android
Old 10-10-2007, 06:51 PM
ABI Founder

Default abi>> Sansa Clip Review

Got it posted... thoughts, questions, concerns?

Enjoy!

SanDisk Sansa Clip Review

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Great review Enzo!

A couple of questions though. You mention that you prefer the form factor of the Clip over the Stone Plus, but from the pictures you posted they look almost identical in size. What gives the Clip an advantage here?

Did you get a chance to see how accurate the 15 hours of play time was?

It was interesting to compare your photo of the Clip next to a quarter, to the image Sandisk supplied (which is obviously a CG photo). In the Sandisk photo, the quarter looks much bigger compared to the Clip, making the clip look smaller than it really is. Thanks for busting that myth.

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/Image/...ipGolfBall.jpg
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...ip-quarter.JPG

Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 PM
ABI Founder

There are a few things i feel make the Clip a better choice:
  • The Clip has a clip. As rediculous as that may sound, it comes in very handy and can be removed if you don't need it.
  • The Clip sounds better. I always thought that Creative players have sounded above average, but the Stone/Stone Plus fell short. The Sansa Express even sounds better than the Stone.
  • The interface on the stone is odd. Its not the Zen interface that makes Creative great. The Clip's is not perfect but you can wrap your head around it faster.
  • The Stone has an odd file folder music browsing method.
Two other things to consider
  • The Stone is MSC the Clip is MTP/MSC OS selectable
  • The Clip works with music stores for subscription services, the stone does not
If you didnt get a chance to check it out, here is my Stone Plus review. Thre is a video of the interface there.

Oh and im finding that batter time is falling an hour or two or three under the 15, depending on volume and bit rate.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 PM

Awesome, thanks for the review. I like what I see; overall it looks like a great player for its purpose. Hopefully I'll see them at a local store soon, but part of my Sony loyalty is starting to kick in lol .

Old 10-13-2007, 12:47 AM

Default AudioBook/Long File questions

Great review and couple of questions Enzo.

My main use for the device will be for audiobooks and/or recorded radio that average 5 hours in length. I had originally bought the Sansa Express but it fell short in two major areas:

1. Fast forward did not get progressively faster to fast forward long MP3 to my liking it took about 5 or 6 minutes to fast forward an entire book/radio show. This was not acceptable as fingers cramp etc. My other MP3 players Zen Stone Plus (which I bought since the Express fell short) and that fruit based companies device take anywhere from 10 seconds for the fruity device to 1.5 minutes to fast forward through a file which was fine.

2. The time was limited to displaying 00:00 (mm:ss) so the hours were not displayed making it hard to tell where in the file I was. I would have even been okay with displaying 000:00 (mmm:ss).

So the main question I have, because I like the look of the new Sansa Clip that I have seen

1. How long does it take to fast forward a 5 hour file (I can provide a file if you need one to test)

2. When listening to a 5 hour file, can you see the hours or at least a three digit minute counter in order to keep track of the time.

Every thing else about the Express was great but these were two pretty big deal breakers the way I use my MP3 players.

Thanks in advance for any additional information.

SIBION

Old 10-13-2007, 06:23 PM
ABI Founder

It does get progressively faster, but i still think it may take some time to get though a 5 hour file.

But i think you are approaching your problem the wrong way. A 5 hour file is combersome on any mp3 player even with progressive scanning. What you should be doing is breaking down that 5 hour file into something more manageable. Even 5 one hour segments would be a major improvement.

i would go that rout since many players wont handle files that long too well.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
It does get progressively faster, but i still think it may take some time to get though a 5 hour file.

But i think you are approaching your problem the wrong way. A 5 hour file is combersome on any mp3 player even with progressive scanning. What you should be doing is breaking down that 5 hour file into something more manageable. Even 5 one hour segments would be a major improvement.

i would go that rout since many players wont handle files that long too well.
Enzo,

I respectfully disagree on a number of points.

1. My iPod...the unspoken on this site, can get through a 5 hour MP3 in under 30 seconds with the touch wheel, my BlackBerry Pearl can get through it in about the same amount of time with the "pearl" and my Zen Stone Plus can get through it in about 1.5 minutes.

2. Breaking apart the file requires more files to manage and get mixed up and a unclean break. Audible files can't be broken up that I know of without converting which is a pain and a waste of time if you get a player worth its money to perform basic functions.

3. I have yet to find a player that does not work with the files, some are better then others with fast forwarding and display but even the Express "worked" the UI and fast forward just made it annoying to continue to use.

Now that said, and of course with all of my respect to your opinion, there was only one other question that you didn't answer that I was hoping to get answered which was regarding the UI displaying hh:mm:ss for audiobooks/long mp3 files. Does it display mmm:ss or hh:mm:ss?

Thanks again in advance and for your feedback. I think it is healthy conversation for those that skim the forum for useful information and different points of view.

SIBION

Old 10-16-2007, 01:51 AM

anyone know what soc is in this player??

can someone compare clip sound to meizu m6?? or samsung yp-z5

Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM
ABI Founder

sorry for the wrong answer sibion, i was trying to help the best i could without having the clip in front of me. When i did get a chance to forward though a 5 hour track it took around 30 seconds. time is displayed like this H:MM.SS.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
sorry for the wrong answer sibion, i was trying to help the best i could without having the clip in front of me. When i did get a chance to forward though a 5 hour track it took around 30 seconds. time is displayed like this H:MM.SS.
No worries Enzo, thanks for testing, I am definitely getting one of these when it comes out. BTW, best buy now has the 2GB version listed and noted as leaves warehouse in 1 business day.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM

I Love the colors on the clip am going to get the pink one and also the view :-D~!!!

Am dreaming in pink :-D

Old 10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brestinder View Post
anyone know what soc is in this player??

can someone compare clip sound to meizu m6?? or samsung yp-z5
I dont know but i will crack it open soon. The Z5 and M6 sound really good, by comparison, (going by memory) the Clip is comparable or better.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:17 PM

The 1gb version is in stock and available at buy.com

The 2gb version is available at bestbuy.com as sibion mentioned, and also in some of their east coast stores. I guess another day or two until it reaches stores in the west coast, and other web sites.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:54 AM

i was have samsung yp-z5, iriver ifp-899 and now i have meizu m6, the size of clip is very very very atractive ... for me two cons , max 2gb and no ogg and flac ;/ i'm going to cry ;p i hope for fast availability in poland. My cx400 are waiting for something new...

Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishturkish View Post
The 1gb version is in stock and available at buy.com

The 2gb version is available at bestbuy.com as sibion mentioned, and also in some of their east coast stores. I guess another day or two until it reaches stores in the west coast, and other web sites.
The Black 2GB has made it to the west coast originally only in California, now it has migrated north to the Portland area. Slowly but surely filling the country. The next will be Seattle, most likely, then smaller markets probably I thought I would update those that care or are looking for it. The pink and red....quite frankly not my cup of tea so I haven't been watching for them.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:22 PM

I was able to get one today in Best Buy in Portland.

A couple of quick notes:

1. This thing is cute as a button. Everything about it is small, including the USB cable (about 6" long) and mini installation CD. Mine is in metallic red (candy apple?)

2. The gui is quite intuitive. I was able to navigate it without issue and without reading the manual, even though I never handled a Sansa product before.

3. FM reception was pretty weak, and recording seemed to add noise artifacts. I'll need to revisit this.

4. The built in mic is good. Ironically, I was able to get a better FM recording by using the mic and my car radio...

Old 10-19-2007, 01:28 AM

Which Best Buy in Portland did you get it at? I'm going to try tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 AM

I've got another question. You didn't mention a resume option in you review. As it happens i am searching a small player for listening to audiobooks during my workout and am interested in the Sansa Clip. A resume option is essential for me. So is the Sansa Clip able to resume?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:13 AM
ABI Founder

It will resume were you left off if you turn it off in the middle of playing something.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 PM

No sign at my Portland Best Buy. I hate going into that store. I don't understand how people can get paid for being rude.

Tags
clip, review, sandisk, sansa, sansa clip