android
Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 PM

I think I saw a movie at YouTube where a guy showed how he took apart his Zen V. I wish I could point right at it, but maybe you can search for it there.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-22-2008, 06:13 PM

I found the movie about doing this. The thing is, there are many steps one can take before taking the thing apart. Like return it to the place of purchase. Do a reset through the reset hole. And I saw a recovery tool that runs from the Creative site. That all said, here is the movie.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 AM

Unhappy zen v plus ...screen went black!!

I have a zen v plus. screen just went black. is it toast or is there a way I can fix it. It was neither exposed to heat nor got wet. I really dont want to have to buy a new mp3 player!!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:21 PM

We need more details! What were you doing when it went black? Try letting the battery die, and then charging it.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 AM

Thank you for your reply.. the screen just started to go dim then quit all together. I will try to let the battery die then charge it. I can hear the songs play, but cant see anything, even when I hook it to computer...I just see the keys light up (when its on the play key and such lights up blue.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 AM

its most probably screwed then.iv read about other people's screen probs on this site..
you'll prob have to send it in for repairs

Old 03-26-2008, 06:49 AM

ya. I let the battery die then left it hooked to computer forthe day to charge...nothing... I think it is toast. Thanks anyway for your help

Old 04-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Default Screen too dark to see anything!?

So about a week ago, my Zen V Plus froze. The battery died, i re-charged it, and when i turned it on, the screen was slightly darker. Ever since then, every day it was getting a little bit darker, to the point where it became so dark I cannot even see anything.

I tried the suggested instructions on the Zen website, (reset the player) and all it did was delete all my files and not fix the problem. Anyone else experience something similar? Anyway to fix this or should I just give up and move on to a new MP3 player?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like the OLED display maybe out. Are you sure the battery is still good? Does it charge to full and hold a charge? The reason I am asking is because OLED displays brightness level depends on the amount of current being applied to it; the weaker the current (bad battery), the dimmer the light in the display.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 AM

No the battery seems to be charging/working just fine. I think maybe the screen got burned out or something when it froze, but is there a way to fix it (like through dis-assembling) or should I just move on? Thanks a lot for your help and advice.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 AM

The screen dying is a common problem, I've read quite a few posts about it. It happened to my ZV+ 4gb, so sad, I really liked it D: However, I didn't want to deal with sending it in and getting it fixed or anything, and I abused it so much (not the cause though, I swear ) so warranty was beyond hope. I currently can't find it.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolek View Post
No the battery seems to be charging/working just fine. I think maybe the screen got burned out or something when it froze, but is there a way to fix it (like through dis-assembling) or should I just move on? Thanks a lot for your help and advice.
Oh, you mean actually froze, like being left out in cold temperature . OLED displays are usually pretty durable about cold weather (more so than LCD's), but that is when they are operating. I'm not too sure how it effects the organic material when froze without being operated. The battery is what you would usually have to worry about in those conditions, but you said the battery is fine now. My guess..... OLED displays are really susceptible to damage from water. Perhaps due to the temperature and moisture in the air (before freezing or during thawing), the organic material was damaged.

If it is under warranty, try contacting Creative. If not, then you can try replacing the screen yourself. Try looking for a replacement screen for sale or a bad Zen V but with a good screen that you can take out and put in yours. This video may help. Be careful with the screen, it may be glued in, but you should be able to get it removed with patients and light pressure. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 PM

Sorry I didnt mean frozen as in temperature wise, I mean it was working fine and playing music and just froze on that screen until the battery died and ever since i recharged it, it was getting darker upto the point it is now. But ya I will try replace the screen that looks like the best option at this point.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, sorry. I was just trying to make sure I got it all covered.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 PM

i have this same problem and i dont know wat to do can someone help me plzzzz.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

trying the option given by Almoxil above might be a good place to start....

Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try doing a hard reset by using a paper clip (or something simular) in the small reset hole below the power switch. You can also follow the directions from this thread on how to boot into recovery mode and do a disk cleanup.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 AM

Default Zen V 1GB Screen Went Black =(

First I had the horizontal white line thing right above my picture bg's when I had my player on.. next day those lines got brighter.

Yesterday the screen still showed and was working fine.. then I charged it on my laptop and now today it went near black. A few minutes later, I couldn't see the screen at all..

If you guys know where I could get a replacement from (and how to replace it), that'd be great. I really don't feel like getting a new one.. I really liked this one.

Thanks ^_^

Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try looking on EBay for a replacement screen for sale or a bad "As Is" Zen V with a good screen that you can take out and put in yours. Watching this video may help you. The screen may be glued in, so be careful. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm curious: When an OLED has reached the end of its life, does it go slowly and gracefully? Or does it just up and give up the ghost?