android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman S Series

Old 12-27-2007, 11:17 PM

Lightbulb What would you like in the next FW version?

I personally would like the photo interface to be improved - zoom would be really nice, and improved format support. A .txt viewer is really not rocket science, and would make the device useful for ebooks, game walkthroughs et cetera. Visualizations would also be a nice touch, and an option to change the sleep timer in addition to the screensaver, and (S610 only) an option to clear all the preset stations so when you select 'Auto preset', you don't have to delete the thirty presets manually. These would make this an absolute killer device.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2007, 06:43 AM

On the go playlisting and some podcast functionality. Other than that the player pretty much does what I'd like it to do.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 PM

I wish it would be quicker to get to the 'Now Playing' screen no matter what menu you are in. It's possible to hold down the option menu when at the home screen, and select 'Now Playing' without having to aim the arrows to the icon at the bottom right. I think you should be able to hold one button and get back to find out what is playing. I get sick of hitting back, or holding the button to get home, then navigating to the Now Playing button. At the very least, the button should be directly adjacent to the centered Music Library button to minimize button clicking.

Besides navigation, I would love bookmarking, and of course on the go playlisting.

Hopefully a new FW version will be released before April, when I begin a huge backpacking trip, and no access to the internet.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:06 AM

Actually, there's a slightly easier way. No matter where you are, you can press the option button and the first choice is to jump immediately to the "Now Playing" screen. It takes two presses but it's much better than what you described!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:29 AM

Yeah, just press option then play. You don't even have to look at the player.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 AM

Good point about it being easy to get there from any screen. I guess I just need to get used to it. Although I still believe it should be one button press away. Perhaps thats just being absurd.

It would also be nice to eliminate a lot of the information at the bottom of the 'now playing' screen if desired. Instead of being able to click on the artist, album, year, or genre, I'd like a more streamlined screen where there is nothing but art, title, and track length...nothing more. If you want more info, then you add it.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 AM

You can activate album art only if you want. Personally, I like the information because you can go down and select it and browse from that point.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable View Post
I personally would like the photo interface to be improved - zoom would be really nice, and improved format support. A .txt viewer is really not rocket science, and would make the device useful for ebooks, game walkthroughs et cetera. Visualizations would also be a nice touch, and an option to change the sleep timer in addition to the screensaver, and (S610 only) an option to clear all the preset stations so when you select 'Auto preset', you don't have to delete the thirty presets manually. These would make this an absolute killer device.
I feel the same about the S610 too. The zoom function for photos should be a must for future firmwares.

The FM radio logo is nonsense, it seems that it is the movie shortcut. An antenna or small radio would be better.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:32 AM

I'd love to see:

- Support for H.264 or at least a good converter

- Support for in-player file deletion

- Ogg/Flac support
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dav's Sony NWZ-A818 001.jpg (58.1 KB, 14 views)

Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Talking

What could nice is:

-support of STANDARD playlists (m3u, pls). I'm on a mac and I can't use Winamp nor WMP11.
-on the go playlists.
-possibility to remove this f**king sound limit (not the AVLS, the one when the level is at more than 23).

And that's it !

Last edited by emfa; 01-15-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: language not sensored enough

Old 01-15-2008, 08:05 PM

Mine goes up to 30. What sound limit? And why would you want it that loud, anyways?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM

I get enough with 18 or 20. I only use 28,29 when hooked up to an amplifier.

Sony walkmans have AVLS for volume level limit..

Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 PM

I'm french and I think we've got particular legal restriction for mp3 players sound. From 23 to 30, the volume does not change. I think, this is due to the french firmware...

Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfa View Post
I get enough with 18 or 20. I only use 28,29 when hooked up to an amplifier.

Sony walkmans have AVLS for volume level limit..
Wow, even that is A LOT! Definite hearing damage with normal buds (not the hard to drive kinds). I get around with 8-12 with the stock sony buds or ety's er6i's.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:52 PM

I rarely venture above vol 15 in the city with street noise, never went above 12 on an airplane and usually 10-11 when it's quite. I use sony ex-71s though, so they isolate sound a bit better than the provided buds.

Things I would like to see added:

-better video codec support, divx, wmv, avi, etc.
-better audio codec support, flac
-on the go playlists
-support for winamp playlists, drop and drop
-GAPLESS playback!!!

Problem is, with sony not showing any mp3 players at CES (I saw none), it could mean they are preparing a separate show to debuts new audio/video players for 08. Which could mean a firmware update is not in the works, or is not the first thing on sony's mind.

Now here's the kicker, assuming sony does show new players in a month or 2, when will they go on sale? If it's august/sept, then a new firmware update might be released for the players, assuming the chip can support the new addons, if the players go on sale soon after the show, I don't think a firmware update is in the works.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 PM

Playlist editing on the go is what this player NEEDS!!!

I honestly still cannot believe a basic option like that is missing.When I'm listening to something i sometimes automatically go to the options and search for "Add to playlist" .

Nice features I would like to see in a firmware update:
-Skins for the home screen,or at least some color versions of the basic theme.
-ability to display "Now playing" as a giant album art+ few lines of info.
-a file browser with a Delete option.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:51 PM

I absolutely agree 100% with the need for OTG playlists. I just bought an A818 this week. I love everything about it - but I'm so surprised and let down by the lack of OTG playlist (a feature that I personally use about 95% of the time when listening to my mp3 player - formally a Dell Pocket DJ), I might have to return it.

Two questions for you Sony pros out there:

1) Are you aware of, or suspect, any new firmware release in the near future? With Sony's past products how long after first release do they typically produce a firmware upgrade?

2) Can you recommend any other mp3 player that has a similar feel as the A818, but with OTG playlists, for me to check out? My priorities are: >4GB, OTG playlists (preferably where I can add-to and reshuffle during playback), Napster, buttons (no touch screen), flash, sound quality, ...

Appreciate whatever help you can provide. Kinda grumpy - this A818 is so nice, but just not good enough.

-StaggerLee

Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 PM

Definitely OTG playlists and support for .m3u and .pls playlists. And the ability to delete songs from within the player. Also, a fix for the missing album release date when using drag & drop. I really want to use the drag & drop feature, but won't unless this is fixed. I don't know why this was overlooked, especially when the Time Machine Shuffle is one of the player's unique features.

I really hope Sony is reading this thread...

Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 PM

Hey, i don't really know what .m3u or .pls are kind of playlists but u can make one through windows, Walkman/Storage Media, here if u right click on a folder and then click on Create Playlist(i think it says it,my's on swedish) when it starts to add music(or whatever) u press cancel and open the playlist and start drag n drop musik to it that u have on your mp3, dunno if u guys already knew this but i hope i helped a bit =)

Old 02-16-2008, 03:57 PM

For me, I'd like to see the following features added:

- As others have mentioned, on-the-go playlists.
- The ability to add album art via drag-and-drop, specifically when you drop the art into the same folder as the song(s) it becomes the album art for all songs in that folder. To me, this would be much simpler than relying on embedding the art into the MP3 file itself.
- Have an option not to show album art at all, even in the "Now Playing" screen (it could be replaced by information on the song that is currently in "Detailed Information" under the option list.