android
Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 AM

Thumb Down Battery life not as advertised

I have experience issues with my battery. It is the first time that I have counted the hours of music that a full charge gives me and I have calculated about 18-20hrs.

There must be something wrong going on. Could I have forgoten to fully charge my battery the first time that I got my walkman?

Info:

DSEE activated
Nothing else, only shuffle and sometimes I wonder around with my pics.
Rarely radio (15min maximum)

I am heading to Florida for Christmas so I could claim warranty if I need to.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 AM
General Audio Moderator

are you using any of the EQ settings or bass boost? 18-20 hours seems ok if you are using the EQ, turning the lcd on once in a while and it also depends what kind of headphones you are using and what volume you use them at given impedance...

Bass boost on this unit uses DSP and requitres a bit of processing since it also uses a limiter function on the dsp to alleviate distortion... EQ I believe is done in hardware... but if DSP driven then uses some additional power

Old 12-02-2007, 01:26 PM

First question should actually be what quality of mp3s are you using? 128? 192 or 320? or wma etc. Since that will have the first impact on the players battery life.

Next, as yuki mentions above, those would also alter battery life length.

If you want to extend battery life, I would recommend setting screensaver to blank and after 15 seconds. Turn of the beep as well. Also in music settings turn off the new song pop up.

This should extend your battery life. I've noticed myself though that the battery life in the 818 is quite impressive, with standby mode being the best I've seen. the battery life was 100% after one week of just laying around.

For example I used the mp3 player on the 17th and 20th of November for about a total of 8 hours for those 2 days. Battery was still full after I put it away. Picked it up this past saturday for a quick trip and again listened to it for another 3 hours and battery was still at 100% once I finished. I just checked it and it's at 75% now. This is after 2 weeks of no extra charging. The player has the settings as mentioned above and all my mp3s are encoded to 320 kbps. So this should give you an idea of how good sony batteries are, even at 320 they last quite a nice chunk of time.

I plan on doing a battery test sometime during the week, just need to load more than 30 hours of music.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 AM

I am not using EQ. I like the flat sound it has, I very rarely use clean bass.
My songs are 128Kbs, before I used them mixed up to 320 so this doesn´t affects much.

I usually use my AKG K81DJ headphones with my walkman. If I am not mistaken these have a high impedance..

No beep sound ( it is annoying)
No screensaver
Screen shut down after 15sec

My average listen volumen level is around 13-19

Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 PM

The battery metre must be inacurate because my battery lasted for about 28 hours before running out.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Unhappy NWZ-A818 Battery goes 12-15 hours

I have had my NWZ-A818 since Jan this year, and the battery life is progressively shortenning. Currently, I get an average of 12-15 hours before the battery dies completely.

All my tracks are 192 bit MP3. I have tried with the various enhancements turned on and off (clear bass, EQ, etc), but that only seems to affect the overall time by about an hour or two. I have the blank screen saver, no popups, never actually used it for video or photo play...

Any thoughts? I haven't really seen any information on how much the format and the enhancements should affect battery performance. I did read somewhere though that the 33 hour battery like is based on a 96 bit MP3, or an ATRAC file...can't remember exactly what it was, but in any case, nothing to say that if you have 128 bit MP#, batt life goes down x%, and if you have 192, batt life goes down another x+5%, and if you use clear bass, it goes down 10% and the EQ takes an additional 5% or somthing like that....curently in my case, I am getting almost 35-40% of the advertised battery life...

Any ideas?

Sep 1st, 2008:
Since this post, I received a response from Sony support. The message stated that the 'behvior is normal' (no indication why the official spec is more than twice this 'normal' battery life!!), and that I should either 'try a different brand of batteries and make sure they are not corroded' (the battery is not user replaceable!!) and make sure the G sensor is turned off (this model does not have a G Sensor!!) - so to sum it up, they didn't even bother to check which model the enquiry was for....so much for tech support

Last edited by A_Man; 09-01-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Contacted Sony support - useless!!