android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 AM

Default New features

I think that it should be able to handle reading txt files. There are plenty of programs out there that wrap a txt file (so it doesn't have words cut off or split at the edge of the screen) for other players, like the H340 by Iriver...

This would make the player a lot more enjoyable. And of course, being able to listen to the music while reading, and also remembering your place in the last file read.

If this is already a feature, I missed it

Sandaili

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-02-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaili View Post
I think that it should be able to handle reading txt files. There are plenty of programs out there that wrap a txt file (so it doesn't have words cut off or split at the edge of the screen) for other players, like the H340 by Iriver...

This would make the player a lot more enjoyable. And of course, being able to listen to the music while reading, and also remembering your place in the last file read.

If this is already a feature, I missed it

Sandaili
I did not experience any of those issues. The text word wrapped and looked fine. I was able to listen to music while reading. Exiting and entering that document remembered my place. In fact I opened couple text files and scrolled down in them, exited, went back into them and it held my place!

Good Job Insignia!

Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 PM

It might be an issue with the line terminations, I noticed Notepad doesn't put in proper CR/LFs and hence words do not get split properly.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
It might be an issue with the line terminations, I noticed Notepad doesn't put in proper CR/LFs and hence words do not get split properly.

Thanks
CR/LF isn't always the "proper" line ending. Does this mean that only Windows text files would be supported? Unix of course uses only LF for line termination.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:57 AM

25 Alarm clock function - Yes
13 Multiple on-the-go playlists + playlist editor - Yes

**Saving Now Playing List as a Playlist (So it can be played later).** It could work like this:
When on the screen with the Now Playing List, you could press the rating button. The quick-list thing would come up, and one of the options would be "Save as Playlist". I wouldnt mind being able to name the playlist with an onscreen Alphabet.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Suggestion: Video Support

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but better video support would be great.

More formats: .AVI would be nice

Can it be made that the Pilot would be able to support videos with higher resolution then 320x240?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM

**Features I would like**
(Most important first)
- Replay Gain tag support for all music formats, especially OGG Vorbis
- Swap function of pressing vs holding Menu button: press = "back"; hold = "main menu"
- More video codecs (FLV, AVI, DivX/XviD)

**Votes**
1 : Remember Now Playing - YES
2 : Display album art from folder.jpg / albumart.jpg - YES (first jpg in folder would be very flexible)
8 : Ability to search the database for specific artists, albums or songs - YES
13 : OTG Playlists + Playlist Editor - NO
16 : Edit filenames - NO (DAP is not a file manager)
26 : FLAC support - YES (w/ Replay Gain support)
28 : Games - YES
33 : Delete entire folder - YES
34 : Remain in directory after deleting a file - YES

Last edited by Adam Bomb; 12-06-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Edited features & votes

Old 12-05-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bomb View Post
**Features I would like**
- Replay Gain support for OGG Vorbis
- Swap function of pressing vs holding Menu button: press = "back"; hold = "main menu"

**Votes**
1 : Remember Now Playing - YES
2 : Display album art from folder.jpg / albumart.jpg - YES (also support cover.jpg)
16 : Edit filenames - NO (DAP is not a file manager)
26 : FLAC support - YES (w/ Replay Gain support)
28 : Games - YES
33 : Delete entire folder - YES
34 : Remain in directory after deleting a file - YES
Yes the DAP is not a file manager, but you will have to name the OTG playlists some how when the feature is in

Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
Yes the DAP is not a file manager, but you will have to name the OTG playlists some how when the feature is in
Yeah, that's another feature I'm not too crazy about. I'd rather a DAP focus on playback-related features rather than administrative ones that a mouse and keyboard are much better suited for. Sorry!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's another feature I'm not too crazy about. I'd rather a DAP focus on playback-related features rather than administrative ones that a mouse and keyboard are much better suited for. Sorry!
I agree, but I found myself stranded and needing those features. Don't always have a computer on hand, etc.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 PM

**Feature I would like**
- Programmable functions for the rating buttons

Edit: I originally thought of this simply because it is unlikely that I will use the rating buttons for their intended purpose; I only keep 5-star music on my player to begin with. But then I started thinking about how I'd use the buttons otherwise, and I couldn't think of anything, so unless someone can suggest some useful functions to map to those buttons, I will retract the feature request.

Last edited by Adam Bomb; 12-06-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Waffling

Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
**Feature I would like**
- Programmable functions for the rating buttons

Edit: I originally thought of this simply because it is unlikely that I will use the rating buttons for their intended purpose; I only keep 5-star music on my player to begin with. But then I started thinking about how I'd use the buttons otherwise, and I couldn't think of anything, so unless someone can suggest some useful functions to map to those buttons, I will retract the feature request.
Thats a great idea. I don't see a reason for a dedicated rating buttons. Please make those 3 buttons (left, right, down) be programmed to absolutely anything, and let it be up to the user to be able to program them. I would leave them as ratings by default though

Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thats a great idea. I don't see a reason for a dedicated rating buttons. Please make those 3 buttons (left, right, down) be programmed to absolutely anything, and let it be up to the user to be able to program them. I would leave them as ratings by default though
Ratings by default, absolutely. Programming them to anything the user wants... the interface for that would be atrocious (no disrespect to the developers, digitaldel). Most users, regardless of what they may think, really don't want buttons to be freely reprogrammable, just leads to confusion and then customer support essentially has no idea how a given player works.

About the best alternate use I can think of is... in the Playlist screen, left and right on the rocker should move items around in the playlist. It currently does nothing, so you wouldn't be losing or masking any functionality. Only problem I can see is that there is no obvious (or correct) mapping of left and right to up and down; I would probably assume left == up, but that's just me. Pressing the rocker down while in the Playlist would be great for bringing up a new context menu with things like Remove, Move to Top, Move to Bottom, Move to Next, etc. It could also be how the playlist is saved if that is in for the next firmware.

In File Browser, it also doesn't seem to be utilized, I had suggested that left and right on the wheel be used for folder navigation (as they are now) and the Play button bring up a folder context menu, but I suppose depressing the rocker wouldn't be much different. Can't think of a contextually appropriate action for rocker left and right, though.

I'm sure it could be useful in video (zooming?) and radio (fast scroll through RDS?) but I have never actually used either of those features.

Edit: Something else to keep in mind, that is pretty easy to bump and offers almost no resistance. You wouldn't want anything permanent or important tied to the rocker button, especially in the Now Playing screen.

Last edited by mattschuette; 12-07-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: wording

Old 12-07-2007, 03:20 PM

^^ True about confusing the user, maybe there should be an easter egg, if you say have a special file in your root, all of the advanced features become enabled, like remapping of the keys

Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
^^ True about confusing the user, maybe there should be an easter egg, if you say have a special file in your root, all of the advanced features become enabled, like remapping of the keys
Development effort toward undiscoverable or secret functionality is a waste of time. If you want random, infinitely customizable features (and I understand where you are coming from, really), you should focus on Rockbox. Drum up support, find some programmers that might contribute, maybe even buy one a Pilot! The Insignia firmware needs to be as rock solid as possible, you won't earn any new user base if there are major usability flaws (not that any are major, but every new features ups the possibility), but you have a wicked customizable interface. The Pilot out of the box should just be a great PMP (no, I really don't work for them!) Seriously, the development and testing of this is pretty difficult stuff, and everyone bitches about what you get wrong. For the first rev. firmware of a new product line, the Pilot works great!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
Development effort toward undiscoverable or secret functionality is a waste of time. If you want random, infinitely customizable features (and I understand where you are coming from, really), you should focus on Rockbox. Drum up support, find some programmers that might contribute, maybe even buy one a Pilot! The Insignia firmware needs to be as rock solid as possible, you won't earn any new user base if there are major usability flaws (not that any are major, but every new features ups the possibility), but you have a wicked customizable interface. The Pilot out of the box should just be a great PMP (no, I really don't work for them!) Seriously, the development and testing of this is pretty difficult stuff, and everyone bitches about what you get wrong. For the first rev. firmware of a new product line, the Pilot works great!
Agreed! Support Rockbox!

And yes creating new features only leaves room for more bugs

Old 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM

** Feature I would like **
- Visualizations

Something like projectM would be nice, but eh, that requires a 3D accelerator.

Last edited by Adam Bomb; 12-11-2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: DAPs don't have video cards :(

Old 12-12-2007, 12:31 AM

Default FLAC and AVI, Please

FLAC support, Please!

AVI Video would be nice as well

Old 12-12-2007, 03:02 AM

Default Addition to my votes

Here is what I wrote in response to a "how should it work" question by digitadel (I always spell that wrong LOL)...when I asked about playlist support.

"Well....I am assuming that you know how other players do it or have access to a player that does? I have never had a player that does - that's why i bought this... I assumed it did. Because the navigation is really good on it....but I didn't think to try it out in the store for playlist. I just saw playlist and assumed.

I guess - the thing about making new features and esp. this feature in particular is that the player already has so many buttons that do NOTHING when pressed in certain menus.

I'll just go through and pretend I'm going to try to make one....

I turn on the player. I guess, I'll turn this post into a "what I thought I should be able to do" thread.

One thing - I think the "Play All" is kinda useless as the first area when you go to the Music Library. But that's just me....maybe switch that with the position of the Playlist tab.

Before I get to the playlist - here's an issue. When I press up and see the list of files that are Now Playing, I should

1. Be able to save the Now Playing to a Playlist file.
2. Be able to remove songs from the Now Playing, so that I could theoretically listen to all songs, and whittle out the ones I don't like.
3. The STAR feature - could be implemented in creating playlists, too, if one wanted to make a playlist of only 5 star music, etc. Leave out the ones, whatever. Play all music with 3 and above, something like that with choices.
4. While looking at the now playing list - we should be able to have a context menu that lets us select a song, then delete it, rate it, and move to another playlist. The delete will ask "delete from player, or delete from playlist" in this mode. That way someone doesn't have to go into File mode to delete a file. Yes it will be annoying to have to choose. Maybe someone else has a better way of doing it. I like it right there to ask both.; other items in the context menu would be load a playlist, reorder list (if selected the user can now move up and down the list, grab (this highlights the file) and move it up or down with scroll wheel, and click to release when the file is in the position needed.

All you would have to do is remap the context button when in the now playing playlist, so after pressing UP from now playing to see what is in the list, instead of the context button taking you back to the "now playing" screen....it would bring up a context menu. OR you could remap the up button for that. It doesn't matter. We don't need two of the buttons to do the same thing. For that matter, the down button is also free (just brings you back to the now playing screen too) but I would rather have the context button be the button that does it since it's sturdier and less stress on the wheel.

5. The other thing is that we need to also have in the context menu a search. This would bring up 0-9 and A-Z that we could use the scroll wheel to select and that would drop us down in the list to what we selected. Useful for folders but also playlists.

6. In the same context menu - there should be a "go to folder" option (handy for those of us who have folders) and a Go to Media Library (which would bring it to where it is in the Media Library).

Just my wishes.

Sandaili"

Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 PM

AAC audio, and the related video support that uses AAC audio, would be fantastic. I've had to re-rip several favorite CDs as I've been using Foobar with Nero's AAC encoder for the last 6 months or so. Also, anything from iTunes without DRM will still be AAC; for this I've setup a temp eMusic account so I can get the stuff that I already paid for (not much, but still annoying) in MP3. AAC is a good format and quite efficient, and since I don't want to bother with WMA (Linux user for the most part) and few car stereos support OGG in any meaningful way.

And another vote for playlist creation/saving on device.