android
Old 12-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Why do these "8gb" players only have 7.3 gigs?

I plugged my new 618 sony walkman video into my computer and proceeded to wipe out the media that came with it, but to my surprise it still only maxes out at 7.3gb of free space. I know this is common in hard drives for pc but in flash memory too?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Read some interesting info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_...Legal_disputes

Old 12-23-2007, 11:05 AM

Well, the principle is the same for both. Most people expect gigabytes to be in powers of 1024(or powers of 2, in other words), when the ISO definition that manufacturers use is 1000. This usually generates a difference when looking at the drive through Windows.

The player's operating system also probably takes up some space.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 PM

in addition to the above post, most new computers come with part of the HDD partitioned off to hold a backup copy of the OS. expect another 10gbs taken up for that.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
in addition to the above post, most new computers come with part of the HDD partitioned off to hold a backup copy of the OS. expect another 10gbs taken up for that.
Interesting, I haven't noticed that and I face different OS's daily. From win 98to vista in my personal PC. It may be true though

Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote from link:

"Vroegh claimed that a 256 MB Flash Memory Device had only 244 MB of accessible memory. "Plaintiffs allege that Defendants marketed the memory capacity of their products by assuming that one megabyte equals one million bytes and one gigabyte equals one billion bytes." The plaintiffs wanted to use the binary values 220 for megabyte and 230 for gigabyte. The plaintiffs acknowledged that the IEC and IEEE standards define a MB as one million bytes but stated that the industry has largely ignored the IEC standards. [52]
The manufacturers agreed to clarify the flash memory card capacity on the packaging and web sites.[1] The consumers could apply for "a discount of ten percent off a future online purchase from Defendants' Online Stores Flash Memory Device".[53] The law firms Gutride Safier, LLP and Milberg Weiss received $2.4 million."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.4million dollars because it was 244 not 156? Give me a break.