android
  #1  
Old 10-18-2007, 12:43 PM
myet01 myet01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Default Pilot Accessories

Ok, one of the things that makes any consumer product successful is accessories. That is one reason the IPOD is such a hit. I know about the arm band and have read the one posting about it.

But, are there any other third party accessory suppliers for the Pilot? Does anyone have links?

Thanks,

Tony
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 10-18-2007, 02:37 PM
mattschuette's Avatar
mattschuette mattschuette is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 110
Default

I'd guess the only reason there is a cottage industry of iPod accessories is the proprietary connector. The Pilot doesn't really have any proprietary connectors (maybe video out), so feel free to choose whatever standard accessories you like. Virtually all headphones in the world will work... including bluetooth wireless ones. I've seen countless iPod docks... people will put speakers in ANYTHING. So, if you really want crappy sound from poor speakers, I've seen mp3 player docks that have a standard 1/8" plug instead of (or in addition to) the iPod plug. You won't be able to control playback, that way though... perhaps there is a bluetooth dock? Better, just hook it up to your home theater with a standard 1/8" to stereo RCA cable and enjoy speakers that are probably MUCH better than the docks. If you need a charger, don't feel bound to something from Insignia, just use any USB charger... a few people here have mentioned that their cell phone chargers work great. Finally, the best accessory for an MP3 player I've ever heard of is a 16GB SDHC flash card! Is there some other kind of accessory that you have only seen for iPods?
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 PM
myet01 myet01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Default

I was thinking mostly of cases especially those with belt clips, etc....

Tony
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 10-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Tu154 Tu154 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
Default

There are some bluetooth 'docks'. They are really just speakers with a2dp though. You can control the music from the player like a remote. I was looking at getting something like this not to long ago and there are some good options:

http://www.gear4.com/product_detail.php?products_id=371

http://www.gear4.com/product_detail.php?products_id=370

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/parrotboombox

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/parrotsoundsystem

This one is also an ipod dock:
http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...stem+BTM630-37
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
orbitalcomp orbitalcomp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myet01 View Post
Ok, one of the things that makes any consumer product successful is accessories. That is one reason the IPOD is such a hit. I know about the arm band and have read the one posting about it.

But, are there any other third party accessory suppliers for the Pilot? Does anyone have links?

Thanks,

Tony
Someone posted in the case thread about a leather case from DLO that is made for the Pilot. I did see this last night at Best Buy, they were just putting them out as a new product.

I was surprised to see a third-party case for the Pilot, since all of the other stuff is made by Insignia. Guess BB has some serious pull with certain suppliers...

On another note - this store already had the DLO cases for the 2nd-gen Zune flash players that won't even be out for a month or so. Weird...
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 10-18-2007, 05:50 PM
orbitalcomp orbitalcomp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu154 View Post
There are some bluetooth 'docks'. They are really just speakers with a2dp though. You can control the music from the player like a remote. I was looking at getting something like this not to long ago and there are some good options:

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/parrotboombox
I have this unit, and it is fantastic! I bought it at Sharper Image to use with all of my BT devices (media players, computers, phones, etc.) The sound is better than many stereo systems, and the thing has a solid wood cabinet and weighs at least 15 pounds. It's not cheap, but it is the "Mercedes" of BT speaker boxes.

Also, you can get one of these little adapters and it will convert any iPod speaker dock into a universal BT speaker:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188438378818

My local BB had these already on the shelves for sale as of last night. I have one made by another company, and I have been using it with the Pilot without any problems for a while now. This is the Anycom version that I have:

http://www.anycom.com/products/bluet...102&group_id=2

Good luck!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 10-18-2007, 06:22 PM
myet01 myet01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalcomp View Post
Someone posted in the case thread about a leather case from DLO that is made for the Pilot. I did see this last night at Best Buy, they were just putting them out as a new product.

I was surprised to see a third-party case for the Pilot, since all of the other stuff is made by Insignia. Guess BB has some serious pull with certain suppliers...

On another note - this store already had the DLO cases for the 2nd-gen Zune flash players that won't even be out for a month or so. Weird...
I saw that post as well. I went out to DLO ( http://www.dlo.com/ ) but could not find it on their site. I also went to BB on line and could not find it there as well?

Tony
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 PM
myet01 myet01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Default

You guys are awesome, this is what I am talking about! I wonder, should we have a sticky thread with nothing but Pilot accessories and links on it?

Tony
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 PM
covertrussian's Avatar
covertrussian covertrussian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 586
Default

Poof
__________________
-Insignia Pilot 8GB - Dead , Screen is not easily replaceable at all
-Cowon D2 16GB - The Pilot Replacement
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 AM
myet01 myet01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Default

I saw an Insignia portable bluetooth enabled MP3 Stereo speaker set (NS-BT400) in the BB Sunday advertisement today for $79.00.

Tony
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 AM
lejm lejm is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Default

The DLO case is up for sale on the BB site - no images yet though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1190411437142

According to the specs, it has the belt clip. I'd get it just for that, since none of the other cases have that functionality.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 10-26-2007, 05:21 PM
febco1 febco1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4
Smile DLO Case

I purchased the DLO Leather Slip Case and it works well. Now to nitpick a little bit, it does not hold the Pilot tight so it can slip out. The case opening for the power switch is too close to the front face of the Pilot so you have to push down on the opening to slide the switch. On the other side the Pilot SD door is covered by the case for about 10 mm so you have to partially slide the Pilot out of the case to access the SD cover door. Overall the case looks good, it is practical and the plastic window protects the Pilot screen. The opening for the rotary wheel is perfectly aligned. The belt clip works well. I also have the silicone case, which I like but I wished it had a protective window and a true belt clip.

febco1
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 10-31-2007, 03:24 PM
myet01 myet01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Default

Here is a real neat idea, record TV or anything else directly to an SD Card (in MPEG4) without a computer. Then, move the SD card to your Pilot to watch it. It is called the SanDisk SDMV1-R V-Mate Video Memory Card Recorder

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMV1-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here is another one called the Neuros MPEG-4 Recorder 2 Plus Digital Video Recorder

http://www.amazon.com/Neuros-MPEG-4-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Tony
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 10-31-2007, 04:20 PM
digitaldel digitaldel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 114
Default

We made this accessory to make using an existing speaker dock you own possible with the Sport or Pilot using Bluetooth.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188438378818
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 03-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Matt K Matt K is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by febco1 View Post
I purchased the DLO Leather Slip Case and it works well. Now to nitpick a little bit, it does not hold the Pilot tight so it can slip out. The case opening for the power switch is too close to the front face of the Pilot so you have to push down on the opening to slide the switch. On the other side the Pilot SD door is covered by the case for about 10 mm so you have to partially slide the Pilot out of the case to access the SD cover door. Overall the case looks good, it is practical and the plastic window protects the Pilot screen. The opening for the rotary wheel is perfectly aligned. The belt clip works well. I also have the silicone case, which I like but I wished it had a protective window and a true belt clip.

febco1
I bought this (after not liking the action jacket)and tested it out. This is definitely a lot better case. It was easier to take the player out and access the buttons. In addition, I was also worried that player would fall out. Well, I turned it upside down and shook it vigorously for a good while and it didn't even move. I'm pretty happy so far (after a full day).
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
vferrari vferrari is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myet01 View Post
Here is a real neat idea, record TV or anything else directly to an SD Card (in MPEG4) without a computer. Then, move the SD card to your Pilot to watch it. It is called the SanDisk SDMV1-R V-Mate Video Memory Card Recorder

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMV1-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here is another one called the Neuros MPEG-4 Recorder 2 Plus Digital Video Recorder

http://www.amazon.com/Neuros-MPEG-4-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Tony
Tony,

Have you tested these out? The pilot is very specific on the video profiles it accepts and I'm not sure these recorders will record in the right xvid/wmv format.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM
gantt gantt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myet01 View Post
Here is a real neat idea, record TV or anything else directly to an SD Card (in MPEG4) without a computer. Then, move the SD card to your Pilot to watch it. It is called the SanDisk SDMV1-R V-Mate Video Memory Card Recorder

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMV1-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here is another one called the Neuros MPEG-4 Recorder 2 Plus Digital Video Recorder

http://www.amazon.com/Neuros-MPEG-4-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Tony
Tony,

Have you tested these out? The pilot is very specific on the video profiles it accepts and I'm not sure these recorders will record in the right xvid/wmv format.
Unfortunately, the Neuros MPEG4 Recorder 2 files don't seem to play on the Pilot, at least not natively. This was a key reason I bought the Pilot.

The Pilot manual says:
"Your player can show MPEG-4 videos. No other video formats are supported."

So I recorded on the Neuros using several file formats:
320x240 30 fps, 320 x 240 15 fps, 320 x 240 3gp
The first 2 formats have .MP4 extensions; I did the 3gp just in case.
None of them show up in the Pilot's Folder Browser.

I then tried changing the file extensions from MP4 to AVI. That makes them show up in the Pilot's Folder Browser, but it displays an error message when I try to play them.

My Motorola Q, fortunately, has no problems playing back the Neuros files using TCPMP.

I thought the Pilot would be nice as a dedicated player, especially since both the Pilot and the Neuros use SD cards - no adapters required. (I didn't realize how difficult it is to insert and remove SD cards on the Pilot).

If someone knows an easy way to make the Neuros MPEG4 files play natively on the Pilot, let me know, Otherwise, unfortunately, I'll be returning the Pilot today.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.