android
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Falling out of love with the Pilot...

I've had it for 8 hours, transfered subscription content from Yahoo! Music Unlimited and Audible. First I discovered that I cannot fast forward or rewind when listening to Audible books, now I get a subscription error with all the Yahoo! content I loaded.

I erased all of the music and re-transferred all the tracks, no joy. I can play them on the Yahoo! client, and other Windows Mobile devices, even my Palm Centro with Pocket Tunes, but not the Pilot. No matter what I do, I keep getting licensing error. The transfer mode is in "automatic" and Yahoo! sees it as a MTP device.

The Pilot is supposed to be Playsforsure/Microsoft DRM capable, but it sure is not working here.

Any input?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Don't know - try exchanging it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
I've had it for 8 hours, transfered subscription content from Yahoo! Music Unlimited and Audible. First I discovered that I cannot fast forward or rewind when listening to Audible books, now I get a subscription error with all the Yahoo! content I loaded.

I erased all of the music and re-transferred all the tracks, no joy. I can play them on the Yahoo! client, and other Windows Mobile devices, even my Palm Centro with Pocket Tunes, but not the Pilot. No matter what I do, I keep getting licensing error. The transfer mode is in "automatic" and Yahoo! sees it as a MTP device.

The Pilot is supposed to be Playsforsure/Microsoft DRM capable, but it sure is not working here.

Any input?
I listen to a lot of Audible content. I can fast forward, skip chapters and bookmark. Are you suing Windows Media Player to manage your Audible content? If so, I had minor issues with it. I'm now using Audible Desktop Manager with no issues. Not sure if it will make a difference but is your Audible content in main memory or on an sd card?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 AM

Still, I'm curious why, a Playsforsure and DRM capable device is having such problems with licensing. I was content following the licensing regiment, but it's all becoming too much trouble.

Carbon: Please see my reply in the other thread. The FF & RW on Audible content thing is solved, thanks to you. My Audible content is on the device and I use Audible Desktop Manager. I wasn't sure that WMP can properly transfer the content from the computer to the device, so I didn't even try.

---

I also noticed that under Settings>Information>3/3,

Account information is not filled, in, and the dates are stuck at 1/1/1970. I don't know if this page is only used for Rhapsody. Clearly, Yahoo! Music Unlimited and Rhapsody are competitors, but DRM is a standard, I hope Insigina did not somehow "tweak" the device to not work properly with Yahoo!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

DRM removal is illegal hence not tolerated on this forum

Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
DRM removal is illegal hence not tolerated on this forum
Sorry about that. My purpose is simply to get the device working. Operating within the allowable DRM limit is fine by me.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:44 PM

Can you give the specific error message? Did you re-license the content? Yahoo handles their device count in a unique way and hence sometimes you run out of licenses and need to relicense all the tracks you transferred to your PC. We did test with Napster/Yahoo/Rhap/BBDMS.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
Can you give the specific error message? Did you re-license the content? Yahoo handles their device count in a unique way and hence sometimes you run out of licenses and need to relicense all the tracks you transferred to your PC. We did test with Napster/Yahoo/Rhap/BBDMS.
Thanks for your response. I hope you can help me resolve the issue.

I bought the device yesterday morning. With Yahoo! Music Unlimited To Go, I freshly downloaded tracks, transfered them to the Pilot, and listened to music for a few hours throughout the day. In the evening, I started getting a "Sync Notice (letters in orange), To continue listening to your subscription tracks, please sync your device. (letters in black). The message will flash on for a few seconds on any DRM tracks every time I try to play.

I have had success with many other devices and never run into this problem. I synced in MTP mode with the Yahoo! Music client several times, no joy. I deleted all the tracks on the device, relicensed all the tracks, and re-transferred the tracks, still no nice. I've even tried to transfer the content using WMP11, still nothing. I have not been able to get it to work since...

Please help!

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 AM

I deleted the content from the device, relicensed the tracks, recopied them, same problem. I deleted them again from the device, and this time copied the tracks to the SD card, same problem.

Aside from the device working for a few hours immediately after I bought it and transferred the tracks for the first time, I have not been able to listen to DRM content.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 PM

I just tried to install Yahoo crapware, and oh man... what a pig rotten program!
All I can really say about that malware is it makes the WMP feel powerful and flexable.
I can't believe I just type that...

So what has Yahoo! Music support told you to try? It is their program after all...

Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobs View Post
I just tried to install Yahoo crapware, and oh man... what a pig rotten program!
All I can really say about that malware is it makes the WMP feel powerful and flexable.
I can't believe I just type that...

So what has Yahoo! Music support told you to try? It is their program after all...
YM is not the problem, although I agree that it has many of its own issues. YM works with every other DRM capable devices I have, and I have many.

Best Buy MP3 support is truly worthless and frustrating.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:26 PM

What version of Yahoo music are you using?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
What version of Yahoo music are you using?
I am using the latest available from Yahoo!. Verson 2.2.056, released on 3-Oct-2007, at 1:51:24 PM. As I indicated before, this is not an issue with YM client. It works fine with other devices.

I've tried this on XP, Vista 32, Vista 64, all with the same results.

Oh yea, I also removed the battery yesterday in hoping for some sort of reset. No joy.

---

Continuing from "Pilot freezing"...

After the reset and erase memory procedures, I re-transferred the tracks (I had to manually delete the previously paired BT devices, they were not removed during the reset-Why?) They are playing okay for now. It seems that something got correupted inside the player. I never disconnected the device during transfer. I conducted every procedure carefully. Why was there such problem and/or corruption? Should I exchange this unit with another? I'd hate to see this happen again.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 PM

I am not sure, give it a few days and see if it happens again. I wanted to know the version, just to make sure I can reproduce at my end, I hate testing things with all the wrong stuff.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 AM

Another question: In the Settings>Information page, it still shows 1/1/1970 for both "Renewed" and "Expires" and the User ID remains blank. Why is this? Are these fields for Rhapsody only? How can I find out when I need to sync on the device?

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM

Yes, this only works with Rhapsody/Best Buy Digital Music service. For other P4S subscription services the device will display a message and a short chirp between songs when you are within a few days of needing to renew your licenses on the player.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Thanks for that. Is there a true hard reset for the device (delete all files, restore to factory, including clock, paired BT devices, etc.)?