android
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default What are your impressions of the T10?

The Samsung T10 is now available for purchase, so those of you who have got their hands on one already, tell us what you think of it. What do you like about it? Is there anything you wish Samsung had done better?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 PM

i think it's amazing... haven't tried out bluetooth with it, but I think the LCD looks really bright, and it's really clear (even on it's default half brightness). However, going back and forth between the P2 and the T10 really confuses me sometimes: I sometimes try to hit the touch screen of the device to navigate, and often forget about the touch sensitive buttons it has.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 PM

Well, my feelings are mixed. I have an T9B (8gb) so my closest reference is that device. My thoughts are:

- Bluetooth 2.0 vs Bluetooth 1.2 doesn't really matter. There really isn't any real significant difference between the two for music streams composed of wma & mp3s of 128 kbs or 256 kbs. I tried both with a Motorola S9 (BT 2.0), Freepulse (BT 2.0 EDR), Sony DR BT-50 (BT 2.0 ), Motorola HT820 (BT 1.2), Sony SRS BTM30 (BT 2.0), and Insignia NS BT-400 (BT 2.0) and there's no real discernable differnce between the T9 and T10 in BT audio stream quality. The T9 has a personal advantage since the user eq has more discrete settings than the T10. All of these headphones/speakers have inherently different sound charateristics and some of them need adjustments for all of them to reproduce the same sound. The T10s courser settings do not allow for the same level of fine tuning.

- Wired listening seems a little better on the T10. I tried the Shure E3Cs and Sony MDR EX-90s and liked the output more so on the T10. Very subjective so your mileage may vary.

- The 4gb in the T10 is a big negative. Samsung needs to look at the rest of the market before offering another 4gb flash device. Sandisk, Creative, & iriver have crossed the 16gb mark. I can use it for my evening walk but I would not take it on trips or when I'm going to be away from home long because of it's limited capacity. On the other hand. I just hit the 500 folder limit under the music directory on the T9B. At least the T10s don't appear to have that silly limit. Of course, is doesn't matter because is unlikely that you'll see that on a 4gb player.

- I didn't fancy the size and form factor of the T10 until I had it in my hands. At that point, I actually liked it. I felt the same about the 3g nanos. I still prefer the size of the T9 but the T10 work too.

- The T10's DSNE 2.0 actually works better than the T9 version. On the other hand, it was something I didn't use before and I don't think I'll use it now.

- Headphone jack on the bottom of the device...I don't get it with the T10 or the nano. What's the advantage?

- Video. Impressive improvement over the T9 but since I didn't use video on the T9, I suspect it will be the same for the T10. Demo videos work just as well as the Nano video capabilities.

- Games...missing on the T10. It's not something I'll miss so I'll call this a wash.

- The T10 GUI is nice but I use the pendant settings which are closest to the T9.

- Controls on the T10 have its good and bad points just like on the Z5. It seems too sensitive at times.

- Samsung included a plastic film overlay for the entire front face of the player which I think was a very nice touch.

- It uses the K3/T9 sync cable so your accesories are probably safe for the T10.

I'd probably be more excited about this device if it had 8 or 16 gb. I hope I can schedule a business trip to the UK to pick up the 8gb unit once it breaks cover there. I doubt the states will ever see the 8gb unit. This 4gb unit may become my rugged, abuse unit for working on the car or it may become ebay bait. I don't know yet. Otherwise, a fine mp3 player.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 PM

Default well

I like it, I'm impressed with the quality of the screen for video, text and pictures, something my T7 does (minus video) but was pretty much useless for them due to the screen quality and size, though I have the first run with the round knob, before they put the square ones.
I specifically waited for this player because it had the most of the features I was looking for, bluetooth and voice recording were the decision makers for me. Insigna has a few BT models, however they don't do voice.
I would like the T10 to have:
A memory slot
Better playlist funtions (a la' rio riot),
"shuffle" is worthless, I have roughly 600 songs on it and was in the main music folder, out of 16 songs 6 were repeats of the of the first 8 played, the other two new ones were because I kept hitting next track.
Wall charger
Line in jack (like on the T7)
Button for volume, (my T7, I press buttons without having to remove it from my pocket)
AM radio (this isn't a real expectation, no player has it, but since i'm dreaming...)
other menu options, i like words not pictures
I like on the T10:
voice recording, endcoded to mp3,
fm & recording
BT
File transfer ability
WMA/MP3
The size (or lack there of)
Some things can be fixed by firmware (hint hint samsung) others by a product released (3rd party or otherwise), others obviously can't so if they matter to you consider the possible solution too.....
com som me da samsung (sorry it has an accent)

Old 10-14-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Gapless playback?

For those of you who bought the T10 already: Does it support gapless playback? (Listen to consecutive tracks from a CD that has no pauses between songs, the classic examples in rock being "The Dark Side of the Moon" and the last few tracks of The Beatles's "Abbey Road". Is there a noticeable pause while listening from the T10? Is there a setting option for "gapless"?)

I'm glad that the reviews are good as far as sound quality, which is my main priority. When an 8GB model comes out, I'll be first in line to buy it... So far I don't see enough reason to upgrade from my 4GB Z5.

pgh1969pa: "Headphone jack on the bottom of the device...I don't get it with the T10 or the nano. What's the advantage?"

My hypothesis: No advantage. It's probably a design limitation. If the plug was on top, it would compete for space with the screen components and circuitry. The price you pay for such a tiny device!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk View Post
For those of you who bought the T10 already: Does it support gapless playback? (Listen to consecutive tracks from a CD that has no pauses between songs, the classic examples in rock being "The Dark Side of the Moon" and the last few tracks of The Beatles's "Abbey Road". Is there a noticeable pause while listening from the T10? Is there a setting option for "gapless"?)

I'm glad that the reviews are good as far as sound quality, which is my main priority. When an 8GB model comes out, I'll be first in line to buy it... So far I don't see enough reason to upgrade from my 4GB Z5.

pgh1969pa: "Headphone jack on the bottom of the device...I don't get it with the T10 or the nano. What's the advantage?"

My hypothesis: No advantage. It's probably a design limitation. If the plug was on top, it would compete for space with the screen components and circuitry. The price you pay for such a tiny device!
No gapless...I tried in on a live CD album with blended tracks. As long as it plays the tracks, I can do without gapless playback.

The LCD most likely does impinge on placing the the headphone jack at top. But this unit could be made the same size by simply moving the LCD further away from the top edge similar to the T9. I think they wanted to have a certain look, so function was sacrificed to achieve it.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Headphone jack on the bottom of the device...I don't get it with the T10 or the nano. What's the advantage?
With small devices like the T10 and the Nano, the bottom headphone jack is optimized for people who use the lanyard attatchment. When used as a necklace or a carabiner for your belt loop, the screen won't be upside down when you look down at your player. Also, there is a SLIGHT ergonomic advantage when taking these players in and out of your pocket, i.e. you don't need to rotate them 90 degrees in your hand when taking them in and out.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
No gapless...I tried in on a live CD album with blended tracks. As long as it plays the tracks, I can do without gapless playback.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! That's too bad, though... Hopefully a firmware upgrade will fix this flaw, like it did on the Z5.

(As for the phone jack, I don't care that much about its location. Slydini has good points about the slight advantages of the bottom location.)

Last edited by jjk; 10-16-2007 at 08:24 AM. Reason: formatting

Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Hi... I bought a YP-T10 about a week ago. I generally like it, but am quite frustrated by the software Samsung provides with the player. In my opinion, it's really bad. I'm trying to find ways around it.

After spending some time with the player and the software, I wanted to give Samsung some feedback, in case they listen to their customers . I thought I'd share my comments with you. Here is what I sent:

=================================

My suggestions are regarding the YP-T10JAB, which isn't listed in the "model" field of this form.

Firmware suggestions:
--- I want it to appear like a usb flash drive, with a drive letter in windows explorer. This is badly needed.
--- please add m3u playlist support!! I use winamp, all my existing playlists are m3u. I don't want to have to recreate them all. Playlist handling in your included software is quite bad.
--- Add the ability to play sequentially through folders uploaded to the player. In other words, if I upload a dozen folders using windows explorer, I can then pick the first file in the first folder, and it will play through all files in alphabetical folder order, followed by alpha file order within each folder. It should handle subfolders. This is how most people organize their hard drives, and it would often negate the need for playlists. Another way to think of it is the music folder/file tree would be treated like a playlist, with ordering set first by folder name and then by file name.
---add the ability to delete files without connecting to my PC. In other words, you can delete files using only the menus in the player. If I have a nearly full player, and suddenly need to record a bunch of voice, I have no way to free up space. Let me delete music/video/recordings/txt/datacasts from the player.

Software Suggestions:
The software that is included with this player is the worst part of the product. The Samsung media studio is pretty bad. Please don't force me to use it. Here is what users want... flexibility! I cannot stress this enough. Don't lock me into your software, especially when it is lackluster at best.

There are many ways to manage media files, many existing tools out there, so let me manage them with the tools I prefer. The only proprietary thing I see a need for is the video converter... have that available as a separate utility, which saves the resulting files to disk (so I don't have to convert them each time, it's very slow!). Also, the RSS/datacast thing is baffling, even after reading the instructions. Why can't I just click on an RSS feed? I don't get it. This is really bad.

Lastly, on your samsung.com/us/ webpage, the firmware upgrade instructions say to put the firmware files in the root of the player. Well guess what... because it's not handled like a hard drive, I can't GET to the root of the player. Please correct this.

Conclusion:

It's a good little player. A few firmware tweaks to make it more flexible will make it a great player.

The included software however is difficult to understand, has a confusing interface, and is generally not very good. Taking steps that will let your users use other software may be your best bet for having this product be popular.

=================================

Anyway, that's what I sent. I don't know if they'll listen or not.

I have some good Sennheiser headphones heading my way in the mail so I can better evaluate the sound quality of this little device but so far I've been quite pleased with the music playback and battery life. I've not watched any significant video on it, mostly just testing. I haven't gotten to try the text or RSS features yet.

Some have complained the touch buttons are too sensitive. That's probably accurate, I sometimes navigate menus I didn't intend. And I always lock the player... it will push buttons if it's in your pocket.

My one major complaint, as you may have guessed, is the included software. I think it's horrible. Really. Maybe I'll get used to it? I doubt it. Playlist management is horrible, navigating the GUI is horrible, and it's confusing overall. I don't like it. And like I said in my email to Samsung, I still don't understand how the RSS stuff is supposed to work.

Nevertheless, I still give the product a thumbs up, on the strength of the player.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Samsung Moderator

You could know before buying the item that it is MTP ! It's no surprise!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterx View Post
--- I want it to appear like a usb flash drive, with a drive letter in windows explorer. This is badly needed.
Samsung didn't intend the T10 to appear this way, but it may become available with future firmware versions.

Quote:
--- Add the ability to play sequentially through folders uploaded to the player. In other words, if I upload a dozen folders using windows explorer, I can then pick the first file in the first folder, and it will play through all files in alphabetical folder order, followed by alpha file order within each folder. It should handle subfolders. This is how most people organize their hard drives, and it would often negate the need for playlists. Another way to think of it is the music folder/file tree would be treated like a playlist, with ordering set first by folder name and then by file name.
The included music browser lets you do this.

Quote:
Software Suggestions:
The software that is included with this player is the worst part of the product. The Samsung media studio is pretty bad. Please don't force me to use it. Here is what users want... flexibility! I cannot stress this enough. Don't lock me into your software, especially when it is lackluster at best.

There are many ways to manage media files, many existing tools out there, so let me manage them with the tools I prefer. The only proprietary thing I see a need for is the video converter... have that available as a separate utility, which saves the resulting files to disk (so I don't have to convert them each time, it's very slow!). Also, the RSS/datacast thing is baffling, even after reading the instructions. Why can't I just click on an RSS feed? I don't get it. This is really bad.

Lastly, on your samsung.com/us/ webpage, the firmware upgrade instructions say to put the firmware files in the root of the player. Well guess what... because it's not handled like a hard drive, I can't GET to the root of the player. Please correct this.

The included software however is difficult to understand, has a confusing interface, and is generally not very good. Taking steps that will let your users use other software may be your best bet for having this product be popular.
You are not forced to use SMS. Many other software as well as windows explorer can transfer music to the T10. It should be possible to access the entire storage your player through My Computer, if you cannot then make sure your computer is running the latest updates from Microsoft. Video and playlists are the only two file types which (within reason) must be done through SMS or WMP.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 AM

Saw this at circuit city today. Much better than the K3. Animated menus are pretty cool

Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander View Post
Samsung didn't intend the T10 to appear this way, but it may become available with future firmware versions.
Having read all the reviews on the T9, I was hoping they would have learned customers wanted this, and have it ready at the outset. Since they didn't though, I wanted to make sure they knew users want it with this player too.

Quote:
The included music browser lets you do this.
That's a negative, ZZZ. The music browser lets you see files in your Music directory, navigate folders, and pick a song to play. Once you pick a starting point within a folder, however, it will only play the songs in that folder. Once it plays the last song in the folder, it goes back to standby mode.

What I want it to do is reach the end of the folder, then move to the next folder. My cheap-@ss Ford in-dash player has no problem with this concept, playing mp3's off CD. I want the T10 to have the ability to do the same. That way I can drag/drop an artist folder off my hard drive containing an artists discography, and on the player just pick the first song in the first folder to listen to all their work, in order.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Seems like a no-brainer feature to me.

Quote:
You are not forced to use SMS .... Video and playlists are the only two file types which (within reason) must be done through SMS or WMP.
Yes, but given the inability to play through a file structure, playlists are a must, if I don't want to keep fiddling with the player. If your mp3 collection is like mine, you get files from friends, and tagging is irregular at best, making playing by Artist, Album, or Genre frustrating or useless. And for video, I believe SMS is the only way ...if there is an alternative PLEASE tell me!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:30 PM

lebellium, true, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't encourage them to move to something more useful, since a firmware upgrade is more likely in my mind than getting some third-party to make a new release of the software.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Sound Quality

Ok, my new headphones came in the mail today so here is a brief review of the YP-T10's sound quality.

In short, it rocks.

Previously I had used the earbuds that came with the unit, or a relatively inexpensive pair of neckstrap-style Koss headphones. I knew these were not good quality, so I ordered a pair of Sennheiser PX100's off of Ebay (about $30 delivered).

The difference was amazing. With the right headgear, this little player is more than up to the task of excellent quality audio. With an absolutely flat EQ and no 3d/bass/sound enhancements, it is marvelous. I tried everything from chamber music on period instruments to Crystal Method, old Rhino blues to Motley Crue demos. It was the difference between listening to music, and HEARING the music, the notes, the instruments. Every nuance was where it should be, and it sounded grand.

The moral of the story folks is if you really want to enjoy the music coming out of your YP-T10, get yourself some good headphones, and toss those earbuds in the trash where they belong!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:37 PM

I just went out and bought one today, my T9 got bricked (never again will i listen to my player around a washing machine. >< ) Anyways, got the T10, paid 150 at Best Buy and it is amazing! It's quite a cut above the T9 (even tho it was more a replacement for the K5), and there is nothing about this player that doesnt seem like an upgrade from the T9. I only got the 4 GB, partly cuz thats all Best Buy had, and, honestly, I dont need more than 4 GB. I had a 30 gig PMP, and barely used 10 gigs of it (with full TV shows and the like). The layout is better than the T9 and the touch buttons (while needing some time to adjust to) are that much sleeker than the T9.

The player boots VERY quickly and navigating menus are quicker than in the T9 (which got UNBEARABLY slow the more music was on it.) I love Sammy and the animated menus. A really nice touch which I appreciate. And if i get bored with it, I can go to the inverted T9 Style X3.

The screen (just like the T9) is incredibly bright and clean, with even more resolution than the T9 (320x240 compared to 176x220 (my razr's resolution as well)). Bigger screen too!

Uses the same cable as the T9, so if one gets trashed, I have a backup. And while the SMS software isnt the best, it IS easy to transfer songs quickly to the player (faster than WMP can do it). The video converting is kind of slow, and I havent tried with WMP to do it. I know with the T9, the video was only 15 fps, and WMP couldnt convert to .SVI format. With this new version, it installed a codec pack. Maybe now WMP can do it. Gotta check it out.

If the battery is anything like the T9, this is gonna rock! Its rated for 30 hours audio and 4 hours video. I would get about 25 with my T9. With a bigger screen, i would except slightly less of a lasting time.

Sound is like I'd expect from Samsung. The T9 was very crisp sounding, which I love. The T10 has added features and I love the Crisp setting. Sounds much better on a set of Aiwa HP-223 closed ear headphones than the stock buds.

Looking forward to new firmware update and all. ^^ seems like its going to be an incredibly player. And thankfully, not an iPod.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM

After having mine for just over a month I have few likes and mostly dislikes. My problem is I tend to want firmware freedom of the Rockbox kind. My hope is that some how the Rockbox folks will do they're first Samsung and it being the T10....but I doubt they will. At least I've got the Korean UMS firmware on so that helped tremendously.

Some dislikes:

Can't delete a file or move it where I want.
Can't make my own playlists outside of the SMS.
No bookmarks for my podcasts.
And while I dig the touchscreen....ultimately it's just not for me.
Not a regular USB connection.
I'm tired of all the proprietary....and from the looks of it that's going to get much much worse throughout the future.

Some likes:

Love the look and feel.
The screen is fantastic I really would watch a movie on it.
The sound quality is great....more than I expected.
It's simple.

I bought this on a whim without checking it out due to it having bluetooth and me just coming across it on display.....the bluetooth is the part I really like....it works great and sounds great I really like no wires when I ride the bicycle. I can see the unit working for a lot of people.....but I would not buy again.....but now that I've have it I'm sure I'll be happy with it for quite some time in spite of my dislikes. :O)