android
Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Default AC and DC modes switched after "repair"

Also posted this on Iaudiophile, but maybe there's a Cowon genius here who can help...

To have my new battery soldered in, I went to Portatronics in New York City, an Ipod/computer/portable electronics mini-empire. Arrogant nerds.

Music plays, navigation is still working, my replacement startup video runs, etc.

But after the battery replacement, the plugged-in icon shows when it's on battery power and it won't shut off--just shows the Charging screen. Plug in the subpack and charger--no AC connection, just the charger plug--and it shows the battery icon and works like it's on battery, turns off, etc. It also charges via USB. But I don't want to be carrying the charger just to turn it off.

EDIT: Reset turns it off. Good.

With the charger plugged in to the wall, the Charging screen shows again. At least something works right.

The know-it-all geek at Portatronics, who didn't even glance at the nice big photo printouts I brought from the battery-repair page here before disassembling the X5, said when I showed him the problem, "Oh, that sort of thing is usually a motherboard problem." Which he took no responsibility for damaging--if, indeed, it's damaged and he's not just blowing me off. He showed me how there were no connections he could have reversed, or so he claimed.

So, any suggestions for fixes? Upgrading firmware from 2.07e to 2.10 didn't make any difference.

Late-breaking news: Playing FLAC files on battery power crashes it now. FLAC plays fine when plugged in.

Any ideas? Also, if anyone knows how to spread the word on the incompetence of Portatronics, I'd like to help other people avoid my poor X5's fate.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 PM

This is kind of confusing the way you have written your symptoms.
1) When it is just on the battery, that is no ac input to the subpack or usb supplied voltage, will it turn on and get to the main user screen after holding the on button? If not, what does it show if anything?
2) With the ac adapter plugged into the subpack will it get to the main user screen after being turned on? If not what happens if anything?
Just trying to make sense of the symptoms. If something was shorted when the battery was changed this could have caused the problem you are having. Attaching the battery backwards probably couldn't have caused a problem as more than likely there is built in protection against this. To me it seems like the AC/DC flag system is not working. The fact that you say the flac files crash except on ac seems to point to a problem with the separation between the AC/DC system. Hard to say. Just spitting things out here to get a handle on the problem. This is what I do for a living. Let me know.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:19 PM

Thanks for your reply.

On battery, it turns on and displays NEARLY everything normally. I can play music (except FLAC), navigate, etc. But instead of the battery icon, there is the charging icon, as if it thinks it's getting AC. And the (brand new) battery runs down in about 2 hours, so either it's not getting fully charged or it's being very rapidly discharged.

With the AC adapter plugged in it also goes to the main screen just fine and shows Charging. As far as I can tell, operation on AC is completely normal.

The only time I see the battery icon is when the subpack is connected and the charger plug is plugged into the subpack--with or without AC power.

AC/DC flag system sounds right--it just doesn't know where it's getting power. Any ideas on fixing it?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 PM

"The only time I see the battery icon is when the subpack is connected and the charger plug is plugged into the subpack--with or without AC power."

This is a curious statement. I assume that what you are saying is that the unit is up and running at the user interface and when you plug in the subpack and then the AC charger the battery icon comes on. There is nothing in the subpack between the where the AC plugs in and the connector on the X5. It just passes voltage into the player. What that is telling me is that there is probably voltage going out to the charger from the player. This points to the isolation between these systems being compromised. Voltage and current should only flow from the charger into the unit and not feed back to the charger from the battery. There is probably a diode there that is shorted. This is probably the reason that the unit is having a hard time telling when the battery is used or not and could also be the reason why the battery is not charging. The other issue regarding the charging of the battery is whether or not the protection circuit (PC) is being used. The original battery came with a PC that prevents the battery from damage and overcharging. If the battery was replaced without the PC, with a damaged PC or with an incorrect one then there may be some issues regarding the charging of battery and the safety of using it. There are some threads on the iaudio forums regarding the replacement of the battery and some of these issues. Without schematics, though, there is probably not much you can do except to disassembly the device and look for damaged components on the board. Then there is how do you fix the device without proper equipment -microscopes, smd soldering equipment, etc. If it was mine this is what I would do but this is what I was trained to do. Even then I might not have much luck without schematics and the possibility of not being able to identify the component remains an obstacle. I assume that you are using it but in a diminished capacity. If so, keep using it and look for something to replace it.