android
Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try plugging the player into another PC and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, I guess you should contact Creative and report the problem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Thumb Down Screen Blank

I have had my zen for about 10 months now. First of all, a line appeared horizontally across the screen, followed by another later on. Finally, about 2 months ago, the screen went completely black when you turned it on. I can still listen to music on it, so I'm assuming it is only the screen that is broken. Can anyone tell me what has happened and how I can fix it?
Thanks

Old 11-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello, Aquista. Isn't it still under warranty? If so, why not contacting Creative instead of trying to fix it yourself?

Old 11-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned

The motherboard AND the screen are shot. Buy another one.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:29 PM

Default My Zen's screen is becoming dimmer?

i've owned my v plus for around 6 months now, and it was working perfectly (with the occasional battery freeze, etc.) up until a couple of days ago. recently, its screen has become dimmer and dimmer... even if it's fully charged. instead of the black background i had.. it started showing up as a blueish black (with distorted lines, weird contrast, etc.), and now all of a sudden it's so dark i can barely make out what my background looks like. the songs are playing fine, however. what could be the reason for this, and can it be fixed?

Old 11-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It seems that either the screen is defective or its connector to the PCB has become lose with time. I guess you should contact Creative.

You could try opening the player instead, but the warranty would be voided, and it wouldn't do any good if the screen is actually defective.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:18 PM

Wink

thanks a ton for your help =)
i really hope it gets fixed somehow..

Old 12-15-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Zen V Plus No Screen

I brought a Zen V and right after the warranty ran out my screen went blank. It plays fine but the screen is BLACK. I currently have it set on Shuffle. Could someone with a working screen walk me through changing it to take off the shuffle mode with their screen????

Thanks BUM

Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your player is supposed to be in the Now Playing screen. So, press and hold the back button. It will bring the context menu up. Joystick down 6 times. Push the joystick. It will enter the play mode menu. Hold the joystick in the up position. The menu bar should highlight the "Normal" option in 2 - 3 seconds. Push the joystick again.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:38 PM

Angry

Thanks. I did what you suggested and it didn't take it out of shuffle mode. If anyone purchases any Zen please be really careful with it. Seems that the screens are very delicate. You should invest in some type of screen protector. This is the second MP3 player that I've had the screen go out on me without dropping it or doing anything that should have hurt the screen. I have another one that I've had a while and that one I've put through hell and the screen and the whole player still works like the day I got it. Some I guess you have to handle with care. I like my Zen but the screen problem makes me wish I hadn't brought it. When I buy something that doesn't out last the warrenty by much it makes me feel as though I gave away my money. That's the feeling I'm having with this Zen 4 GIG.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Strange. Have you tried that with music playing? This way you're sure the player is in the Now Playing screen. I guess the playback mode options are more or less the same across the several firmware versions, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:03 AM

Yes. I had the music playing when I tried it. I did it a few times and still in Shuffle Mode.... Thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Tried again... I listed step-by-step below:
  1. Turn the Zen V Plus on;
  2. Press the "Play/pause" button to ensure the player's on the "Now Playing" screen;
  3. Press and hold the "Back" button for 1 - 2 seconds, and then release. When you release the button, the menu will only stay on the screen for around 5 seconds, so you'll have to do the next steps a bit faster;
  4. Joystick down 6 times. Push (or select);
  5. Joystick up 3 times. Push (or select);
This should set the player to "Normal" play mode.

Notice that the last option selected will remain the highlighted option when you go back to the context menu. So, if it doesn't work the first time, try turning the player off and on again to reset the highlighted options.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 AM

Thanks. Got It.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 AM

Oh yeah. That did the trick. Now I don't have to buy a new one. This one plays and sounds great just no screen. I can live with this.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do you have your MP3 files correctly tagged? If so, and you like listening to whole albums, I may set up a step-by-step "tutorial" on putting the "Album of the day" feature on the main menu. May be worth trying.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 PM

Default Black Screen Of Death

I received a ZEN V+ for Christmas and it worked great. Until the warenty ran out. We did not purchice the extended warentee figuring that it was just a marketing scheme. A few days after the warentee ran out I noticed that there was a small black vertical line on the screen, I ignored this figuring it was just a small glitch. A week later the whole screen went blank. I only dropped it a few inches, and when I did It was onto either a soft serfice or into my coat pocket. Because the warentee is already over and I dont want to spend more money then absolutly nessacary, Does anyone know of a guide for dissasembly and replacement for a screen with the specs below.
OLED (organic light emitting diode)
1.5" diagonally
128x128 pixels
264k colors

Old 01-19-2008, 12:08 AM

I would not advise you do that.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Yes, but...

I know that aattempting this would be unavaisable, yet I beleive that I may have the right peopler to help me. My brother went to a technological school, and has built and rebuilt computers. He may be able to help me rebuild this.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure there's a post here describing how to disassemble the V. Even without such a guide, it's not likely to be too difficult as long as you are patient. What will truly be the hard part is figuring out how to acquire a new screen.

Edit: Okay, didn't find any specific instructions here, but this YouTube video might help.