Initial Software and Hardware Impressions of the Sansa View
Initial Software and Hardware Impressions of the Sansa View:
Nice firmware update from the Sansa e200 series.
Good additional software features:
* A new menu item is the "Now Playing/Last Played" on Home Menu which allows you to return to the currently playing music, video or photo.
* On the Music menu, there is a "Recently Added" menu item at the top. Yeah, now I can see the latest tracks I just downloaded to the player.
* You now delete tracks ("Delete Song") on the player instead of only from a computer using the USB cable. Yes!!
* "Repeat" can now be selected either by Song or All. Have to select "Repeat", press center button and scroll through the options, press center button again to finalize your selection.
* There is a "Purchase" selection which will have to be examined in more detail.
* Podcasts and Audiobooks are new menu items under Music which I like a lot because I love podcasts! Previously Podcasts were listed under Genre in the Sansa e260.
More comments on the Software and Menus:
* No way to create playlist except the same old "Music to Go" list. Bummer!
* Radio, Settings/Options and Voice Recorder are listed under "More" and the treasure chest icon. A small change but those items should probably have stayed in the Home menu. I had to look hard to find the "Settings" menu.
Hardware comments after an evening of listening and viewing (no pun intended) on the Sansa View:
* I like the new "Thumbwheel". It still glows the "cool blue" like the e200 series and the outside buttons are integrated into the "Thumbwheel" similar to the iPod. The "Thumbwheel" looks more professionally done and works smoother than the e200 series scroll button.
* The Sansa View still has the beloved "Home" button that really helps navigation.
* Under the "Settings - Info", the memory shows 15530 MB on the Sansa View and 15299 MB Free. Initially there are 20 demo songs, one beautiful BBC nature video and ten photos. I show Firmware Version 01.00.00A.
* The back of the Sansa View does not have the LiquidMetal of the Sansa e200 series and but instead has a black rubberized metal for the back. There are no screws so there will probably not be a way to easily replace the battery.
* For the power on/off and reset button, you have to use the "Hold" switch on the left side of the Sansa View.
* The MicroSD slot is on the right hand side of the Sansa View. My 2GB MicroSD card worked fine without the long bootup required in the e200 series of Sansa players. The first time the MicroSD card is inserted, there is a database refresh but then the Sansa View almost turns on instantly.
* The headphone jack is on the bottom of the Sansa View next to the USB connection. (Not a good choice since I prefer the traditional location on the top of a MP3 player but this is just my preference.)
* Initial sound quality is still too early to judge - first impression is that there is better stereo imaging.
* Album cover images are much clearer and sharper and work similar to the e200 series players. There is a nice feature where you can select "Display Art in Lists" and the Album cover shows at the top of the Song List for that album. Not quite like the new iPod Cover Flow but at least a nice addition.
* I'm a big Rhapsody fan and still have to test the Sansa View with Rhapsody.
* Turning on the Sansa View with the on/off "Hold" switch on the left hand side produces a quick "on" compared the slower e200 series.
* Smooth, easy-to-use, nice-looking.
* Only negatives are the lack of a case and the size - slightly bigger than the Sanse e200 series and not including a built-in lanyard. I use my MP3 players on a long bus/train commute and need the safety of a neck lanyard or a clip case.
* Lots of flash memory - price per GB can't be beat.
* So far, no bugs or glitches - the Sansa View works great out of the box!
Overall, a great addition to the Sansa family. I can't wait to fill up all that wonderful 16GB of flash memory. So far, I love my Sansa View.
Here's a direct link to the online manual for the Sansa View:
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.