android
Old 12-19-2007, 03:04 AM

Default Sony NWZA818BLK vs NWZS618FBLK - Main differences???

Hi,

I've narrowed my choices down to these 2 players after having an epiphany over my main reasons for getting an mp3 player. I ALMOST went for the 8gb iTouch (can get it for $179 right now w/ a promotion), but felt that I would probably find myself RARELY (if ever) using its large screen video or WiFi functions. I'm already buying a laptop later on, so there's no point!

Anyway...some guidance would REALLY be appreciated as to the difference in UI, sound quality, and button/touch features. Where do the two differ???

Both are listed on Amazon.com:

Sony NWZA818BLK

Sony NWZS618FBLK

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 AM

I'm in the same shoes as you (by the way, which place is selling the 8gb touch for that price?)

Differences I've seen:

618: Screen is 1.8'' instead of 2.0; fm tuner; the build quality is different

818: No fm tuner; Better earbuds; 2.0'' screen; nicer looking design (in my opinion)

Detailed reviews:

A810 Series
S610 Series

Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 AM
General Audio Moderator

Sound quality is the same on both units given you use the same headphones. IMO they are both great players. The S600 series is made out of plastic and comes with standard ear buds. The A800 series comes with in ear monitors which are among the best bundled with a player, also the player is made of metal. Both players are well built and contain an lcd with the same QVGA resolution. The S600 has a 1.8 inch lcd as the A800 has a 2inch, the smaller lcd will look sharper but not by much. Both have the same file support as well. The s600 comes with an fm tuner as the a800 does not.

my review of the S600

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21072

Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalaster View Post
I'm in the same shoes as you (by the way, which place is selling the 8gb touch for that price?)

A810 Series
S610 Series

The $100 off on the iTouch is w/ audibleready.com promotion.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:12 PM

Have a look at my post in this thread:

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23498

Oh, and regarding the iPod Touch... if the video and wi-fi don't interest you much, I'd personally go for something smaller instead (which is probably how you arrived at the Sony players, I imagine).

Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM

I decided to order the 618 and a black silicone case off of sonystyle.com. I like the 818, but I have decent headphones and plan to order some different ones I like more than the sony ones, plus the fm radio is useful in some situations. I also like the layout on the 618 more after messing with it a bit (the hold button placement and headphone jack being on top). Thanks for the help, though. They both have amazing sound quality and that's all that matters to me.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmer View Post
Have a look at my post in this thread:

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23498

Oh, and regarding the iPod Touch... if the video and wi-fi don't interest you much, I'd personally go for something smaller instead (which is probably how you arrived at the Sony players, I imagine).

Haha, ur right.

But at the same time, the Sony still has playable video. That's what bought me too. iTouch doesn't have monopoly on video/mp3 players

Old 12-19-2007, 08:49 PM

True, but personally, if I were much interested in video, I would have chosen something with a larger screen than the Sonys. The iPod Touch screen is pretty nice for video IMO. The Creative Zen would be kind of in between. But you're right; video works well on the Sonys apart from the screen size, which may or may not be an issue for you.