android
Old 12-17-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Just got my A3

Ok troops, just got my A3.. and off the front it looks sweet.. Then I started to try to load some music and video on the player.. problem is I have drm music and video (not all, but stuff I would like to have on the A3) that I currently have and play fine on my ZVM...
I know that talking about drm material is a touchy subject... But what do I do now..??? should I just go back to Creative and get the ZVW (plays for sure) so I get the big screen but I know it will play what I have? I really wanted to give the A3 a go, but I'm already frustrated.

Also secondary, does anyone know if the A3 will do playlists?

and if your recording or outputing to a tv.. If you use s-video or component in or out how do you get audio? do you jsut hook up the video and then just go a/v in/out with just hooking up the red and white to the tv for sound with either output from player or recording (I hope that makes sense)

thanks for any help..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-18-2007, 05:15 AM

For DRM stuff you need to switch the player to MTP transfer mode. I assume the A3 is the same as all other Cowons, where you can select MSC/MTP manually from the options.

Yes, you should have to use the white/red RCA plugs for audio. The yellow RCA and the 4-pole S-Video only transfer video signals, no audio.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM

Thanks, do you know where that would be? I can't find anything on the player that changes to a mode like that.
Also, when I hook the red and white cable up for sound it only plays on the left side of the audio system.. My ZVM works fine with it's supplies a/v cable. I'll countinue to test, I'm thinking I may have a bum cable.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:20 AM

Maybe the cable's faulty, yes... you don't use the same cable for the ZVM and the A3, right? Almost every manufacturer sees the need to make their own special 4-pole plug layout, so hardly any 3.5mm plug video cables are compatible with different players.

Dunno - if you look around you should most likely find the option for changing MSC/MTP mode. The manual might help as well.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:18 PM

Thanks dfkt.. I checked with iaudio forums to see if anyone had run across this.. the smart A(*^&(*&%^ administrator was trying to be Mr. or Miss Cool and told me I should stick with the "players our media overlords say we should have.. what a prick...
Anyway couldn't find anything on the MSC/MTP but I'm still looking. I had to go to Circuit City and while there I checked the ZVW against the A3.. Wow head to head there is no comparison.. the A3 is king.. It will just take some fiddling to get playlists and alblum art on it..
I have been on this site for a while, everyone from the creative forum to this one has been great.. thanks for helping the Not so technically minded.. some from iaudio don't

Old 12-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Well unfortunetly, I'm sending the A3 back.. I couldn't get audio on the reight side of my tv or stereo.. Tried all the settings and balance.. no dice..

Cowon said they want me to send everything back Oh well.. Over all (other than the obvious) the player is solid and sound and video quality are great.. Maybe I can get an rookie review in since I'm no expert..

Has anyone else here getten the A3?? Any feedback on it.?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufanu View Post
Well unfortunetly, I'm sending the A3 back.. I couldn't get audio on the reight side of my tv or stereo.. Tried all the settings and balance.. no dice..

Cowon said they want me to send everything back Oh well.. Over all (other than the obvious) the player is solid and sound and video quality are great.. Maybe I can get an rookie review in since I'm no expert..

Has anyone else here getten the A3?? Any feedback on it.?

I’m sorry to hear that.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i'm pretty sure that you're not using the right cable, unless it was actually supplied with the unit cause like dfkt said, many cables are not compatible with more than a handful of devices. You basically have to find the pinout and find a matching cable or try a bunch to see what works...or get one that is designed for the A3

Old 12-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
i'm pretty sure that you're not using the right cable, unless it was actually supplied with the unit cause like dfkt said, many cables are not compatible with more than a handful of devices. You basically have to find the pinout and find a matching cable or try a bunch to see what works...or get one that is designed for the A3

The A3 comes with all the cables needed. Check here: http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=383

Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

oh really? damn, then yea, faulty output or faulty cable...just tell them you want a replacement instead of a refund and try you're luck again. It can be hit or miss with gadgets nowadays. I wouldn't return something for good unless i didn't like it as a device. You see to be happy with what it does, don't let a defective unit spoil it for you.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree. The player is new, and the first batches might have some QC issues. I would try a second unit.

I wish you luck with the next one.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:56 PM

Oh I'm definetly getting another player (A3).. I just hated they wouldn't send another a/v cord to see if that was the problem.. So far I'm impressed with the player. The sound and video quality are superb.. I think the interface and playlists and stuff will take a little work, but the player overall is solid.. More of you seasoned folks will breaze through it.. Oh well now I have time to get my drm music straight...

I'll do a review when I get it and play with it a while.

Pat

Old 12-20-2007, 02:14 PM

Good luck with that.

It sure can be frustrating having such issues with an expensive new piece of machinery.

If you still have the player with you, try connecting it with a standard audio cable (3.5mm plug to red/white RCA) to an amp, to check if you can at least get stereo sound out of the A3.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:29 PM

yeah, it's gone.. I was afraid to plug anything else into it... the earphone jack works fine with my earphones and in the car.. wow in the car is nothing like I have ever heard.. I have a stock set up in an 07 Avalanche and it really is amazing... Your right though I should have tried another plug but my zen played fine so it's either the player or the a/v cable... I guess I'll see in a month. I really miss it now...

Anyone else picked one up yet?

Old 01-28-2008, 04:31 PM

I noticed your comments about DRM material and using the MTP protocol in the A3 to transfer it. However, you should be aware that there is no MTP setting in the A3, just a default MSC setting, so DRM material cannot be transferred. I raised the same issue on the Cowon A3 forum ("Support for MTP?") and got blasted by one person for supporting closed systems. He actually went so far as to suggest that I should not purchase the A3.

Apart from the DRM issue, I am very happy with the A3. The screen is stunning (to borrow a description from gadgetaholic's review), and the videos and music are the best I've heard and seen. I'm very happy with the device.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for sharing with us, maclen, and congratulations for your A3. I don't have one, but I can only imagine how great it looks and sounds.

Edit: oh, and by the way, welcome to ABi!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:48 PM

Welcome to abi >> maclen Cowon ftw

Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks Almoxil and WalkGood. I'm a relative newcomer to PMPs, and I have discovered that I learn a lot from forums. Almoxil, my first purchase was a Cowon D2, with an 8gig card. It's a tremendous device (great sound and vibrant videos, excellent volume and battery life and expandable memory). The only reason that I purchased the A3 was my eyes would strain watching videos on a 2.5" diagonal screen for long periods of time. With the A3, I have no eye strain, even if I watch videos on a 8-hour plane trip.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I agree, maclen. While videos are definitely watchabe on D2's screen, any 2.5" screen is too small for long watching sessions. Nevertheless, the D2 is a great player.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
...... Nevertheless, the D2 is a great player.
Cowon ftw