android
Old 12-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Default I need help choosing between the 618 and the 818 models

I can't fully decide between these two models. My primary use for this player will be mp3s. I don't care about watching videos or looking at pictures on it, so the slightly smaller screen on the 618 doesn't bother me. I was siding with the 818 due to the nice headphones, but would it be wiser for me to just buy the 618 and a pair of mylarone x3i instead of the 818? The fm radio would be a nice addition when I am at the gym due to picking up on television frequencies.

Most styles of music I listen to are: "indie" rock/pop, brit pop, singer/songwriters, film scores, classical, and trip hop. I'm not a fan of hard rock. Would the x3i's suit me more than the headphones that come with the 818?

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

If video is not you main concern I suggest the 618. The reason is most headphones that come equipped with players are crappy from the start so it's best to choose your own.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 PM

I agree. The headphones with the 818 are nice but I am not sure how they compare to the mylarone x3i.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 PM

If there is a Sony store near you, I recommend going to check out both of them in person. I think it's mostly a look-and-feel preference.

I like them both but I bought the A818. Mostly because I prefer the look and feel of it, and the slightly larger screen, and the layout of the controls works well for me. (On the S618, I kept hitting the play/pause button by accident when trying to use the up/down buttons. I'm sure I would've gotten used to it... but just a minor annoyance.) I believe the A818 is slightly thinner too. And of course it comes with nicer earphones.

However, the A818 has a slightly larger footprint, and no FM radio, and costs an extra $20 or so, but I didn't mind any of those too much compared to the advantages I mentioned.

After having the A818 a while, I noticed another advantage: all of the buttons require a pretty firm press, so I could put it in my pants pocket without needing to use the hold switch. I'm not sure I could say the same about the S618.

I'm sure I would've been happy with the S618 too though; they have pretty much the same interface, and probably the same sound I would think. If the FM radio and lower price matters more to you than the larger screen and the better earphones, then you're probably better off with the S618.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:48 AM

I'm not sure why the S610 and A810 co-exist either. They're so closely priced and the feature set is almost identical, with the exception of the FM radio (and lack thereof as far as the A810 is concerned). My guess is that the next generation will see greater divergence between both lines as far as size, features, and cost are concerned. I believe the S-series will lean toward a more active lifestyle, whereas the A-series will appeal more to those who want/need a more formal-looking device.

I picked the S615 because I wanted a more pocketable device. I appreciated the metal and chrome body of the A810, but I actually prefer the navigation pad of the S610, which has a greater surface area and can be used more easily with one's thumb. I only wish the bottom part was 1/8th of an inch longer, as the contact area for the lower-most button (arrow pointing downward) is a bit too small and too close to the bottom edge of the player. I can get used to it, though.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalaster View Post
I agree. The headphones with the 818 are nice but I am not sure how they compare to the mylarone x3i.

The Mylar One X3i's are far superior sonically, but the Sony included headphones are much better built, and sound better than any included headphone should.

I personally use CrossRoads MylarOne X3 (the much better built 1st gens), and refuse look back!

As far as choosing between the TWO Sony's...

Ask yourself:

How important is the built-in radio? If it is important, then get the 61x

The only issues I have with the 61x are that it is primarily made of (high quality) plastics, and the slightly smaller screen.

Do you really want to purchase better headphones, when for an additional US 20.00 (over the 61x) you can buy a DAP (the 81x) with truly excellent IEMs standard, not to mention outstanding build quality/materials?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dav's Sony NWZ-A818 001.jpg (58.1 KB, 9 views)

Old 01-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHQ View Post
I'm not sure why the S610 and A810 co-exist either. They're so closely priced and the feature set is almost identical, with the exception of the FM radio (and lack thereof as far as the A810 is concerned).
I agree with you. Why did Sony make 2 player models?
Why not just go with the A810 series? Is Sony trying to be like Apple and their iPod?

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 01-17-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
I agree with you. Why did Sony make 2 player models?
Why not just go with the A810 series? Is Sony trying to be like Apple and their iPod?
Huh?? Apple doesn't have this kind of redundancy in their product line.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmer View Post
Huh?? Apple doesn't have this kind of redundancy in their product line.
I mean they have the shuffle then they have the nano then they have the 60 gig, 80 gig etc etc.

1st generation, 2nd generation etc etc. I can understand the shuffle but why make the nano?

Any way I would choose the Sony 800 series. It just looks better and seems built better as well. Unless you really like the FM tuner I see no reason to get the 600 over the 800. The price difference now is $20 or less. The 800 has a larger screen.

So again I don't understand why Sony would make 2 players and then put the FM tuner in one. Just create one model and then just have different sizes which they did. 2gig, 4gig etc.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Product 'overlap' of this nature is not really that unusual in the JDM, I'm quite familiar with this type of marketing having lived in Japan for well over 10 years.

In the Japanese market, the NW-800 series would probably be targeted at a more sophisticated/mature/adult market due to its all metal design w/chrome accents, as well as the inclusion of much higher quality earspeakers, whereas the somewhat more 'toy-like'/fun NWZ-600-series would be geared towards the youth market.

With Sony's market share (in America) being somewhat minuscule in the DAP market, I'm sure they saw no harm in investigating to see if the same tactics might be effective in the U.S.

Note: Choice Is Always A Good Thing

Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM

I see your point.