android
Old 10-12-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Smart Volume? Flash or Hard Drive?

Hello all

First post on this forum and hoping someone out there can answer one or both of my questions.

Firstly, does anyone know if this player has the 'smart volume' function, which near-enough equalizes the volume of all music stored on the player? Incidentally, I'd also like to know if the Vision:M model has this feature, although I know that's probably for another forum.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I'm weighing up whether to get a flash player, perhaps with less memory, or a hard drive (basically the Zen or the Vision:M. The reason for asking is that I've has two Zen Sleeks and both have died after just over a year so I wondered if a flash drive would be likely to last longer or is it just as likely to malfunction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - please note that I have read other posts on the virtues or both players so I don't need to know much else about which is better of the two!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

david100

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Zen Vision:M, Zen V Plus and Zen Micro all have the smart volume feature, so I guess the Zen should have it too.

Now, about flash vs HDD, it's been debated time and time again in this and (I believe) other forums. I'll just drop my $0.02 on this:

Hard disk:

Pros:
More GB / money.

Cons:
Make for heavier players;
Easy to stop working if you drop them;
Shorter battery life (usually), since spinning the disk consumes a high amount of power.

Flash memory:

Pros:
Reliability;
Slimmer and lighter players;
Fast access times;
Longer battery life (solid state components).

Cons:
Pricey;
Not available in capacities > 16 GB for now. Memory card slots can remedy this problem, but the cards themselves are pricey too.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:31 AM

Thanks for that Almoxil, very useful and apologies if I've asked a question that's been asked many times before! Think it might be worth me getting the Vision:M for now on that basis and then when it (as is likely) gives up at the end of next year I can get myself a Zen, when hopefully the prices will have dropped and the memory card problem will be sorted!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Not at all, david100, and welcome to ABi!