android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 PM

No microphonics? That would usually mean you don't get a good seal and they don't connect properly to your ear canal. In that case, you shouldn't hear any bass frequencies as well. If you hear deep bass, all is fine.

All I can say is take it slowly, especially since they're your first IEMs. They sure are fatter than most others, and they're not exactly "beginner friendly" shaped. But I'm sure you'll get the hang of it over time. My first IEMs were the Super.Fi 5 EB, and they're way more uncomfortable than the X3i's.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM

For what I have learn, only one batch suffered from the 'glued cable' issue dfkt's XB/iX3i have (unlucky if you get one of those). Jaben has received complaints and asked CrossRoads to correct the problem. All the later (= current) batch of XBi/X3i should all have the proper strain relief (knot + glue). In any case, if your X3i/XBi have any cable issue, Uncle Wilson @ Jaben will replace it without charge.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:25 PM

Good to hear, let's hope that people getting them now don't have these horrible cable issues... too bad Jaben sent me some shitty X3i and XBi for my review on the front page. The review might have been a lot more positive if my Mylars weren't that crappy.

Well, in any case now I have the highest quality X3i of them all.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ooh yay, now i may not be worried to get them as much, i was going away from them cuz of the cable issues, but since it seems to be fixed... i still need to get someone to let me get them...

Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 PM

Yeah, thats good to hear-- I hope mine were the 2nd batch ^.^

Glad they have such a good warranty!

One last question about fitting: If I have earwax on the housing of the x3i's all the way up to halfway around the band... I am doing it wrong, right? I think I might have it down, but they still seem a little uncomfortable (expected) don't isolate more than perhaps 6-7 decibels, and don't stay in very well. If I am getting isolation around level, then I should have a proper seal though. At least I can wear them briefly.

Thanks for the help in fitting them... I doubt I am done yet though, I still cant believe how differently they look in your ears dfkt! Like I said, the wire sticks almost straight out at a 90 in mine...

PS: If I put them in while music is playing, they sound completely drops out when I apply pressure the phones. Is that normal?

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM

Final mod...

Since the double flanged tips come off too easily (and often get stuck in my ears, needing pincers to get them out again), I simply put some Blu Tack on the nozzle.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM

0.o The double flange tips did come off a little easy for me... but I cant imagine them coming off in your ears. Err... my ears.

Very nice work dfkt ^.^ You have way too much time on your hands and know exactly how to spend it!

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 01-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Heh, all in all these three mods took less than half an hour... but the photos and writing took most of the time. Well, I sure hope it's some use for you.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 PM

I will, I really do appreciate it.

I have found these things very interesting. As I have used them more I found it is actually considerably painful to put them in, (Enough to make me wince, and thats DEFINITELY saying something-- I have a past history of badly hurting myself with anything from large knives to boiling aerosolized copper in the face, no joke! I have pix to prove the latter, but you don't wanna see em ;-) I'm over it! ) but once they are in they aren't much of a problem! I would have conceived it the exact opposite... They sure are nothing like I imagined, but I really do love these things!

Cant wait till I have a better portable audio source than my mom's e280... These things arrived 7 business days early! Waaay before my d2! It took only 7 days flat (5 business) to get here from Singapore! Which is really quite incredible... Congratulations to Jaben. West coast too!

The soundstage really did blow me away-- I never would have expected anything but linear left/right from anything inside my ears. It doesn't quite go fully front back, but it still goes about 60ish degrees before waning out.

'Skillet - Best Kept Secret' never sounded so bassy before either! And I am catching all sorts of minor fluctuations and noises I never heard before in Smash Mouth... And I thought my $120 HP-1's sounded good! Who woulda thunk it... Truly amazing!

Now I just have to try to finish my schoolwork early so I can enjoy these before I leave for the weekend! (Four hour car drive one-way and I wont be able enjoy my new babies!)

PS: Mine of course have the iPhone compatible minijack, but they also use the same cheap paper filters as yours. I'll check later to see if the cord is internally knotted. (Wait, it doesn't snap back together... that might be a later project) Also, the cord is stiff enough to retain its shape very well once I take them off of my ears, they dont hold themselves up, but they return to a circular shape when laid of a flat surface, even something high-friction like a wide-mesh cloth.

EDIT1: I take that back about the soundstage, I am positive I can discern rear and front quite clearly-- Perhaps not as stunningly as with other sound systems (7.1 B&W!) but still fantastic, equaling or surpassing all of my headphones, almost all of which cost more money. Plus, these only have four hours of burn-in!

UPDATE1; The soundstage on these things has continue to open, now at 10-11 hours-- I can hear things at and between center to left/right/rear/forward and I would swear to God over my head. The bass is great too, clean and with a nice & strong impact without being too loud. I have yet to install metal mesh filters in the nozzles though...

Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 PM

Xeno, I'm watching your experiences with great interest, since I'm in a similar boat. I've never had decent headphones before, let alone IEMs, but I just ordered my X3i last night. Hopefully they'll get here right when my D2 does (I'll be ordering Monday-ish from Newegg), but if not I'll just have to start burning them in with, um, my laptop as the source.

Anyway, off that e200, to what format/bitrate are you listening that is opening up all these sounds?

So what's this talk of the minijack? The X3i comes with a 3/32" plug, or a normal 1/8" one? The D2 uses a standard 1/8" jack, correct?

Old 01-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i can answer the 2nd question. 1/8" jack, but the connector is the size of an ipods stock earbuds. its made as so to fit the iphone

Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinwalker View Post
but if not I'll just have to start burning them in with, um, my laptop as the source.
Don't burn them in - just listen to them right away. They sound good right out of the box (but indeed they'll change a bit over time). Improper "forced" burn-in is more likely to damage the drivers than speed things up for the better.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Don't burn them in - just listen to them right away. They sound good right out of the box (but indeed they'll change a bit over time). Improper "forced" burn-in is more likely to damage the drivers than speed things up for the better.
That is to say, I'd be using them attached to my laptop in lieu of a PMP. But, good advice nonetheless. Thanks.

So the whole "iPhone plug" thing only refers to the Mylar's plug being designed to fit into the recessed iPhone jack and speaks nothing to the plug or jack's diameter. Correct?

I ask because my current phone uses a 3/32" jack, for some unfathomable reason. Not that I actually listen to music off it, but I don't have an adapter should I need it.

So, no worries then, eh?

Old 01-18-2008, 05:59 PM

It's a normal 3.5mm plug, the same all other earphones have. Just the housing of the plug is smaller to fit the iPhone's botched headphone jack. Way to go Apple, forcing a whole industry to change their plugs, just because the iPhone designers are too stupid to implement a proper jack design...

The upper plug is the X3i, the lower one the older X3 model:

Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
IWay to go Apple, forcing a whole industry to change their plugs, just because the iPhone designers are too stupid to implement a proper jack design...
See, when I read that, I read "Sony" instead of "Apple"... except Apple can get away with it, it seems.

So why isn't there a general AQ forum here, for things like software and bitrates and such? If there's enough interest, I could see it being very helpful.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinwalker View Post
So why isn't there a general AQ forum here, for things like software and bitrates and such? If there's enough interest, I could see it being very helpful.
I don't see what that has to do with the MylarOnes, but we already started building a FAQ forum: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...play.php?f=155 - every helping hand is welcome.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:58 AM

Good to see I'm not that extreme, compared to certain other people...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3678669-post141.html

Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Hmmm military grade cable......now why didnt you think of that dfkt......are you starting to lose grip? .......

...and the guy is thinking about burning them in......with what?..........a flamethrower!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Hmmm military grade cable......now why didnt you think of that dfkt......are you starting to lose grip? .......
Because I know for sure that this cable overkill is bogus? Replacing the paper filter for the metal one sure does small wonders for the treble - using a silver cable instead of a copper one sure doesn't.

Sure looks nice and blingy, but most likely doesn't do anything for the sound - not to speak of how uncomfortably heavy that cable must be for these small earbuds.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Holy microphonics-from-hell, Batman!

Tags
cable, crossroads, diy, earphone, headphone, iem, in-ear phone, mod, mylarone, soldering