about the ability to play Video's on the player at VGA resolution?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:46 AM

Default my votes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post

7 When returning to a bookmarked file, player should also play all files in the directory of the bookmarked file (I think just having the bookmark also remember the play list and the position in the playlist along with the position in bookmarked file would fix this problem. For instance if you have bookmarked the 3rd file in a 10 file playlist the player should remember not just the position in the file but it should also remember that is playing the 3rd file in a 10 file playlist. This is the one thing that keeps this player from being a great player for audio books.)

1 Remember playlist/currently playing media after sync/charge

11 Option to force player to immediately respond to button presses while idling [1 vote]

15 Option to disable data communications while connected to PC [1 vote]

(Description: This would allow you to use the player while charging via the USB port)

18 Display artist name next to song title in the “Now Playing” quick view list [1 vote]

19 Audio Crossfading

21 Automatically record radio in mono or stereo depending on mode selected in radio settings [1 vote]

24 FM Timer Recording [1 votes]
(Description: Allows users to schedule a time for the player to start recording the FM radio)

25 Alarm clock function [1 votes]

32 Ability to record in MP3 [1 vote]

33 Ability to delete an entire folder, not just a single file [1 vote]

35 Ability to play video at 640x480 via TV-out [1 votes]
BUG - when a bookmark is set for a file on a SD card, the filename is not correct.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:09 PM

Thumb Up My votes

1 Remember playlist/currently playing media after sync/charge
YES - This was my request, voting yes unless the one vote was already me.
2 Ability to display album art from folder.jpg / albumart.jpg images
YES - Requested a similar feature, so could already be counted
1b BUG:{Major, Unconfirmed, Firmware: 1.006 } Player hangs while
trying to display certain .JPG images
I did PM Digitaldel some images that exhibit this problem.
1c <FCR> Add “Play/Add” sub-menu to Folder Browser
YES - My request, only count if you didn't already.
8 Ability to search the database for specific artists, albums or songs
YES
9 Wallpaper
YES
11 Option to force player to immediately respond to button presses while idling
YES
12 Additional EQ profiles
YES - The defaults all sound pretty horrible to me, maybe just fix those.
13 Multiple on-the-go playlists + playlist editor
(Description: Multiple on the go playlists, with the ability to save, name, and edit -- insert to, append to, move within, and remove from -- playlists)
YES
14 Player should check to see if ID3 tags have been modified since last DB refresh
YES
15 Option to disable data communications while connected to PC
(Description: This would allow you to use the player while charging via the USB port)
YES
3b BUG: {Minor, Confirmed, Firmware 1.006} While playing music in shuffle mode, hitting the back |<< button plays the next song on the list. It should go to the previous song played.
2b was an issue I reported. This is exactly the same bug that I was talking about.
18 Display artist name next to song title in the “Now Playing” quick view list
YES
26 FLAC audio support
YES - Just over 32 potential GB, gotta fill it somehow!
27 Audio fade option
(Description: Audio fades in and out when song is stopped/started, paused, or player is powered off/on, like the iAudio U3, or iriver clix)
YES
28 Games
NO - It's a PMP not a PSP.
31 Holding the menu button opens up a context menu [1 votes]
(Description: Briefly pressing the power button takes you to the main menu. Briefly pressing the menu button takes you to the last menu you were. Holding the menu button brings up a sub-menu, which contains options relevant to the function you are currently
using, i.e.
  1. When playing music: "Scan" "Repeat" "Shuffle", "Set Bookmark", "Go to Bookmark".
  2. When viewing text: "Scroll" "Autoscroll" "Autoscroll Speed", "Go to page:".
  3. When viewing photos: "Scroll" "Slideshow", "Slideshow Speed:" "Repeat", "Thumbnails" "Set as Wallpaper".
  4. When viewing video: "Scan", "Set Bookmark" "Go to Bookmark".
  5. When playing Audiobooks: "Scan", "Set Bookmark", "Go to Bookmark".
    "Scan"/"Scroll" would allow the user to scan through a song/video/text, or though photos using the thumbwheel. Pressing play could quickly disable it, so volume can be operated again.)
NO - That seems like you are overloading those buttons with too much functionality.