android
Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 AM

Default Charging or dead Zen issue

Hi

This is my first post here, I’ve look through various threads regarding charging issues with the ZVM, but I think mine is different to any that I’ve read.

I suspect that my ZVM or battery is possibly dead, as if I connect with just a (known working USB cable) I get no life from the player at all.

If I connect via AC input, I get a Solid Blue LED, I have left the ZVM in this state for more than 12 hours, in an attempt to fully charge a fully depleted battery, but once I disconnect from the AC input, & then try to turn the ZVM on, I again loose all signs of life, as soon as I disconnect from the AC input the solid blue led goes out & only returns when connection is re-made to the AC input.

If I disconnect the USB cable between ZVM & PC while the AC input is connected, I can get the four blue led’s under the buttons to light, & the screen shows “Creative”, but no combination of button pushing or turning on changes the screen or indicates a working state.
USB cable, the button lights & screen go off & the blue led remains solid.

If I disconnect the AC input & leave the USB connected, the unit turns off completely no solid blue led.

Also at no time, has the ZVM been acknowledged by & connected to the PC.

I don’t know if my firmware version in the dodgy 1.4xx, but without my ZVM making a connection to my PC, I can’t upgrade anyway.

I’m at a loss as to know what to do next, any ideas……..is my ZVM dead.

Hope someone can help……….
msimmo

Last edited by FrododorF; 11-14-2007 at 08:57 AM. Reason: got rid of word formating

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Smileys is a privilige, not a right Use them better

Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 AM

Sorry didn't realize I'd done something wrong.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If having it plugged to an AC wall charger (not the USB ones, right?) for twelve hours doesn't bring your ZV:M to life again, it may be a dead battery. But I would try a second AC wall charger, or plugging the player into someone else's computer, before giving up. You have nothing to lose, anyway.

By the way, what's the output amperage rating of your charger? A model with low amperage output (500 mAh, for example) will take twice as long a 1000 mAh charger to get a depleted battery fully charged again.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 AM

Thanks for a prompt reply, from memory I think the multi-purpose charger I am using is 1250mA with a 4.5V option & no 5V option, so you think that 12 hrs may not be enough?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimmo View Post
Thanks for a prompt reply, from memory I think the multi-purpose charger I am using is 1250mA with a 4.5V option & no 5V option, so you think that 12 hrs may not be enough?
In theory that would be enough, but your charger could be broken, unless you have a multimeter the only way to test if it is working properly is to get another charger that you know is working ( and has the correct specs) and try that, also you might try to find a 5v charger just to be sure.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^^ What he says.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I concur. Try another charger. Be sure to NOT use one that plugs into the ZVM's USB port. Also, verify the polarity of the charger. The center pin should be carrying the positive voltage. Look for a symbol on the charger that looks something like this:
+ --O)-- -
or look at the symbol on the front of the ZVM's dongle right above the DC jack, and make sure the symbol on the charger matches.

The fact that you got some signs of life with both the charger and USB cable plugged in tells me that it's either insufficient charging voltage/current or that the ZVM's battery is no longer chargable.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Unfortunately I don't have another charger available, the one I have connects via the DC input, & is rated at 4.5 V 1200mAh. (Polarity correct)

I have now split the case of my ZVM open as shown by the dismantle guide on this site, this has allowed me to find out the following:

With the DC power connected, causing the Blue LED to light to shine solidly, I can dis-connect the battery via the small connector to the PCB, doing this doesn't make the solid Blue LED go out, making me think that my battery is taking no charge.

Also when I connect the USB cable from the ZVM to my PC with the DC power connected, causing the screen to come on with "Creative" & the four buttons to illuminate, I am now able to press the reset switch, as I can get to it with DC power connected. Unfortunately this has made no difference, the display & buttons turn off briefly, then come back on with no change. Pressing buttons does nothing, just as trying to turn on & off the player also.

Any ideas.........change the battery or leaving it attempting to charge?

Also I still get no connection recognition from my PC

Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your computer isn't going to be able to recognize your player until your player is capable of powering up and booting.

I'm getting the distinct feeling the battery is bad, the charging circuit is detecting this, and isn't letting the player start boot-up.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:09 AM

Thanks for your thoughts ZenChick, I have found info here on getting a replacement battery http://www.solware.co.uk/creative-ze...-battery.shtml

Does anyone have personal experiance to know if they are reliable replacements?

Does anyone know of any other sources to purchase replacement batteries?

Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not entirely sure I could trust an online store that can't even be bothered to spell-check their websites, but - no, I have no personal experience with those guys, so can't really advise.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:07 PM

I think I'm having a similar issue.

I went to start up my ZVM and it turned on for a second and then shut off. It would look like it's charging, and then when I'd turn it on it would shut off again. Even after charging over-night.

So, I figured the battery was boned.

So I ordered a new battery and just installed it. Surprisingly it came about half full!

When I turn my ZVM on it shows "creative", then "zen", then black. Nothing. Not even a battery sign. I know the battery is half full because I went into recovery mode and it shows up. I tried "clean up", and "reformat' and neither of those things fixed the problem.

I tried plugging it into my computer to charge, but it turns on automatically when I do that and just goes to the black screen again. In recovery mode it doesn't charge (I don't know if that's normal). If I shut-down the player from recovery mode with it plugging into my PC, it doesn't charge. That is REALLY weird because when I was having issues with the old battery (until it finally wouldn't turn on at all) it would flash and look like it was charging. Now, nothing.

At no point does it get recognized by Windows.

I'm using the latest version of XP.

I thought about upgrading to the latest version of the firmware (I believe I'm at 1.20.xxx), but if it's not going to be detected by windows after I run that option, I don't want to be completely screwed.

So, I'm not sure where to go from here...

Last edited by arlojj; 11-23-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: update

Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Question: Is your player recognized when you plug it into your computer with the player in Recovery Mode? If so, then you should be able to update your firmware without a problem.

However, given that your player is not charging even in Recovery Mode, I have to suspect an actual hardware problem. Since you've already replaced the battery, we can safely eliminate that as PCOF (Probable Cause of Failure).

Do you have access to a wall charger, such as Creative's universal charger, or a PSP charger? If so, and if it's not the type that plugs into the player's mini-USB port, then give that a try. But if that doesn't get your player going, then I have to conclude that the problem is with your player's mainboard, particularly if a firmware reload doesn't fix it either.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Question: Is your player recognized when you plug it into your computer with the player in Recovery Mode? If so, then you should be able to update your firmware without a problem.
No, and that's the other strange thing. That before I replaced the battery it would appear to be charging, and when it did turn on, however briefly, it would be detected by windows.

I found an appropriate adapter that I had for some other device (5V DC + tip) and when I plugged it in, success, it charged!

So I attached it to my mothers computer and for some reason it was detected in recovery mode. I had trouble with the firmware update on her computer so I took it back up to mine. Went into devices and there it was, it wasn't automatically installed (for some weird reason). So I did a scan for new devices and it installed automatically.

I erased the firmware in recovery mode and then updated it with the new one. Before the PC software bar got to the end it quickly flashed "Reboot device" or something on the Zen, and then locked up. After I reset, it still just displays "Creative" and then "Zen" and then a black screen with the front panel lights on.

Talk about frustrating! But I know I'm not alone.

Last edited by arlojj; 11-24-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: updated status