android
Old 11-23-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Anybody Using Linux?

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anybody else was using linux. I'm also curious as to what music management software you guys would recommend. I have amarok right now so if you guys have any tips or recommended alternatives, please let me know.

Thanks and regards,

lorsban

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2007, 06:00 AM

The X5 works fine on Ubuntu and Gentoo for me (same as it should be on any other distro). I don't use any music management, only manual drag'n'drop. Songbird looks really promising, you might keep an eye on that one.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:15 PM

I'm using xandros (it's the os that came with the computer) been using drag and drop ever since I got the x5 but I was looking for something I can create playlists with. Songbird looks good but I want a light interface that's not too graphic-y. Thanks anyway!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:27 PM

I use Debian Etch, and currently I haven't been able to find any music player (are you talking about music players here? I assume so) - which doesn't organize things using the tags. All I really want is something that shows me directories and lets me click on songs to play them directly. I don't know if I'm missing something (probably am, knowing Linux software) but amarok seems to force me to first click on a track to add it to the current playlist before I can then actually play it. Also, in Etch at least, amarok is broken when playing FLACs - you can't use the slider to fast forward through a track - it just freezes. Also, flacs seem to be cut off sometimes a couple of seconds before the end.

I really wish Linux programmers would stop designing bloated monstrosities that have every doodad under the sun, and every option imaginable, yet seem to miss out on the very simplest of things, such as just playing a fricking song or looking at my stuff the way I organized it (in directories)... and there always seem to be about eight different versions of the same basic program. I have Juk, Amarok, Listen, Noatun, Rhythmbox, Kaboodle... and that doesn't even include the ones that do movies as well. I would prefer a little less choice and a little more focus on polishing up the last 20% of just one of these apps that would make it truly usable. All too often the open source programmers are more interested in gaining personal glory through designing something from scratch, rather than the more mundane task of perfecting something that already largely works.

And yes, I am a programmer - but no, I don't have time to go around doing it all myself, unfortunately.

/Neil

Old 12-05-2007, 01:40 PM

I'll be a future user...

On Ubuntu myself. There's a -ton- of excellent music players out there, but I prefer Amarok. Exaile is really good too though.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 PM

I've used many distros, and have come to prefer Exaile! over Amorak, but thats my personal preference.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Amarok's pretty good at playlist creation but I agree, it's too cumbersome a player to use if you just want to listen to a tune.

I think there are simpler players out there something like a winamp clone or something.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 PM

i believe you are thinking of XMMS?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srozzman View Post
i believe you are thinking of XMMS?
Or it's GTK2+ counterpart: Beep Media Player
http://sourceforge.net/projects/beepmp

Linux How-To: Easy Video Conversions for the Sansa View