android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2007, 06:46 AM

Default MTP mode in Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon

I've successfully got MTP mode to work in Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon so thought I'd share the details here.

First of all this uses a library called libmtp. The version in the Gutsy Gibbon repositories is 0.2.1 and does not work with the Sansa View. Unless you can find an alternative repository you're going to need to build this yourself. But don't worry, it's straightforward. Download the latest version from http://libmtp.sourceforge.net (I got 0.2.4) and unpack the archive. Then in a console cd to the directory you just unpacked and run the following 3 commands:

Code:
./configure
sudo make
sudo make install
Next you need to edit /etc/udev/rules.d/libmtp.rules in your favourite editor and add the Sansa View to the list of devices as follows. Notice the MODE is 666 to ensure your own user has access to the device. You will need to restart for these changes to take effect.

Code:
# SanDisk Sansa View
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0781", ATTRS{idProduct}=="74b0", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
Now we want to make sure everything is working so you want to install mtp-tools using the package manager or as follows:

Code:
sudo apt-get install mtp-tools
Connect the Sansa View to the PC using the supplied cable and then run the following command:

Code:
mtp-detect
This will detect any available MTP devices and print out lots of information about the View if successful.

At this stage you should be able to use the View as an MTP device using your preferred media application. I use Amarok which is packaged with MTP support in Gutsy Gibbon. All you need to do is go to Media Devices in the configuration dialog and add an 'MTP Media Device', then press the connect button on the 'Devices' view.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]