android
Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 PM

Default TV-out issues with cables

I have a tv-out cable I bought off ebay back when the ZV:M was my primary DAP/PVP and now I have the Pilot and I'm not sure that it's working with it. I hooked it up from the top(2nd)headphone jack to my Olevia lcd hdtv and turned on the tv to composite or whatever. I started a vid on the Pilot and went to tv out to turn it on and used 4:3, and the 1st NTSC setting or whatever it is and it gave me an error message. Why didn't it work?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Maybe because the ZV:M cable uses a proprietary pinout and the Pilot don't. I'm not sure, since I don't have a Pilot, but some manufacturers (Creative, for example) change the pinout so that standard cables won't work with a specific device (to charge more for "compatible accessories" ).

Maybe someone else can provide links to Pilot-compatible TV-out cables?

Old 01-26-2008, 10:59 PM

So I'll have to buy 2 more tv-out cables? 1 for the D2, one for the Pilot? Or should I just get a D2 one?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:09 AM

I don't believe the D2 ones will work with the Pilot at all. I believe the D2 ones has proprietary connections too.

I believe the iPod ones should work with the Pilot.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, covertrussian. The TV-out cable for D2 has a micro-USB plug on one end, so it won't work with the Pilot, definitely.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:52 AM

I thought the TV-out plug was the bottom headphone jack (the one in the middle of the player), not the top one. I thought THAT one doubled as line-in.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 PM

I guess I'll just get one for the D2 and have to deal with the 320x240 limitation. For that I miss my ZV:M.

I eventually wanna get another because of the great tv out but I'll probably just try to find a dvi-cable adapter or whatever it's called on ebay for my laptop. Anyone wanna tell me what it is exactly? I have a newish gateway laptop with the port on the back and I have an Olevia LCD hdtv that has an hdmi port currently in use.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex91 View Post
I guess I'll just get one for the D2 and have to deal with the 320x240 limitation. For that I miss my ZV:M.

I eventually wanna get another because of the great tv out but I'll probably just try to find a dvi-cable adapter or whatever it's called on ebay for my laptop. Anyone wanna tell me what it is exactly? I have a newish gateway laptop with the port on the back and I have an Olevia LCD hdtv that has an hdmi port currently in use.
I'm not exactly sure, but I think the Pilot has the same limitation. ...

Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Well I just bought an s-video cable so I'll stick w/my laptop.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 AM

anybody have trouble enableing your pilot for tv out? when i go into settings and try to change the tv out from enable off to on i get a tv with an exclamation point. any ideas?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:18 AM

Have you tried changing the setting with the Pilot cables hooked up to both the TV and the Pilot? I believe both the Pilot and the TV need to be connected before the setting can be changed. I've never used the TV out funtion, but tried changing it one time t se what would happen and received the same mesage. I use the USB to view videos from my pilot through my HT system to my TV. I can also listen to music this way.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 PM

BZA13,

what i have found out is this, you have to have the video channel on the right channel on the tv AND AND RIGHT PLUG INTO THE RIGHT INPUT OF THAT TV FOR THE TV-OUT TO B ENABLED RIGHT as i found out, the the red is my video and not the yellow as usual since insig changed the pin out on the inside of the player to use a proprietary cable from best buy(them greedy fkn losers!!)

Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 AM

Read this. It worked with mine ^_^

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2005/11/18/video-ipod.html

If you have a generic TV-Out Cable or even an AV splitter and an Input to Output cable (that's what i had) and put them together, then just plug the red plug into the yellow hole, yellow plug into the white hole, and the white plug into the red hole.

Otherwise, you'll have to buy this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703394661

good luck.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:30 PM

It's easy! I remember it like this:
Real Young Yankee Women like Wine and Roses

Red plug to Yellow jack. Yellow plug to White jack. White plug to Red jack.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 AM

thanks for the help folks. tried it out tonight and it works pretty decent.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM

Unhappy Good info

This is a good thread. Why don't they post it on the top of the forum?

So I tried the MP3 player out using my AV cable that I use with my DVD player, and then came here to see why it wouldn't work. That is crazy you have to switch the colors around, it doesn't even say that in the Pilot instructions.

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately it didn't work, I still get the exclamation mark when I try to connect to TV Out on the player. I followed Red plug to yellow jack, yellow to white, white to red, I hear video, no picture. Also I tried both the top and 2nd plug on the player, neither worked. Another fine feature I can't get to work!

Last edited by leo3; 03-19-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: tried Red plug to yellow jack, didn't work....

Old 03-22-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo3 View Post
Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately it didn't work, I still get the exclamation mark when I try to connect to TV Out on the player. I followed Red plug to yellow jack, yellow to white, white to red, I hear video, no picture. Also I tried both the top and 2nd plug on the player, neither worked. Another fine feature I can't get to work!
If you are hearing the video, you need to share those good drugs.

Make sure to use the middle jack on the player, and understand that the plug is attached to the wire and the jack is the part (hole?) on the tv. I don't mean to sound condescending, I'm sure there is a misunderstanding or (hopefully not) problem with the player. At some point, try connecting all three of the colored plugs to the yellow jack on your set, making sure the set can get video on that jack. This will tell you if there is a cable issue still. If it came with a DVD player, it should be a standard cable, but that is not a guarantee.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:26 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalq View Post
If you are hearing the video, you need to share those good drugs.

Make sure to use the middle jack on the player, and understand that the plug is attached to the wire and the jack is the part (hole?) on the tv. I don't mean to sound condescending, I'm sure there is a misunderstanding or (hopefully not) problem with the player. At some point, try connecting all three of the colored plugs to the yellow jack on your set, making sure the set can get video on that jack. This will tell you if there is a cable issue still. If it came with a DVD player, it should be a standard cable, but that is not a guarantee.

Yes I can hear video when my brain is scrambled! Ha ha!

We tried this same cable on 2 TVs, and used all 3 colors at different times in the video front on the TV. No go. I get scrambled video and I can see it is playing the video, but scrambled. So it is the cable or the player. Yes, I have the TV button changed to Video just like I do when I use the DVD player. Guess I have to shell out some $$$ for a different cable to try. I watched a Youtube video (badly done) that shows this guy holding the camera and setting the Pilot up to TV viewing. Why is it he is able to use the menu on the pilot and see it on the TV? I never got that far. The "TV !" locks the Pilot from going or doing anything!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman69 View Post
the the red is my video and not the yellow as usual since insig changed the pin out on the inside of the player to use a proprietary cable from best buy(them greedy fkn losers!!)
I don't use the video out, so sorry if I'm wrong, but I understand that the Pilot uses the same cable pinout as the iPod. So, if you were Insignia, would you go with the standard camcorder cable or the "standard" iPod cable? I blame Apple for adding another choice. So, yes, too bad they didn't stick to a non-Apple standard, but at least it's not completely off-the-wall.

Plus, based on what digitalq said above and a standard arrangement of yellow-white-red, just shift all the plugs one to the right and wrap around.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Insignia Moderator

Yes, the Pilot does indeed use the iPod pinout. The reason you can "hear video" through all of the plugs when using a standard camcorder cable is because the video and ground pins are swapped (cute trick, Apple...).

But, if you don't care about your cable, you can hack it (literally) to work with the Pilot. You need to cut the video cable (yellow) and simply swap the wires inside around. Then you must clip the ground wires in the audio cables (red and white) or else it will short out the video signal, and your TV may not like that too much... (Audio will still work; it will get ground from the video cable).

By the way, the "TV!" message is not an error message. It's informing you that the TV is now the display. The Pilot freezes the LCD because it can't drive both at once.