android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 PM

mattschuette, any reason to why no to games?

I know its not a PSP, but my Moto Razr doesn't have games on it, so when i'm bored at say dentists office I wanna play a game or something

I am one of those people that believes in the All in one devices. I just hate to have to carry my digital camera, Cell phone, MP3 player, game boy or what ever, etc.

All in one goodness saves pocket space

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Default My Votes

1 Remember playlist/currently playing media after sync/charge

Yes, in fact, I understand Creative has already implemented this improvement in the latest firmware for the Zen.

7 When returning to a bookmarked file, player should also play all files in the directory of the bookmarked file

Yes, Rio's firmware did this, oh, how many years ago?

Also, please, any new firmware updates for the Pilot should also be available for the Sport.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
mattschuette, any reason to why no to games?

I know its not a PSP, but my Moto Razr doesn't have games on it, so when i'm bored at say dentists office I wanna play a game or something
I think the developers' time would be better spent working on music-related issues. I have no problem with games being supported, but I would want the option to not include them (so no menu, no memory taken up, no trace period), as I won't be doing anything other than playing music on my Pilot (maybe video, but not likely even that). Is the processor beefy enough to handle a Java VM? Is there ANYTHING on the pilot that looks like it would be a *good* control for ANY game (ok, maybe Tetris)? Your RAZR doesn't have games... so you want your Pilot to be a phone too?? I think the Insignia team should focus on making this the best music/video/Audible player for the money. If you want games, maybe convince some people to get Rockbox on the Pilot... maybe the devs could even provide some technical details about the processor, dac, etc. that would expedite such efforts. However, I wanted the devs to know that I don't feel they should expend any effort on something that the Pilot will do, at best, poorly.

Edit: If you are bored at the dentist's office and have your Pilot handy... you could... listen to music!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
I think the developers' time would be better spent working on music-related issues. I have no problem with games being supported, but I would want the option to not include them (so no menu, no memory taken up, no trace period), as I won't be doing anything other than playing music on my Pilot (maybe video, but not likely even that). Is the processor beefy enough to handle a Java VM? Is there ANYTHING on the pilot that looks like it would be a *good* control for ANY game (ok, maybe Tetris)? Your RAZR doesn't have games... so you want your Pilot to be a phone too?? I think the Insignia team should focus on making this the best music/video/Audible player for the money. If you want games, maybe convince some people to get Rockbox on the Pilot... maybe the devs could even provide some technical details about the processor, dac, etc. that would expedite such efforts. However, I wanted the devs to know that I don't feel they should expend any effort on something that the Pilot will do, at best, poorly.

Edit: If you are bored at the dentist's office and have your Pilot handy... you could... listen to music!
I wanna listen to music while playing a game

I understand where your coming from, just wanted to see why you thought the way you did

Old 11-11-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Maybe I just haven't found the right syntax, but M3U playlists via MSC would be nice. M3U is a very simply format that is just a list of file pointers. If these were relative to the Pilot filesystem, I don't see why that shouldn't work. Seems like lots of people are attracted to this player because of the MSC support, so it would be nice if everything worked via MSC (playlists, album art, etc.). If I'm just missing something, please help me out!
I definately would love m3u support. I have never been able to get WMP to sync playlists well.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:47 AM

How about direct (mp4, H.264) support?

Tony

Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu154 View Post
I definately would love m3u support. I have never been able to get WMP to sync playlists well.
Are you sure it doesn't support M3U playlists? Here is an email I got back from Media Monkey which uses M3U playlists. Ok, let me ask to make sure, "What is MSC mode"?

Tony,

We haven't tested it with Insignia player but from what I read about its Specs <http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail> it should work without problems with MediaMonkey.

Regards,
Pavle

Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM

Well, with media monkey, I couldn't get it to recognize my external memory. Other than that, I can only get it to recognize the file and it didn't show any songs on it. I have tried creating the playlist on the device, draging it on, whatever I can think of. It seems like it should be easy as draging an m3u from your computer onto the Pilot and having it work. That is what I would like.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM

Yeah, MediaMonkey would be about perfect if it recognized external memory in MTP mode. I think the point is that playlist support is different between MTP and MSC modes. J. River Media Center is the only MTP solution that really works well for me (Winamp 5.5 was looking great, but it now has a fatal crash any time the Pilot is connected at home and at work). There is no free version of JRMC, though. I think this is the main reason people want playlist (and album art) support for files transfered via MSC, so they can use whatever management program they like, even Windows Explorer, or one of the many Linux apps.

As far as "What is MSC mode"... MSC is simple USB (it's called Files and Folders on the Pilot). With this, the Pilot internal memory and any card you might have in are both seen as mass storage devices and get a drive letter in Windows. You can make your own folders and copy files just like to a USB thumb drive.

MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol (Media Manager on the Pilot) and is a special Microsoft technology to support their Plays4Sure initiative. It supports things like DRM music that MSC does not support. Windows Media Player 10 and 11 both provide the ability to view the player in Windows Explorer, but it does not get a drive letter. This means to get files onto your player, you need to use a program that is designed to use MTP - most media managers fit the bill these days.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, MediaMonkey would be about perfect if it recognized external memory in MTP mode. I think the point is that playlist support is different between MTP and MSC modes. J. River Media Center is the only MTP solution that really works well for me (Winamp 5.5 was looking great, but it now has a fatal crash any time the Pilot is connected at home and at work). There is no free version of JRMC, though. I think this is the main reason people want playlist (and album art) support for files transfered via MSC, so they can use whatever management program they like, even Windows Explorer, or one of the many Linux apps.

As far as "What is MSC mode"... MSC is simple USB (it's called Files and Folders on the Pilot). With this, the Pilot internal memory and any card you might have in are both seen as mass storage devices and get a drive letter in Windows. You can make your own folders and copy files just like to a USB thumb drive.

MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol (Media Manager on the Pilot) and is a special Microsoft technology to support their Plays4Sure initiative. It supports things like DRM music that MSC does not support. Windows Media Player 10 and 11 both provide the ability to view the player in Windows Explorer, but it does not get a drive letter. This means to get files onto your player, you need to use a program that is designed to use MTP - most media managers fit the bill these days.
I have never heard of JRMC, does it work well for playlists? I have playlists that get updated almost everytime I sync in WMP, and everytime they sync they get messed up. The only way I can get playlists to work how I want is to format the device and sync in MTP with WMP, which is a real pain. Will JRMC update the playlists without causing problems? For me, I don't care if I have to use MTP or MSC, I just need a good way to sync playlists without having to format everytime I want to sync.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Suggestion: Permanently Deleting Songs From the Now Playing

Sometimes I am listening to music and hit a song that I hate, I want to be able to delete it right of way and not have to go through the file browser to do it.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I have never heard of JRMC, does it work well for playlists? I have playlists that get updated almost everytime I sync in WMP, and everytime they sync they get messed up. The only way I can get playlists to work how I want is to format the device and sync in MTP with WMP, which is a real pain. Will JRMC update the playlists without causing problems? For me, I don't care if I have to use MTP or MSC, I just need a good way to sync playlists without having to format everytime I want to sync.
I use both MM and JRiverMC11.
MM3 <beta> is not very stable on some systems and has a large foot print on the OS (beta of course), but 2.5 is very stable and a great music only organizer. Runs on slower PC's very well but Insignia's external memory is not recognized in MTP. It will also not do audible DRM books, my only compromise in regards to DRM files This is why I need MTP. And playlisting 250 hr Book series is a must.

MC is basically WMP10 (or is it now 11) but on steroids and is extremely powerful. More like a mature Windows XP MediaCenter OS with full control and less bloat! It will do proprietary (Read: DRM, Video, Pictures, Flac, etc...) tagging on ALL media. Just add codec, MC will do the rest
The learning curve is a little bit higher, but if you wish to control your media MC is the best organizer for windozs.

The playlist function on MC is second to none, it will export into m3u, do unlimited sub-level playlist groups and the smartlist is an art form. That is if you take the time to learn it.

MC will even rip a CD in secure mode and on decent CD's is as good as EAC for all encodes. I still use EAC, but for re-encodes MC is quite tasty on the ears.

I still have MM on my main 'puter, but I now only spank the monkey on the shop PC (Old P3 maxed @ 512 MB on XP)

This might sound like spam, but I gladly invested $40 for MC12.
The owner Jim, is very touchy about mentioning MM. Dare I say insecure?
The only way you can get any support is on a heavily moderated forum, which works very well for me, YMMV.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 PM

Default M3U is "supported" in MSC mode File Transfers

Quote:
While not the most esoteric technique, here's what works well for me:
  • I use MSC mode exclusively for it's simplicity and speed of data transfer. I have an 8GB Pilot with a Kingston 4GB SDHC memory card.
  • I group multiple mp3 or wma music/audio files in a new folder.
  • I then get or create an "album" cover art image in jpg format (it must be less than 64KB in size), and drop it in the folder.
  • I then use MP3tag to edit or create the file tags and embed the album art. Mp3tag is also set to automatically generate a M3U playlist file using the "album" name.
  • Final step is to simply drag the folder to either the Pilot main memory, or the SD card.
As most know, the Pilot recognizes all tracks and playlists and organizes them in a consolidated file structure. I normally use playlists to select my audio file groups for playback.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:

I agree !!! I would much rather have a device that performs ALL of it's core design functionalities VERY well, than attempt to transform it into a multifunction device which ends up with major shortcommings in many areas.
The short lead and development times for today's electronic "toys" is such that the design teams can barely get the product "right" before its obsolete and the cycle starts all over again!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 AM

OK, I am now CONFUSED - which is about normal. I plan on using the SDHC card only for movies and the internal memory of the Pilot for music.

I currently use MM with my creative zen micro and it works great! So, are you saying that Media Monkey playlists, built for songs in the internal memory of the pilot will not sync with a Pilot? I don't care about syncing music files on an SDHC with a playlist and media monkey.

The manual does give you a way of temporarily connecting it in MSC mode, so would connect it in MTP mode to sync the music files, then turn around and temporarily connect it in MSC mode to sync the Playlists?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Old 11-16-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkrich View Post
While not the most esoteric technique, here's what works well for me:
  • I use MSC mode exclusively for it's simplicity and speed of data transfer. I have an 8GB Pilot with a Kingston 4GB SDHC memory card.
  • I group multiple mp3 or wma music/audio files in a new folder.
  • I then get or create an "album" cover art image in jpg format (it must be less than 64KB in size), and drop it in the folder.
  • I then use MP3tag to edit or create the file tags and embed the album art. Mp3tag is also set to automatically generate a M3U playlist file using the "album" name.
  • Final step is to simply drag the folder to either the Pilot main memory, or the SD card.
3 & 4 - Good that embedded works, but it'd be really nice if it just saw JPGs to save the step of embedding. There is a feature request for that... vote for it if you'd like it too.

4 - On the playlist, what does that m3u look like? I tried (admittedly, briefly) to construct an m3u playlist, but the Pilot really doesn't like anything I've sent it. I've tried messing with the file paths to make them relative, but never found the right combination. If you could post a short sample of what it looks like, that would be great.

I'm not really interested in a playlist per album, that's what the album tags are for. Probably, if I really worked on my genre tags, that would be good enough, but I'd rather just quickly create a playlist. In MTP, playlists creating in Windows Explorer work, but you really can't select multiple files in separate parts of the folder tree... and .pla files aren't easily editable.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:14 PM

vote for FLAC support plus recording in flac or ogg would be nice (Idk if it already records in ogg sorry) and games would be nice but I'd rather have rockbox on it for games they should help rockbox port it (vote for that)

Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borahshadow View Post
games would be nice but I'd rather have rockbox on it for games they should help rockbox port it (vote for that)
Rockbox support would be great. Developers, if you are allowed to and have time to get interested people in the community started on a Rockbox port, I think it would be time well spent. However, I would also like to see the base firmware be as good as possible. Honestly, with a handful of extra features/fixes, I don't think I'd be compelled to use Rockbox, but choice is always a Good Thing.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM

the only thing that would make me want to use rockbox would basically more codecs and games this already has what looks like great OF (I actually don't own this yet but I'm thinking about it)

Old 12-02-2007, 08:18 AM

Default My Votes

I am voting for the following:

Remember playlist/currently playing media after sync/charge
2 Ability to display album art from folder.jpg / albumart.jpg images

I also have this bug:1b BUG:{Major, Unconfirmed, Firmware: 1.006 } Player hangs while trying to display certain .JPG images

I also have this bug: 2b BUG:{Major, Unconfirmed, Firmware: 1.006 }Pressing back multiple times causes player to skip forward in random mode
Description: While in random mode in the “Now Playing” screen, pressing the skip back button will go the beginning of the song, but each subsequent press skips forward through the playlist.

1c <FCR> Add “Play/Add” sub-menu to Folder Browser [1 votes]
CB: When using the media library, pressing the play button on an Artist, Album, Genre, etc., you get a context menu to Play, Add to playlist, Play All, etc. When you are in the Folder Browser, play simply expands the folder (which can also, more intuitively, be done using right/next). This makes it only possible to play/add one file, or all files in the immediate folder. PB:Pressing play on a folder should bring up a context menu like in media library. This would make it possible to organize your music in a deeply nested folder structure and play/add more than just one folder at a time. For instance, if you have "artist/album/nn - song.mp3", it is not currently possible to add all albums from one artist at once using folder browser.

4 Ability to copy files from external to internal memory and vise versa

3 Better Unicode support

6 Video/Photo Folders
(Description: Allow Videos and Photos to be organized by folders)

9 Wallpaper

10 Ability to sort library by song rating ABSOLUTELY!!!

13 Multiple on-the-go playlists + playlist editor [1 vote]
(Description: Multiple on the go playlists, with the ability to save, name, and edit -- insert to, append to, move within, and remove from -- playlists) This is the only thing keeping me from using the player as a TRUE mp3 player, PLEASE FIX THIS PLEASE!!!!

15 Option to disable data communications while connected to PC [1 vote]
(Description: This would allow you to use the player while charging via the USB port)

16 Ability to edit filenames [1 vote]

Have this bug - 3b BUG: {Minor, Confirmed, Firmware 1.006} While playing music in shuffle mode, hitting the back |<< button plays the next song on the list. It should go to the previous song played. [1 vote]

18 Display artist name next to song title in the “Now Playing” quick view list [1 vote]
20 Gapless Offset [1 vote]
(Description: Because the silence between tracks vary greatly depending on how they were encoded, it is difficult to create a one-size-fits-all gapless setting. This feature would allow the user to adjust the duration of silence between tracks to something that best suites their music collection. This option would tell the player, in milliseconds how prematurely to skip tracks.
Options could be: -500ms -250ms -100ms Off (e.g., "-500ms" would tell the player to skip tracks 500ms before the current track has ended, reducing or eliminating any silence))

21 Automatically record radio in mono or stereo depending on mode selected in radio settings [1 vote]

LCD backlight should shut off if the player is connected to a computer for a certain period of time [1 votes]
(Description: The player should obey the backlight timeout setting while connected to a computer.)

25 Alarm clock function [1 votes]

2c <FCR> Player should ignore the word "The" in song titles, album titles, and artist names when sorting alphabetically [1 votes]

31 Holding the menu button opens up a context menu [1 votes]
(Description: Briefly pressing the power button takes you to the main menu. Briefly pressing the menu button takes you to the last menu you were. Holding the menu button brings up a sub-menu, which contains options relevant to the function you are currently
using, i.e.
  1. When playing music: "Scan" "Repeat" "Shuffle", "Set Bookmark", "Go to Bookmark".
  2. When viewing text: "Scroll" "Autoscroll" "Autoscroll Speed", "Go to page:".
  3. When viewing photos: "Scroll" "Slideshow", "Slideshow Speed:" "Repeat", "Thumbnails" "Set as Wallpaper".
  4. When viewing video: "Scan", "Set Bookmark" "Go to Bookmark".
  5. When playing Audiobooks: "Scan", "Set Bookmark", "Go to Bookmark".
    "Scan"/"Scroll" would allow the user to scan through a song/video/text, or though photos using the thumbwheel. Pressing play could quickly disable it, so volume can be operated again.)
33 Ability to delete an entire folder, not just a single file [1 vote]

34 Player should remain in the same directory after deleting a file [1 vote]