android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung T10

Old 01-25-2008, 04:39 PM

Default If I reinstall sms what happens to the songs on my T10?

I am a new user of mp3 players and when I installed sms I chose (bad decision) not to install the option which I believe converts files. As all my audio files were mp3 and the few video files I have are MPEG4 I presumed there would be no need to convert. Installation completed ok. The music files were no problem but the video files are a different matter and conversion failed due to a directx error.

I thought I would be able to simply insert the installation disc again and install the missing options but it appears I have to uninstall the entire program. If I do that, and then reinstall sms in full, what happens to the 1,000 music files already on my player?

Thank you

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Banned

1) make a new folder on your destop named music
2)COPY all the files from your mp3 to that folder
3) re-install sms and nothing will happen

the files in the mp3 will stay even if u dellete all files in sms(when mp3 iz not connected)

,step 1 and two are for backup, just incase u accidently press format like i did lol z, just delete it and instal it again, it aint like itunes

Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM

I did as you suggested and reinstalled sms including the XviD set up and the Lame codec etc.

Afraid I still cannot transfer the video files and am still getting 'Conversion failed due to a directX error' message. I notice that the files are marked mp4 so obviously that is the problem.

We tried, but away I go to search for another solution.

Thanks for trying to help and it was good to know that I didn't need to worry about losing the music files.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM

Can you play the mp4 files okay on your computer? Silly question, I know. But if not, you may need the right decoder for WMP and SMS to properly decode the files to re-encode into .svi, especially with a DirectX error. Try and find an mp4 codec, and install it, reboot, and try again.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 AM

Yes, I can play the mp4 files ok on my PC. Originally they were .flv files from youtube which my son converted so I could use on a Sandisk Sansa. I did reinstall SMS thinking that it would solve the problem but it didn't. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Success! online conversion site

After all my efforts to add some mpeg4 files to my T10 I have successfully done it and hope this information helps others on here. I tried installing all the codecs I read about but with no luck.

www.zamzar.com is a free online converter. The two files I was trying to add to my player were originally .flv files from you tube, but had been converted to mpeg4 for my previous iPod.

With Zamzar I simply entered the url from you tube and selected it to be converted to .avi, entered my email address and within 30 mins I had my .avi files. They are now on my T10 and I am happy. No stopping me now. Think I may try converting the mpeg4 version from my computer next - just out of curiosity.

Hope I am not doing wrong giving this link. Good Luck every one.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 AM

You can also use a video converter called Super. This program lets you convert into nearly every container (.avi, .mpg, .mp4, .wmv, .gif, 3gp just to name a few) and into any number of available codecs for each container (x.263, x.264, x.264+, mpeg4, mpII, mpI, DivX, Xvid, WM9, and a ton of others as well). Program is free, its fast and it works. It will take .flv and .swf and turn it into .avi or .mpg which you can put into SMS and onto the T10. http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Old 02-01-2008, 05:47 AM

Smile

Yes, I had already had a look at Super after reading links on here but it involved installing it and to be honest at the moment I am avoiding installing anything else on this new PC. Never had so many hassles until I got Vista! I did add Super to my favourites for future use but at the moment I only had a couple of files needing converting. Must say Super's web page makes it all look very confusing at first glance, so I took the easier option (for me). lol

Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 PM

Yea, it was VERY confusing. took about 10 minutes poking around before I found the right download link. Its a good program tho, and it is compatible with Vista, but that doesnt mean it will work. lol. I loathe Vista so much. From an administrators standpoint, its incredibly difficult to use efficiently.