android
Old 01-15-2008, 11:38 AM

Default How's Sony with firmware updates?

I have been wanting to get a Sony player for some time (the S610 series) but I've noticed for several months now there hasn't been any firmware updates. Generally, for all Sony players, I have rarely seen mentions of (frequent) firmware updates. Is Sony's philosophy that it's best to get it right from the beginning and that's all you're gonna get?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Sony releases firmware updates if there is reason to release one. Check the sony support pages, there are several firmware updates available for different players. You are right in that sense that sony tends to release products that are "ready" and don't need constant updating, unlike some other companies.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
You are right in that sense that sony tends to release products that are "ready" and don't need constant updating, unlike some other companies.
Hehehe... wonder what "other companies" you mean, considering there's a Cowon in your sig.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 PM

So, pretty much there aren't any firmware updates for sony players? I ditched my PSP to get an NWZ S615F and it's great and all, but It doesn't read PCM (aka my entire Beatles collection) and I had grown accusotmed to themes and even wallpapers. My PSP also had music visualizers and .txt support. Now, none of these were stock features with the PSP: they all came through firmware updates. I don't see why sony would treat the venerable Walkman brand so much worse.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattleox View Post
So, pretty much there aren't any firmware updates for sony players? I ditched my PSP to get an NWZ S615F and it's great and all, but It doesn't read PCM (aka my entire Beatles collection) and I had grown accusotmed to themes and even wallpapers. My PSP also had music visualizers and .txt support. Now, none of these were stock features with the PSP: they all came through firmware updates. I don't see why sony would treat the venerable Walkman brand so much worse.
Be patient, Sony is almost forced to improve the FW of walkmans or else they will lose the market. This will happen because there is a war going on and Sony is not a weak brand, they will come up with a FW eventually ( 2 months more maybe? i dont know..)

Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The S61x series prob won't get any updates unless they find something wrong w/the current firmware AND I have a D2 and know the HORROR of constant firmware updates (and my Zune 30 is a prime example also LOL).

Old 03-08-2008, 02:06 PM

When I was reading the ABI review of the a810, he touched on this,
Quote:
Sony rarely releases firmware updates so don’t expect to fumble around with messy updates. Why don’t they release new firmware? Well basically because they do it right the first time and release a player that is ready for consumers. Other companies should take note.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout565 View Post
When I was reading the ABI review of the a810, he touched on this,
There's you answer in a nutshell!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM

Yeah, Sony tends to release very stable and polished FW so there's not usually any need for patches due to bugs, etc. Which is great, but it also means that you shouldn't hold your breath for a FW with new features. Basically what you get in the box is all you're ever going to get.

So if you buy a Sony, get it for what it does now and not what you hope it might do in the future. They tend to be a little light in features compared to other premium players, but the features that are there tend to be well implemented and work as expected. Can't really say the same for a lot of other players (Cowon, anyone?)

Old 03-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
(Cowon, anyone?)
Been there and done that w/Cowon. The D2 was supposed to be my pride and joy - who knew Sony and Creative would be jockeying for position?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM

Getting it right the first time is very important, especially when it comes to bugs/problems (like with the Creative players, which seem to ship unfinished and be fixed on the way). So kudos to Sony for that.

However, there is always room for improvement. New features are always welcome, even minor ones (such as those Sony owners are suggesting). It even acts as an after-sales support. Gives you the feeling "they care" even after they've taken your money.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
...but it also means that you shouldn't hold your breath for a FW with new features. Basically what you get in the box is all you're ever going to get.
exactly

Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Sony should get gapless playback like in the psp. They didn't get this right (they went backwards).

Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
Sony should get gapless playback like in the psp. They didn't get this right (they went backwards).
That doesn't make much sense to me, Sony constantly updates the PSP and yet doesn't bother to do the same for their walkmans. My guess is that the product life of the walkmans are a lot less then the PSP. So they can Just add new futures to their newer walkmans. BUT, With their new s710 and a720 Sony added NO NEW FUTURES. Huh?

Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony is kinda' screwed up like that. I wan't gapless playback me'self!!! That and 32gb!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 11:18 PM

the players don't really crash, so i guess thats the advantage.
no new features though.
psp updates integrate other features for sony ....and also break any piracy/hacking efforts. less of a priority with music players.