android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 10-13-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Does the Zen Resume after Poweroff?

Posted this in the Sansa E280 forum. But just saw the Zen and liked the look/feel of it.

There doesn't seem a lot of info out there but I REALLY need to know this before I go ahead with the buy.

I currently have an iRiver IMP-400 on which I listen to my audiobooks. I split these into 5 minute chunks so I can easily go back and forth if necessary. (This is just a personal preference).
  1. When I power off (or even once when I had to replace the batteries) when I power back on, the unit returns to the correct place and resumes playing where it left off. When it finishes with that "chunk" it then moves on to the next file in the playlist.
  2. When I change to the FM radio and then back to the audiobook, it does the same as in 1 above, e.g. resumes from where it left off.
Does the Zen have the same functionailty? Specifically:
  • Resume at the correct point and carry on through the playlist after having
    1. been turned off,
    2. connected to the computer for a recharge or to have another playlist downloaded or
    3. gone to the FM function and then back to the audiobook/playlst again.
These are critical points and if the Zen doen't do them all then can anyone suggest an 8gb flash player that does?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-13-2007, 11:35 PM

Not sure about the Zen but the Cowon D2 does. I also listen to audio books and that function is a must.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 PM

I just noticed that it supports Audible. The D2 does not.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:00 PM

With the latest firmware, just out, the D2 also supports Audible.

I also listen to audiobooks and the things I want are that it resumes reliably and that fast forward and rewind accellerate so I can use files several hours long if I choose to. Most of the earlier Creative players do this but the Wav fast forward and rewind doesn't accellerate. Books have to be broken into small files.

I'm worried that the Zen won't either. Anybody know?

Barry

Old 10-14-2007, 06:38 PM

I see that Audible does have the D2 listed. This is great. Which firmware is it for the D2 that supports audible?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:47 AM

zen has bookmarks.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyb0y View Post
zen has bookmarks.
Yeah, got that. But if I forget to set a bookmark when I switch it off, does it continue playing through the playlist when I switch it back on?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If it works like the Zen Vision:M, Zen V Plus and Zen Micro (Creative usually keeps playlisting and bookmarking features consistent throughout their product line) and you turn the player off while listening to a track in a playlist (without pausing), it will reload the playlist and resume from the point where it was when you turn the player on again.

The bookmarks, though, have a problem (at least) in the above models: the current playlist isn't saved with the bookmark; so, when you start playing from one of the slots, the previous playlist won't be loaded, and only the bookmarked track will play.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
and you turn the player off while listening to a track in a playlist (without pausing)
But if I pause and then switch off, it does something else?

Old 10-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnurky View Post
But if I pause and then switch off, it does something else?
I'm not sure, but I guess it will rather keep you in the same position (paused) or will rewind the current track to the beginning.

I will check this later when I get home and will let you know.

Edit: did a test with my Zen V Plus and my Zen Vision:M: if you turn the player off while listening to a track, it will resume automatically when you turn it on again; if you pause the track and turn the ZV+ off, though, it will go to the beginning of the track when you turn it on; as for bookmarks, the current playlist isn't saved with them, that is, when you select a bookmark, only the bookmarked track will play.

I believe the new Zen should have the same behaviour, unless Creative improved those features for the new player.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
if you turn the player off while listening to a track, it will resume automatically when you turn it on again; if you pause the track and turn the ZV+ off, though, it will go to the beginning of the track when you turn it on; as for bookmarks, the current playlist isn't saved with them, that is, when you select a bookmark, only the bookmarked track will play.

I believe the new Zen should have the same behaviour, unless Creative improved those features for the new player.
Ok, thanks for the good reply - I'll just have to remember to switch it off without pausing it first. Cheers

Old 10-18-2007, 04:38 AM

MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!!

Bit the buillet and went down to buy one. Didn't have the 8gb in stock!! Bu**er I thought. Had a 4gb and I thought I'd try it out just to make sure that what I want to happen did happen.

And it didn't. When you leave a playing track and go into the FM radio then return to Music, it's at the start of the track!! Not where it was at all. it doesn't resume!!

If I'm listening to an audio book that's a couple of hours long, I don't want to hunt all the way through to where I was.

And before you say it, yes I know it has a bookmark - but what if I forget to use it??

Looks like it's back to the drawing booard.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

After reading about your disappointment with the new Zen, I tested my Cowon D2, regarding your requirements.
  1. I chose one of my albums and started playing it;
  2. Played part of the first track and then saved a bookmark;
  3. Switched to FM radio and listened for a while;
  4. Got back to the music and pressed play "button": it resumed from where it was before;
  5. I chose another album and started playing it;
  6. Went to the bookmark list and chose the bookmark I saved previously: it not only started from the right place, but also remembered the playlist (in this case, all other tracks of the album)
  7. Turned the player off, and on again. While it didn't start to play the track automatically, it did remember the position, and when I pressed play it started from there.
Maybe the Cowon D2 is a better choice for you, given your needs. I'm really sorry I haven't tested this before. It has an 8 GB version, and also a SDHC slot, so you'll be able to expand its memory in the future.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting. I just tested this on my ZVM, and it's exactly how Fnurky described it. In the 18 months I've owned this thing, I've never noticed that before.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:23 PM

Unbelievable. It sounds like Creative firmware developers have severe intellectual impairment. No Zen for me.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Is it that hard to set a bookmark? Wouldn't this solve the problem? I'm not being sarcastic; I've never had an MP3 player before, and this looks like the one I want to play music and listen to books. I don't think I'll have an issue remembering to set a bookmark, at least not when I get used to it, but I do want to be able to go to where I left off and continue. So if I do set one, will I be ok?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, it isn't. The problem, however, is using bookmarks and playlists together. Creative players don't store the current playlist along with the bookmarks when they're saved. When one resumes playback from a bookmark, only the current track will be retrieved (I tested this with both my Zen Vision:M and my Zen V Plus). Since the OP splits audiobooks in small chunks and builds playlists with them, the bookmark feature won't be of much help.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I guess it will rather keep you in the same position (paused) or will rewind the current track to the beginning.

I will check this later when I get home and will let you know.

Edit: did a test with my Zen V Plus and my Zen Vision:M: if you turn the player off while listening to a track, it will resume automatically when you turn it on again; if you pause the track and turn the ZV+ off, though, it will go to the beginning of the track when you turn it on; as for bookmarks, the current playlist isn't saved with them, that is, when you select a bookmark, only the bookmarked track will play.

No, you're correct. My Zen starts from the beginning of the track if I pause it before shutting down, but resumes where I left off if I just switch straight off. While testing this I came across the most amusing (for me but :sigh: no doubt potentially a 'deal-breaker' for those sour-faced, angry, emo-types ) quirk! If you're in random play (shuffle) and you shut down without pausing, the Zen remembers where you were up to on the track and restarts at this same point.... on a completely different random track!

Sweet! I'll put this down as a Creative Zen undocumented bonus feature!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 PM

Now I am concerned. I am beginning to wonder if this is the player for me if I want to listen to audio books without having to search for where I left off each time. It sounds like what is being said here is that bookmarks are useless when listening to books. Is that really the case? If so, I need to hurry and cancel that preorder!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:54 PM

"It sounds like what is being said here is that bookmarks are useless when listening to books."

If somebody has a link to a free audiobook I'd be happy to check this. I did try going into an album, playing a track then sticking a bookmark halfway through it. Resuming from the bookmark left me with just that track playing (1/1 written above the album art) and once complete it didn't progress through the album...