android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 11-29-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Album formerly recognised, now not (but seen in playlist!)

Anyone else experience this very weird problem?
I transferred an album which had previously been on my ZVM, but moved to make space for other music (yes, I have a large music collection!), then some time later wanted to put the album back on, as I had the rest of the band's music now on the player. I transferred it with Windows Explorer, as I always do, and watched it going over.
However, when I then disconnected the player and looked for the album, it wasn't there!
I tried relabelling the album folder on my PC, transferred again, still no dice. So I fired up Media Explorer and lo and behold! There is was!
Now, I was able to include it on a playlist of this band's albums, using the ME, but the ZVM itself still did not see it. Nevertheless, when I accessed the playlist on the ZVM, all the tracks were there!
Is it possible the album may somehow have lost its ID3 tag information? I noticed that when it's playing off the playlist, instead of saying "Arena --- Bedlam Fayre --- Pepper's Ghost" (being, in order, Artiste, Track, Album) it just says "Bedlam Fayre", the track name. Could that be down to ID3 tagging? It used to find it as Artiste and Album when it was on the player before, and since I removed it all I've done is put it on a DVD, from which I re-copied it.
Would it have anything to do with using Media Explorer? Possible that Windows Explorer ain't reading the information properly from the ID3 tag?
It's running now off the playlist, but if I try to look for the actual album it doesn't show up.
Any ideas?
Also, how do you access tracks that are not assigned to an album, ie ones that just go onto the player under track name?
Thanx for any input!
Troll

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like your album has no ID3 tags at all. The ZVM will work with files lacking ID3 tags, but will only display them in the "All Tracks" list.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 PM

Thx for that ZenChick. Weird though that it (the player) recognised the album previously, and now it doesn't...
Do you know how I check for ID3 tags?
Thx for your reply.
TH

Old 11-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That depends on what software you use to manage your music library. Most library managers have tag-editing features. If you're not using any particular software, or if the software you're using lacks editing features, then try MP3Tag or MP3 Tag Tools.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:32 PM

Hi ZenChick!
I've just checked the album using Creative's Mediasource 5, looked at the tag information and it's all there. Does that sound right, or is MS just giving me what it can read, and that this may not necessarily be what the player is reading?
What I did, FTR, is selected a track, clicked on Properties and looked at the tag information, which is all there, as far as I can see.
Should I be doing anything else? I don't normally bother with tags, as they're usually on the files anyway, and if not I connect to CDDB and get it from there.
Thx for your help!
Troll

Old 12-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmmm....

I'm wondering if MediaSource is looking at the ID3v1 tags... Of course, the ZVM would read these as well if there are no v2 tags...

About all I can suggest is to use one of the two tools I mentioned and see what the tags look like in there, and re-edit if necessary.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 PM

Thanx again, and sorry for what is probably a stupid question, but I'm not up to speed on tags, as I mentioned: what's the difference between v1 and v2 tags, and how do I tell which I'm looking at?
Thx
TH

Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Maybe this will help.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Smile

Hi again ZC.
It didn't, as it happened, but thanks anyway. However I managed to get it sorted.
I deleted the album from the ZEN via Creative ME, then re-transferred it, again using ME, and this time it shows up as a full album with all tags intact, as far as I can see.
No idea what happened previously, but at least it's ok now.
Thx again for all your help!
Incidentally, not that it particularly matters now, but another weird thing that was happening with the tracks was that when they were playing, the "duration meter"?, you know, the progress bar that tells you how long the song is, how much has played and how much is left, counted up on the left, ie the amount of the song played, but not down on the right, and the progress bar didn't work at all.
Weird huh?
Oh well. Thanx again!
TH

Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Strange. I've encountered some weird issues with Media Explorer before, and I ultimately switched to WMP11.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:56 PM

I have also have had that issue that the file doesn't appear to be transfered with Media Explorer, and the bogus length in some files, specially it happens when I am transfering single MP3 files, sometimes with the tags not really correct or with missing fields, next time you try it might work. I mostly have albums, and they are tagged alright, with V1 and V2 and I don't have trouble with those.

I use WMP 11 now too.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 PM

hey, don't mean to crash your thread but i had a similar query regarding the filing system on my vision m

basically i'm an pretty messy, disorganised person...but now i'm gradually filling up my 30gb, i'm trying to keep stuff in order! but sometimes how things are organised on my vision frustrates me

say I put an album on by a particular artist, but there are some guest stars on said album. when i click through the ''artists'' option, rather than coming up with 1 artist for that album, it'll give me several!

i guess it's not really the zen's fault; more windows media player when it ripped the cd in the first... it has to be so damn exact, that it name checks everyone on the album

ok one example i have is the King Geedorah album, Take Me To Your leader....which features a few guest stars...say i'm browsing through the artists tab, thinking of what to put on and i come across this... for the same album, it has 4 different artists in the list... and if i click on one (say, King Geedorah) it'll only list the songs with just that artist; not good if i want to listen to the whole album.... I know I can just go through the albums tab and select 'Take me to your leader', but sometimes my mind doesnt work like that, ya know

is there anyway I could keep it like this (for the sake of simplicity) but have 'King Geedorah' work as some kind of shortcut, so when I click on it, it'll take me to every track featuring him, including those that arent solo?

i was also going to ask if there were programs around that allowed me to edit several ID tags at once (as some music I download has slightly differing info, putting my mp3s all over the place) but it looks like a couple have been posted above. can i edit the info of mp3s that are already on the zen vision m?

hope this made some semblence of sense