android
Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 AM

Default hissing sound

hi!

just a simple (newbie) question: after having just received my zen 16GB i can hear a rather gentle hissing sound, especially while booting up the unit and when pausing playback. in very silent songs i thinnk i can hear it also... is this something i have to accept? one of my two other players (sansa e280) has this also while the other (meizu miniplayer 4GB) does not...
thanks!
michap

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What phones are you using? Many players tend to hiss with low impedance phones (less than ~30 Ohm, in general).

Old 01-21-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What phones are you using? Many players tend to hiss with low impedance phones (less than ~30 Ohm, in general).
Creative EP 630 or V-Moda Vibes... it΄s the same with both of them, though the creative sound better

Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah yes... both are 16 Ohm, if I remember correctly. There's probably nothing you can do except using an impedance adapter, or other, less sensitive, phones (both solutions are probably not worth the hassle).

Some players tend to hiss more when the EQ or other sound enhancements are turned on - you could try to see if that makes any difference.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Ah yes... both are 16 Ohm, if I remember correctly. There's probably nothing you can do except using an impedance adapter, or other, less sensitive, phones (both solutions are probably not worth the hassle).

Some players tend to hiss more when the EQ or other sound enhancements are turned on - you could try to see if that makes any difference.
eq is turned off... ok, thanks a lot! i just wanted to know whether changing the unit for another zen would make sence, as i could do that 14 days after purchase... but according to your thought, it would not make sense?!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Probably not... four of my five players hiss with low impedance phones - some more, some less. Unfortunately that's how it is... most MP3 players aren't really Hi-Fi.

None of these players hiss with my q-Jays (39 Ohm) or Etymotic ER-6 (48 Ohm), however.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Oh, is this hiss sound really annoying? I was considering buying myself EP630, but now I'm not sure ...

Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's new for me. I've had 3 Creative players for the last 2 - 3 years, and haven't had this problem (and I've listened to them mostly paired with my ATH-CK7's, which are sensitive phones -- 16 Ohm).

Interesting... Meizu players are considered "hissy" by some (although not much, from my experience), but you don't seem to have problems with yours. Are you be able to test another Zen, only to make sure you haven't got a defective unit? You have nothing to lose.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was going to get the EP630's as well..... but I don't hear any hissing sound at all using 3 different phones(including the stock buds that came with the Zen) I currently use (none really that great). I do hear a crackle like sound when inserting the phones and then powering on, but that is all; nothing when paused either.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM

Do you know what's their impedance? I think the one that came with Zen are 32 Ohm. My poor alternative sennheisers are also 32, but I am really curious if 16 Ohm will produce unwanted sound ...

Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 PM

I have a very audible hiss while using my v-moda bass freq. headphones. Is it due to low impedance possibly? I find it quite annoying. I read good reviews on these although I haven't been able to confirm the impedence but v-moda vibe headphones are around 16 Ohms, I think. I am wondering if it is low for the bass freqs as well.

The hissing is mostly noticeable if there is no music/video being played. The volume can be off or turned right down, but the hiss is still very noticeable and very loud. I posted specifically on this topic. I would like to confirm one way or the other if it is due to the earphones or not. I have tried traditional headphones that fit over the ears and there is no hiss. Those headphones are not noise isolating but the hiss is annoying.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:56 AM

hi!
after a few days of testing the unit, i still can cofirm the hissing sound. as soundwave wrote its΄s mostly noticeable if there is no music being played. and for me, it΄s not that loud. i can live with it... but unfortunately, i cannot try the earphones with another zen, but i don΄t think it΄s a problem of this particular unit as there is no hissing sound with any conventional earphones i used (non-iem΄s). the hissing sound is only noticeable with my Creative EP 630 and V-Moda Vibes (both 16 ohms, hissing sound is identical on both)

Old 01-29-2008, 09:47 AM

Just to chime in, my ZEN is by far the worst sound DAP when played through the input of my BMW X5's sound system (as pictured), both because of this 'hissing' issue and relatively poor output volume.

Note: I'm not bashing the player, but... The 'hissing' issue is very prominent...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dav's Creative ZEN 16gb in BMW X5.jpg (108.6 KB, 21 views)

Old 01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Seems that Creative dropped the ball on this one, unfortunately.

Poor SD card integration, no TV-out and now this "hissing" problem... too bad.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Additionally there's a problem with most WMAs playback.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the additional info, Valdr. It's even worse than I thought...

Old 01-29-2008, 11:54 PM

Yes, there could've been more issues but the rest is rather fixable.
I don't care about tv-out neither WMAs since I'm used to MP3s. SD integretion also doesn't bother me as much, but that hissing sounds - although I haven't experienced it yet - I wouldn't like to hear it with new headphones.
I really wonder if it happens to all models or only to some part of them just as white screens of death.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 AM

Although the hissing sound happens to my ZEN, i really have no problem with it. It's not that big a deal (I have EP-630's) for me as such - the hissing only occurs, as said above, when no music is played or on pause; it really isn't all that annoying, but that's just me. =P

Old 01-30-2008, 06:11 AM

If so I probably buy myself EP-630 ...

Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Has someone tested the Zen with higher impedance headphones?? (>= 32 Ohm)

I hope there's no hissing sound with those, or at least it's very subtle.