android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 11-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Default The Pilot may very well be the player of my dreams [for now] (Am I wrong?)

I have been looking for a player that supports the following features:

A2DP
SDHC
Line-in recording
Video out
Removable battery
MTP/Playsforsure
MSC/folder browsing for music playing using folders instead of tags
Compact size
Audible support

The only thing that the Pilot does not seem to have is built-in mic for recording.

I almost bought the Cowon D2 when I came across the Pilot. Are all of the features I listed above true and available with the Pilot, or am I just over wishing?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-25-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Bingo! The Pilot is an awesome player.

You're right. Not only is the Pilot the DAP I've been waiting for, I'm considering buying a second just in case these disappear from the market. I know this sounds a little unlikely but if you consider what happened to Rio, superior design isn't a guarantee of market success. The Pilot's excellence lives in the details. Bookmarking, form factor, battery life, excellent display, Audible compatibility (format 4 support!), capacity, sd/sdhc slot, sd/sdhc data integration with the main memory, sleep timer, ums, standard usb connector, bluetooth and overall durability and software/firmware stability. Any of these features aren't unique in and of themselves but the fact that the Pilot has them all is. It's the dap I've been waiting for for several years. I've been using Carbons for that long. I've been watching what other companies have been offering but none have produced a player with all the features mentioned above. My only gripe is with bookmarking. The bookmark switch is a rocker-type. When setting a bookmark, it can be difficult to do smoothly because the switch has to be positioned tightly. If the rocker goes a little to one side or the next, you won't be able to set one. Also, I'd prefer the bookmarks always default to and over-write number one as the Carbon and Karma did. As it is, you can wind up with a ton of bookmarks that can be difficult to navigate through. By the way, I actually did buy the D2 before I knew of the Pilot. It's a really nice player but doesn't have Audible support and the touch screen is not what I was looking for. I bought it through Amazon based on a cnet review which said it was Audible compatible in error. I wound up returning it. Also, I just checked Best Buy's website (11/25/07). The 8GB Pilot is on sale for $151.99.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:45 AM

Thanks for your comments. D2 is a very nice player. I do wish that the Pilot has a built-in microphone. It comes in handy sometimes.

BTW, the D2, with its latest firmware update, does support Audible. It is also now listed on Audible's website. If the D2 had A2DP/BT, I may have swinged that way...

Old 11-25-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Cowon/Audible?

Nice move on the part of Cowon. I didn't know they finally released the firmware update needed for Audible. Regardless, I'd still go with the Pilot.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:42 AM

I will agree, I was shocked to hear that there was a player that would have everything I want!

The only perk to me is, having to convert videos and no VGA video support