android
Old 11-25-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Audible navigation displeasures

As far as I can tell, one can traverse chapters by enabling the section feature (pressing ^) during Audible content. Then, by pressing > will go forward in chapters and < will go back.

The problem is, while I'm listening to a book, I want to hear something again, and go back ten seconds or a few minutes, I can't. If I press <, it goes back to whatever the last built-in chapter mark is, which can be half hour or more. If I want to go forward a few seconds or a few minutes, I can't do that either. This is particularly necessary when listening to language books or books that describes things in detail.

As far as I can tell, the Pilot can't "fast forward" or "rewind". Am I stuck with this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 AM

Default The navigation wheel is two-stage..

A light press left or right will fast forward. A hard press will skip chapters or books depending on where you have the (^) set.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:37 AM

Carbon, thanks for your reply. I RTFM last night and didn't see anything about Audible FF or RW. From what I can tell, the direction buttons are not exactly two stage, but what I figured out is that if I "click" (press and release) the button, it will go to the next book, but if I "press and hold", then it will FF or RW.

I find the buttons to have a hard click, they are very tactile. The device does not respond if I press lightly and release (unlike an auto-focus camera, where, the light press commands the camera to focus).

Are we talking about the same thing?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 AM

Not sure about Audible content, but with regular music, press and hold Play while it is playing. This puts the Pilot in a sort of pause mode, but rolling the wheel will ff/rew depending on the direction. I gather from other topics here, though, that it has an acceleration to it that makes it difficult to fast forward, say, 30 minutes. Short spans should be good though.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
Not sure about Audible content, but with regular music, press and hold Play while it is playing. This puts the Pilot in a sort of pause mode, but rolling the wheel will ff/rew depending on the direction. I gather from other topics here, though, that it has an acceleration to it that makes it difficult to fast forward, say, 30 minutes. Short spans should be good though.
Thanks for that. Audible books indeed work like that as well. Who knew! I guess I need to RTFM closer.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:31 PM

Are you sure that in normal play mode (before you have gone to chapter mode by pressing ^) that you cannot press and hold < or > to get FF and RW? I don't have an Audible book on mine at the moment, but I swore that the FF and RW worked fine for .aa files.

I sure like the auto bookmark on regular MP3 placed in the Audible folder. Finally somebody designed a player with audiobook fans in mind! Not since the Rio has it been this good.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 PM

Yes, we tried hard to embrace the MP3 book listeners as it was clear there were a ton of users of our players who wanted to use it in this fashion. My personal goal is to get our players to the Rio level, we are definitely not there yet, but someday hopefully.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Bookmarks!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalq View Post
I sure like the auto bookmark on regular MP3 placed in the Audible folder. Finally somebody designed a player with audiobook fans in mind! Not since the Rio has it been this good.
Interesting, I do not have the Pilot because I assumed Resume was still confused with Bookmark. Is this really a Bookmark?

Thanks for the heads up on the "Audible folder", this makes it easier to trouble shoot should I invest...

Problem is to figure out how get my playlisted Audio books to sync into the Audible Folder without braking the sequencial order or pla file hook. Need to stay in MTP due to aa files that are unconvered.

All my mp3 books end up under artist/album as music in the NS-DV, of course I'm assuming Bookmark is inop in the older model.

Tempted to pick up the Pilot just to see if this would work for my needs.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 PM

Sounds like you need to drag and drop. With WMP 11 installed I have a nice little icon in my "My Computer" that let's me browse folders and drag and drop onto the player. If your files are named alphanumerically, then you should have no problems with play order. Seems we have found that if we merge audiobooks into one or two files like the ones we get from Audible, then the bookmarking and resume functions are much easier to use since the bookmark will not remember a playlist (even internal playlist) so loading a bookmark results in a playlist of one file.

Since the accelerating FF and RW works so well, I don't have any issue at all with 5 or 10 hour files.

And yes, I know that many confuse bookmarks and resume. The function you get when placing non .aa (audible) files in the Audible folder is something in between, since it seems that it will remember your place in the files in that folder. In other words I can go play a bunch of music, Audible books, or listen to radio etc. and come back to play that same file, it automatically starts where it left off.

HTH

Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Dang it, I really like the NS-DV4G, the pilots older buba.
Should be called a red-headed step child, always enjoyed flaming red heads

I haven't tried the drag-n-drop in to the Audible folder on the NS-DV, will have to try this weekend but I have a feeling even FW 1.2 will not do this...

I thought MTP was improved because of SP2, yet just checked on a default XP pro with WMP 9 and MTP is mature. (good to know)

Drag n Drop will work fine on multi 8hr long files; even the CD book 70 minute format would be good to go.
I have some chunked book files for lyric modifications at 3 to 8 minutes, so on smaller books at 10 hr, 200 files is minimum count.

This is why MTP's playlisting is so important to me for large book series and the ability to do sub-(multi)level Author\Book Series\Book\Bk_#-###-File_Name.mp3 playlist grouping.
It makes access on the player very easy, but on large files this could become interesting, especially when a 16 GB card can hold a very large library.

Of course, due to the file limit (due boot time issues)on the both the NS-DV and Fat32 players in general, I would keep less than 1 GB of small file books on the player (around 1K)

Right now, there is no DAP that can do lyrics. I believe this will become popular once E-Books and Audio Books merge into a unified product. Time will tell.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 AM

Just to solidify a suspicion I talked about earlier:
I have no problems at all FF and RW'ing through an Audible (.aa) book. If I'm in normal play mode (not the chapter mode) then holding < or > for a beat or two results in the player starting to FF or RW. No audible indication, so need to watch the screen, but it seems to work fine. So in answer to snovvman's original question, it works fine here, perhaps you aren't holding down long enough, are in chapter mode (though FF and RW still work in chapter mode, you just have to hold down instead of click) or there is an issue with your player or firmware?

HTH,
Chris

Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalq View Post
Just to solidify a suspicion I talked about earlier:
I have no problems at all FF and RW'ing through an Audible (.aa) book. If I'm in normal play mode (not the chapter mode) then holding < or > for a beat or two results in the player starting to FF or RW. No audible indication, so need to watch the screen, but it seems to work fine. So in answer to snovvman's original question, it works fine here, perhaps you aren't holding down long enough, are in chapter mode (though FF and RW still work in chapter mode, you just have to hold down instead of click) or there is an issue with your player or firmware?

HTH,
Chris
Chris, you are correct. It works as you described. Also, as illuminated by mattschuette, press and holding the "play" button will then allow one to use the wheel to traverse throught the content. Thanks for clarifying.