android
Old 09-06-2006, 11:58 AM

Default iaudio x5l questions

ok, i just got an iaudio x5l yesterday on the advice of some guys here, and its pretty great (best bass i've heard in an mp3 player), but with the machbass at max, and the first bar of the equalizer at max (i.e bass possible)theres a clicking sound in the left headphone (the stock ones) at volumes higher than 21. its fine below this though

is this just a problem with the stock headphones or the player itself?

also, some files dont play properly, i had a stadium arcadium disc 2 ripped as a lossless wma file, and instead of playing it just cycles through the songs on the album and either plays the next album, or just freezes, does the i audio actually play lossless files?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 PM

Congrats on your purchase - you won't regret it.

The Cresyn stock earphones are pretty bad, you should consider upgrading to some that are worthy of the X5's great audio quality, eg. the Sennheiser CX300. I use my X5 with M3B at 8-10 and the 60Hz EQ at +6dB - no distortions at all with my UE Super.Fi 5's.

The X5 doesn't play WMA lossless (no hardware player does, IIRC), but the much better open-source FLAC lossless codec (better because FLAC needs less processing power for decoding than WMAL, thus saving the battery - and it encodes faster, too).

Here's a comparison of all available lossless codecs, maybe it's of interest to you. WMAL pales in comparison to FLAC.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:54 PM

yeah, i was thinking of checking them out, couple of questions before i do though...

i like the bass at 60hz to be max (12), and machbass at 10

do you know if the seinheizer are able to handle this bass, are do they give a clicking sound too at these settings at volumes past 20 or so?

still much better than the creative zen microphoto i had before though

Old 09-06-2006, 02:03 PM

You won't need those ultra-extreme settings if you use higher quality earphones, I'm pretty sure about that. And yes, the Sennheiser are able to handle this kind of bass. They're IEMs (in ear monitors) and work different, compared to those crappy Cresyn earbuds. They seal your ear canal and let the bass expand much better than any open-type earphones. And since they also seal you from outside noise, you won't have to listen at a too high volume...

You seem to be a total basshead, like me - I'd recommend you take a look at the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EB (link is in my sig) - they're the bassiest earphones on this planet, their sound is amazing. They're around $200, but they're worth every penny. But the $40 Sennheisers are very good, too.

(Do you play a Fender P or J, by any chance? ... Assuming this from your nick...)

Old 09-06-2006, 02:11 PM

hehe!

sounds nice, but i just shelled out 320 euro on the player, no way i can afford E200 headphones

they have some of those seinheiser headphones for 26 euro at www.iaccessories.ie so i might give them a shot

the red hot chili peppers just demands good bass, and i just cant deny them..

thanks for the responses!

whats a j or p fender?

i play a fender strat guitar, hence the name, though i have yet to master a fender!

Old 09-06-2006, 02:13 PM

You're welcome.

That link is broken... make sure it's the CX300, not any of the MX series (300,400,500) - they're the same open-type stuff as the stock earbuds!

///

I meant Fender Precision or Jazz bass - thought you oughta play the bass, with those sound preferences.

Myself, I'm a Steinberger-bass kinda guy.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:21 PM

good taste, never played one, but i hear they're good my bassist friends dont like fender bass guitars either, i hear theyre really just guitars turned into bass's rather than dedicated bass guitars from the ground up

heres the headphones, they're mx 500's, so i better keep looking

http://www.iaccessorise.ie/headphone...ite-headphone/

Old 09-06-2006, 02:26 PM

Wow, and they're completely overpriced, too - you can get MX500 for less than 15 Euros nowadays....

Here's the CX300: http://www.iaccessorise.ie/headphone...al-headphones/ - the 50 Euro price is not that bad...