android
Old 01-19-2008, 04:03 PM

Default AV Cable problem

Okay, so I finally decided to buy a av video cable for my Zen so that I could show music videos at church.

Problem is, when I hook it up, the picture doesn't come through at all. I've tried both video out settings and nothing appears. Sound comes through perfectly. I'm plugging the cable into the dongle and everything seems to be plugged in securely.

Did creative send me a defective chord? Or is there something wrong with my player?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Be sure to set your ZVM to output video: Main Menu > Settings > Video & Photo Settings > Video Output: Auto (NTSC) or Auto (PAL), depending on the standard used in your region.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM

I tried both output settings on the TV that I was using and no picture appeared. I tried turning the player off and then turning it on with both settings. And still nothing happened?

What do you think?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think either there was something not set properly on the TV, or you got sent the wrong cable. One way to test for the cable is to pull it out of the A/V jack on your player by one click. If video appears, then you have the wrong cable.

Or, if you have access to an ohm-meter, you can test the cable using the specs noted here.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:14 PM

But I ordered the video cable directly from creative's website. Shouldn't that be the correct cord?

I tried pulling the cord out a couple of clicks or so, and all I got was a static sound or the sound going to a mono instead of stereo sound.

Again, the sound works great, but the video just isn't coming up on the TV. I've tried plugging through two different VCRs, straight into a TV, and through a cable box and the picture does not come through.

When I plug the A/V cord into the dongle, a message on the display says "Switching display to A/V out..." and then the screen goes black.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmmm. I'm not sure what to tell you there. You may want to get hold of an ohm-meter and test that cord out.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 PM

Okay. There are a few people at church who are electricians, and I'll check it out whenever I get the chance.

Is there anything else that I could possibly do until then?
Are there any other cords that work that I could use?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Check the link I gave you earlier in this thread. Those are the only A/V cables known to work with the ZVM.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM

OK cool. I'll check it out, thanks. I'm currently in the process of emailing a person in the Creative Tech Support. Hopefully we'll figure something out. I'd rather not spend another $30 on another av cord if I can help it.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:51 AM

Hey, I also wanted to ask you about this cord that I found. It's really cheap, but it says that it works for the Zen.

Here's the link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Do you think it's OK? With it only being $5, I might just get only because it's so cheap. What do you think?

Old 01-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have no experience with them, but at that price, you've got nothing to lose.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 PM

OK, that's what I was thinking too. I'll go ahead and order it and let you know how it works when it comes in.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 PM

Alright, so here's the update.

I bought the new cable and the same exact thing happened on multiple TVs. Video but no sound.

Then something has to be wrong with the player, right?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 PM

I was also wondering...

Do you think a firmware update would fix my problem?

I haven't updated the firmware since I've gotten it a year ago because I didn't know anything about the firmware until I was reading through the forums the other day.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wait. Here, here and here you said that there was sound, but not video. Now you're saying you have video, but not sound? Can you confirm that? If it's true, then the problem should be the cables, and not the player.

If the first cable was capable of outputting sound but no video, and the second cable is capable of outputting video but no sound, then the player and subpack/adapter should be working fine.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:57 PM

Sorry, that was a typo on my part. All sound, no video.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, this is not good, not at all!

Unless you just happened to try a bunch of TVs that were either misconfigured or not properly working, this means the problem is with your player. Now, the player is obviously sensing the presence of the A/V cable (a little switch in the dongle, simulated in the direct-plug cable you got), as it blanks its internal screen as it should. This eliminates the processor. The video works just fine on the internal screen, so this eliminates the graphics and raster subsystems. So, it seems the video is not being routed to the data port when the video mode is switched. Now, this could be a firmware issue (and I do encourage you to reinstall your firmware to find out), but it may be a hardware problem in the player.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 PM

I installed the updated firmware onto my player last night. The thing is, I have a bunch of really old TVs at my house, so none of them have the plug-ins that I need to test it out. So, I have to wait for a couple of days to see if updating the firmware helped any. I'll let you know when I test that out.

Quick question about the firmware though. After I downloaded and installed the firmware, everything was working great, but when I went to turn my player on today for the first time, it took about ten minutes for it to boot up. Is this typical or will that just go away after the new firmware has been installed for a few days?

Old 01-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's not normal. That tells me your player's hard drive is way overdue for a clean-up. See my thread titled "Recovery Mode" in the FAQ subforum.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 AM

Alright thanks a lot. I'll check that out, and let you know if that helps.

I'm also still waiting to get to a TV to try out the new firmware.

I'll keep you posted.

Hey, thanks again for all the help.