android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Bought for navigation - upset about no playlist creation

I love the ability to move through music so much on this player. I liked it so much, I bought it.

Then today, I realize, I cannot even make a playlist on it. I can't even save the "now playing" to a playlist.

I can't even remove items from now playing.

SIGH.

Anyone looking for a player? Looks like it might go up on Ebay before Christmas.

I want to like this player a lot. But, I bought it for the navigation and the bluetooth. Problem is, I can go out and get bluetooth dongles. I can't get better navigation (some of you say there is, but I prefer this players 'style').

Sandaili

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 PM

This is the next big feature for a F/W update, how do people want this to work? It is your chance to define how this will work.

Thanks

Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
This is the next big feature for a F/W update, how do people want this to work? It is your chance to define how this will work.

Thanks
Our chance to define how to create OTG playlists?

I think the easiest way would be to have a feature from the now playing screen that says Create Playlist from Now Playing.

Then add to the context menu for MP3 files, that will say add to Playlist, then it should let you browse for the playlist or create a new one

Old 12-03-2007, 02:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Thanks
Wow, very glad to hear this. Robust OTG playlist implementation would bring the Insignia line to a whole other level, IMO. I'm personally a fan of allowing OTG playlist creation to be independent of what's currently playing. For instance, I could have "Album A" playing through my headphones and, without interrupting playback, navigate through the Music menu to click on a song/album/artist/genre/playlist and activate a context menu which says "Add to playlist" -- From there, the options to add the item to (1) the Now Playing list (with "insert at end", "insert next", and "insert after previous insertion point" as options), (2) a pre-existing saved playlist, and (3) a new playlist altogether should be available. Ideally, this new playlist should be editable (i.e. allowing the user to manually rearrange the song order and delete tracks from it via context menus), save-able, and nameable all without the need to alter playback. If the song/album/artist/genre/playlist has been added to a pre-existing playlist (option #2 above), the user should be able to re-save that playlist by either overwriting the previously saved version or renaming it as a new playlist file.

Along the same lines, we should also be able to navigate to any saved playlist -- as well as the Now Playing list -- while "Album A" is playing and rearrange songs, remove songs, or add songs at will...and then save it as either the same playlist or a new one. The ability to rename and delete saved playlists on the player would be great as well.

This sort of playlisting feature set is something I've always admired about the Rio/Sigmatel line of players (a standard I know we share, digitaldel), as well as the Rockbox firmware. I would recommend investigating Rockbox's way of going about all this as you prepare your firmware, since its OTG playlist flexibility and implementation is top-of-class, IMO.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 PM

Default M3U??

Will the firmware address only OTG playlists? Because, as nice as that may be, who wants to fumble with their player to create a big playlist? If I could just easily copy an M3U over in MSC mode I would be happy. I have been able to create M3U playlists that work (though not containing files on internal as well as external storage), the performance hit isn't worth it. Does it parse the entire file and find every file?? I created two playlists with 215 and 314 songs. Seemed like it took forever after I unplugged from sync, so I created another with 102 songs. After unplugging from MSC sync it took (and I timed this) 9 minutes 30 seconds to get past the scanning media screen!! I turned it off and back on, 12 seconds. I synced again and did nothing - only 15 seconds. I synced again and deleted all playlists - 12 seconds. The nearly 10 minutes is unacceptable!!

I did also notice that the MTP generated .pla playlists (with Explorer, right click on a folder, create playlist) are more useful that I thought... you can add files to them (drag and drop on the References tab in Properties), which is helpful. Too bad Explorer crashes on adding certain songs on my player.

Overall, playlists seem like album art... workable via MTP though not a great experience (due to software) and problematic via MSC. I'd rather use MSC and prefer to manage my music using Explorer or even, say Nautilus (in Gnome), so if I can just copy some files and it works, great.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Huh. I didn't realize M3U playlisting was still a problem with the newer generation of Insignia players (it's hopelessly broken on the NS-DVxG). Obviously this should be fixed as well...

I'm with mattschuette in greatly preferring MSC mode to MTP, and MSC compatibility seems to be a consistent weak spot for these players. One would hope that this remains a primary concern for the developers as they continue to update their firmware.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:02 AM

Perhaps when on the screen with the Now Playing List, you could press the rating button. The quick-list thing would come up, and one of the options would be "Save as Playlist".
I wouldnt care whether you can name the playlist it or not...but i guess being able to name it would be nice.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Okay, how it would work

Quote:

Thanks

Well....I am assuming that you know how other players do it or have access to a player that does? I have never had a player that does - that's why i bought this... I assumed it did. Because the navigation is really good on it....but I didn't think to try it out in the store for playlist. I just saw playlist and assumed.

I guess - the thing about making new features and esp. this feature in particular is that the player already has so many buttons that do NOTHING when pressed in certain menus.

I'll just go through and pretend I'm going to try to make one....

I turn on the player. I guess, I'll turn this post into a "what I thought I should be able to do" thread.

One thing - I think the "Play All" is kinda useless as the first area when you go to the Music Library. But that's just me....maybe switch that with the position of the Playlist tab.

Before I get to the playlist - here's an issue. When I press up and see the list of files that are Now Playing, I should

1. Be able to save the Now Playing to a Playlist file.
2. Be able to remove songs from the Now Playing, so that I could theoretically listen to all songs, and whittle out the ones I don't like.
3. The STAR feature - could be implemented in creating playlists, too, if one wanted to make a playlist of only 5 star music, etc. Leave out the ones, whatever. Play all music with 3 and above, something like that with choices.
4. While looking at the now playing list - we should be able to have a context menu that lets us select a song, then delete it, rate it, and move to another playlist. The delete will ask "delete from player, or delete from playlist" in this mode. That way someone doesn't have to go into File mode to delete a file. Yes it will be annoying to have to choose. Maybe someone else has a better way of doing it. I like it right there to ask both.; other items in the context menu would be load a playlist, reorder list (if selected the user can now move up and down the list, grab (this highlights the file) and move it up or down with scroll wheel, and click to release when the file is in the position needed.

All you would have to do is remap the context button when in the now playing playlist, so after pressing UP from now playing to see what is in the list, instead of the context button taking you back to the "now playing" screen....it would bring up a context menu. OR you could remap the up button for that. It doesn't matter. We don't need two of the buttons to do the same thing. For that matter, the down button is also free (just brings you back to the now playing screen too) but I would rather have the context button be the button that does it since it's sturdier and less stress on the wheel.

5. The other thing is that we need to also have in the context menu a search. This would bring up 0-9 and A-Z that we could use the scroll wheel to select and that would drop us down in the list to what we selected. Useful for folders but also playlists.

6. In the same context menu - there should be a "go to folder" option (handy for those of us who have folders) and a Go to Media Library (which would bring it to where it is in the Media Library).

Just my wishes.

Sandaili

Old 12-04-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaili View Post
<a whole bunch of feature requests />
Most if not all of these have been mentioned over in the official feature request thread. I do see at least one post there from you... if you haven't already, vote on the already requested features (see page 1 for details) so that the developers can have a more succinct picture of how popular the requests are. I'm not complaining, I just hope to help the developers out as much as possible. Thanks.

Matt

Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 AM

Red face Voting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschuette View Post
Most if not all of these have been mentioned over in the official feature request thread. I do see at least one post there from you... if you haven't already, vote on the already requested features (see page 1 for details) so that the developers can have a more succinct picture of how popular the requests are. I'm not complaining, I just hope to help the developers out as much as possible. Thanks.

Matt
I already did yesterday or the day before. The only reason why i wrote what I did above was because Digitadel (?) asked how it should work... Of course that's just my "wish" for how it should work. Should I add the post above to my vote/feature page in the main thread?

Sandaili

Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaili View Post
Should I add the post above to my vote/feature page in the main thread?
I'm not a moderator or anything... so this is just my opinion. It would make it a little easier for other people to see that as a feature request and your proposed behavior if it was in the feature request thread. Then it could eventually get a number in the list and people could vote on it. I'd just say link to this thread for some context.