android
Old 10-23-2007, 05:14 PM

Default can anyone confirm unicode on Sansa View?

I think Sansa turns off a majority of foreign music listeners who like Sansa but dislike Sandisk's lack of unicode support... for the E2xx series, users had to turn the whole player to a specific language to get correct names... is this the same on the View?

I am most concerned about asian characters.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2007, 06:03 PM

It supports at least some unicode. As it supports a number of languages which use non ASCII characters:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15750353@N05/1698172911/

Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 PM

from Zivan's screenshot, i am almost 100% sure now it still doesn't natively support asian characters as there isn't japanese or chinese in the menu.... what a shame for sansa... I guess SanDisk will never realize that they need to put support for asian character sets ... i guess that kills sansa as a potential choice for me :/

Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Haha I made an account just to not turn you off to the view haha.

Actually it does seem to support unicode. I tried to take a picture but the screen brightness blurred it all out. Anyhow though, my Japanese songs are coming up with kanji or kana just fine.

Actually that screenshot he showed you isn't 100% accurate either, I don't think he scrolled down to check, if you scroll off the first page there's actually an entirely second page of languages, it has a ton in here, the second page has a number of unusual things, such as Russian, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese and simplified Chinese :O

Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 AM

According the the Sansa View Language Menu under Settings, these languages are supported and it appears to use Unicode:

1) Dansk
2) Deutsch
3) English
4) Español
5) Français
6) Italiano
7) Latviešu
8) Magyar
9) Nederlands
10) Norsk
11) x`Polski
12) Português
13) Português do Brasil
14) Română
15) Slovenčina
16) Slovenščina
17) Srpski
18) Suomi
19) Svenska
20) Turkce
21) Íslensk
22) Čeština
23) EAAnvika (Sorry, can't accurately reproduce Cyrillic)
24) Pyccknn (both nn are inversed on screen. I can't reproduce)
25 to 29) Asian languages that I can't reproduce. They are written in Unicode and appear to be Chinese, simplified Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Korean. I'm sure someone more familiar with these characters can evaluate better than I can - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 AM

That's good to here. The unicode was also the reason why I wasn't expecting to get the View. So, would you have to set the language in, lets say, Korean in order to view Korean words or could you view them while setting the language as English? Thanks.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 AM

When first starting up the Sansa View, the View goes straight to the language selection screen where you can scroll through and select your desired language.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangster View Post
That's good to here. The unicode was also the reason why I wasn't expecting to get the View. So, would you have to set the language in, lets say, Korean in order to view Korean words or could you view them while setting the language as English? Thanks.
You don't have to be in that language for the song titles to display properly, I'm in English reading Japanese titles just fine

Old 10-25-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahall1983 View Post
You don't have to be in that language for the song titles to display properly, I'm in English reading Japanese titles just fine
Cool, good to hear that. Now, I have to decide between the View or the P2. Hmm........ I hate deciding between two players.