android
Old 12-15-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Won't Boot- Hardware Problem?

Four days ago, when i turned on my zen (30 gig ), it wouldn't go past the boot screen, all i got was a blank screen, and nothing happened. However, about ten minutes later, it seemed to have started up just fine. However, yesterday, the same thing happened again, only it didn't fix itself. I tried reading other posts on this forum for help, but none of them seemed to exactly fit my circumstances.
most of them seemed to say that a bad hard drive was the problem, but i'm not sure if thats happening here. I can hear the HD spinning up when i turn it on (though it stops when it gets to the blank screen). Also, I read that if the hard drive is bad, doing the disk cleanup or formatting might take a while or not work. When i did them, however, the cleanup was pretty quick, and the formatting (after i had tried everything else) took about 5 seconds, and all the hard drive space was recognized. Also, it won't charge by usb (though charging from the wall plug still works) and my computer won't recognize it, so i can't try reinstalling the firmware
Does this mean it could be something wrong with the main board? My zen is out of warranty, and while i think i could replace a broken hard drive, i dont think my skill extends any farther than that. I would be so grateful for any advice.
Thanks for reading my overly long post too...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried plugging it into another PC, jonfiredaman02? If you manage to get it recognized by other computer, you will be able to try reloading the firmware.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Based on everything in that problem description, I'd have to go along with the "bad hard drive" diagnosis, but it seems to be more of an elecronic failure than a physical failure - that is, the interface is getting hung up.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM

Well, thanks for all the help, but as i was trying get a different pc to recognize it, it just totally died. the screen flashed a bunch, went white, and i couldn't reset it, or even get it to charge or get the blue light on or anything. So i opened it up, and saw the problem- one of the chips somehow separated from the board, i don't know how, but there was no way i could have fixed it.
thanks anyway though.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ugh! What a horrible way to go!

*bows head in silent reverence*

Rest in Peace.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Still puzzling as to why a chip came off, unless it was dropped or something got a bit too hot, was it dropped at all?
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
Still puzzling as to why a chip came off, unless it was dropped or something got a bit too hot, was it dropped at all?
sounds more like heat than shock, it would take a pretty hard collision to knock a chip off the board, but heat could warp one or the other pretty easily

Old 12-17-2007, 04:15 PM

yeah, it wasn't completely off, but the solder points were broken or craked or something along a whole side of the chip. I had dropped it a few times but not recently.

and thanks for the condolences, i guess my zen is in creative heaven now...