android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative

Old 11-30-2007, 11:05 AM

Default What is Your Dream Zen? (What's next for Creative?)

Hi Guys

what's the wish list for the next zen player? I'm concerned that Creative are now well behind in the mediaplayer race. Before, I could always be content with knowing that while Zen's weren't as popular as other players they always had more features! I had a go with an Ipod Touch and i have to say its was very impressive. The latest ZEN just doesn't have the wow factor!! So what's your thoughts?

I'd be looking at:

New UI (yes i know the Creative one was the original but it could do with an overhaul! - the tweaked UI on the ZEN is nice but not massively different)
Touch Screen would be nice
Wi Fi with Internet browser
GPS
Stereo Bluetooth (so i can pair it with my car!)
at least 32gb of solidstate memory (i hear the ZEN will soon be shipping with 32gb so it can be done)
Solid construction - can we move away from the black plastic!! I had a Zen Micro before and that was very well built - i have a Zen V+ now and its very plasticy

The other thing would be a big launch and clever advertising... There is virtually no marketing presence in the UK, haven't seen much in Europe or the US either.

Just some thoughts...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice idea! It'd be interesting to read what everyone's Dream Zen would be like!

*stickied*

Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Default 32gb has arrived

Well its true that Zen are shipping a 32gb version.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/03/c...irms-32gb-zen/

Old 12-05-2007, 01:50 PM

trying to stay realistic here:

current zen (16 gig is fine) with brushed aluminium construction, glass screen, longer battery life, better quality and more powerfull amp, video out and 2 INTEGRATED SDHC slots.

think that would be I would happily pay a big premium for something like that.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Creative ZVM with the thickness of the zune, or even ipod classic. Hard Drive size and battery life to their highest potential for that size. Red lights instead of blue just for a change. A brushed aluminum face. That would look sick. And to finish it off, a slightly larger screen and an improved interface.

None of the limits of the other brands, all of the freedom of Creative. Better looking and feeling design than the ZVM.

I'm getting a ZVM for Christmas so I'll have to wait a couple years for my next DAP.

WiFi and all the other stuff really doesn't mean anything to me. I want a DAP, not a pocket pc.

Last edited by bluesman; 08-16-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:29 PM

The ZVM is perfect for me. However i think that it would be really good if creative started making thier MP3's out of some sort of metal like aluminum, i think this is now necessary as this has been the deciding factor for people i have been trying to persuade to get a creative over an ipod. Has anyone here held and used the new nano, the build is, i have to say brilliant.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:38 AM

For an upgrade from the Zen Vision M, I would love to see a player with:

32Gig or more flash memory, and a DAB radio.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:25 PM

A must is that it be MSC/UMS compliant. It simply must be drag and drop integration with multiple computers to appeal to me. I want to put a CD on the player at home, then bring my Zen to work and drag and drop that same CD onto my computer at work. That is my number one desire in a new Zen.
That is my dream feature numbers 1-10.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 AM

A better UI, Bluetooth audio pairing and to be able to put the feat. artists in the same artist that feats it.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:21 AM

So apparently a new Zen is landing in march? Why are there no sneaky peeks/details out yet? With the IPhone there was months of hype prior to it actually landing - a lot of which probably helped bump up those sales.

It seems Creative have absolutely no clue recently - missing previewing something interesting at CES 08, flooding the market with more samey lower end products (especially after they apparently 'streamlined' there product range last year - discontinuing the neeon, sleek, vision and vision m). This is the company that virtually invented digital playback technology with Soundblaster in the 90s, and they've missed the boat time after time (a lot down to nil marketing and not-so esthetically pleasing products - lets face it, thats why ipod leaped ahead!!).

So come on Creative get your house in order and let see something interesting - or else your going to fall of the map all together this year!

Rant over... lol

Old 02-24-2008, 01:29 AM

i wouldnt want a zen with web browsing, unless it had either touch screen or qwerty keypad. which i doubt will happen, well maybe touch. but if it will be touch, then itll be more expensive, and i wouldnt want that either.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 PM

I would like to see something like the Ipod touch

Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 AM

-Handles files like the ZVM did
-16m screen at atleast 3 inches
-Reads texts or pdf (optional)
-Faster Ui (the zen ui is nice, but I would prefer it to be a bit more faster)
-Properly intergrated SDHC slot
-Durable
-Portable
-Sexy like the iPod
-Cleans my bathroom
-Takes the laundry

Yeah, thats about it.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:36 PM

I want it to be exactly like the zvm only with flash memory and less bulk.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 PM

I want at least a 3inch screen

Bluetooth support that is A2DP

Wireless capability so I can use msn and opera

Support more variety of formats so I don't need to convert

Support microsd card

Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Support more variety of formats so I don't need to convert
.... at higher resolutions.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-26-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:39 PM

The first 40g + flash player, 3" screen, same form factor as the Zen only larger. Ditch the SD slot if you won't integrate it or at least give it some functions like bookmarking so that you could fill it with podcasts. Enough with the new lines, make players like the ZVM, Zen V, ZVW, or Vision just generation 2 name recognition is cheap, easy, and sells players. The Zen Vision M is the best player I've ever owned and if they came out with a 2nd gen with better form factor and screen I know i would have waited in line. Heck I went to 4 Best Buys to get my first one.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM

Minimum 64GB flash storage.
Widescreen display with a minimum 480 x 272 resolution.
Dual SDHC slots with full integration.
TV Out.
Remote control interface.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 AM

This is an old thread, but I'll add my 2 pennies for an updated Zen product line:

Memory options: 64GB and 128GB flash or SSD
SDHC card: either integrate it better or get rid of it and reduce the thickness of the unit. I'd prefer it be integrated.
FM tuner: dump it and give us a line input instead.
Improved headphone output: It has trouble driving my car stereo.
Organizer functions: dump 'em, they're useless
Firmware: Fix it, please, or just rewrite it from scratch with a better software team. It's unstable when doing large file operations, which will only get worse with more memory. Fix the random shuffle. Fix the "Greatest Hits" bug. Fix the more or less random picking up of album art.
Desktop software: Give us tools to customize our GUI via a desktop interface -- or an SDK for independent developers to do so. #1 wish: customize MP3 tag mapping to existing menus, for example "Artist" vs. "Album Artist."
Buttons: Give us a tiny bump on the center button, like the "5" on a numeric keypad or adding machine. This would help with in the car, in the dark, in your pocket and other blind operation.
Earbuds: Save yourself $2 and don't ship them with the crappy pair. Or ship it with a sample screen protector instead and get yourself some recurring accessory sales.
User replaceable bettery: it doesn't need to be easy to get to, but savvy users and tech shops should be able to replace the built-in battery when it starts to fail.
Price tag: Under $500 for the 128GB model

Things to keep:
The form factor is great. The size is a perfect balance between useable screen size without attempting to be a portable movie player (a different product) -- although a bit thinner would be welcome. Consider an aluminum shell if you can successfully keep it's smooth profile, but I'm fine with the minimalist plastic black. (If you make the screen bigger, you need to move the hardware buttons to one of the sides OR have a mighty good touch screen with hand gesture shortcuts. But I hate touch screens and this is my wish list, so...)

Don't add web browsing and forget the chat -- if I wanted that, I'd put MP3s on my blackberry. Stick with what you know: playing media files really well.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Great post Nicole! You've listed some great feedback/ideas. I like just about everything you've listed except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
FM tuner: dump it and give us a line input instead.
I like the FM tuner. Keep it and give us the line input as well... and FM recording... and video output.

Quote:
Organizer functions: dump 'em, they're useless
Hey, I actually like this feature.

Quote:
Firmware: Fix it, please, or just rewrite it from scratch with a better software team. It's unstable when doing large file operations, which will only get worse with more memory.
I have no issue transferring large amounts of data; over 30GB of audio files with no issue.

Quote:
Earbuds: Save yourself $2 and don't ship them with the crappy pair. Or ship it with a sample screen protector instead and get yourself some recurring accessory sales.
They are now with the Zen X-Fi (EP-830).

Zen FAQ