android
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Default video conversion woes...please help

hi all, I have been reading this forum and it it very informative. I could use some help. my new insignia ns-dv seems to be very fussy about how the video is transcoded. I don't understand this. all my other players in the past would work as they should, ie if the player says it plays avi then it plays avi etc. now as i understand it this is just the "container" and the video has to be transcoded using mpeg4. ok fine but the included media conversion software is weak. it is very slow and you can't make a widescreen into a full, which is what i want. so i'm trying to understand what the arcsoft software is doing to the video that not other program seems to be able to. i see that some people have had success with other programs and that is even more baffling to me. i have tried them with the same settings and create video that will not work on the same model player. makes not sense. I have tried super, iriverter, total video converter, mediacoder and mencoder. all have converted the video yet when i try to load it on the player it etiher prompts me it is not compatible or loads but then will not open or loads but then freezes. note that video converted with the arcsoft program works fine. I have tried all three firmawares. I hope someone can help me with this as i am ready to stomp it to pieces. thanks for any help

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Default alternative to arcsoft mediaconverter?

hi all, in case my previous post was too much to read I'm looking for a media converter that is faster than the arcsoft and will allow you to convert the widescreen to a 4x3. i cant' imagine anyone is watchine 16x9 video on their insignia player, it makes my eyes feel like they are bleeding i have tried super, mediacoder, mencoder and iriverter and all produce video that will not work on my player for some reason. doesn't have to be freeware, I don't mind buying if it works. thanks for any help doc

Old 01-28-2008, 01:26 PM

I also have found NS-DV4G is be extremly buggy when converting video files. ArcSoft is the most reliable converter but it has no cropping options. And most of all the converters listed on this site are buggy as well.

The only 2 programs that have worked well for me are:
- iSofter DVDRipper Platinum http://www.isofter.com/
- DVD Fab http://www.dvdfab.com/

iSofter offers lots of different DVD ripping options including video cropping, but I still had to re-convert the iSofter ripped file using Arcsoft (even though the file container, bitrates, codecs were seemingly the same, it would only work after a pass through ArcSoft.)

I'm currently using DVD Fab as mentioned previously on this forum. So far I can rip DVDs in one pass rather quickly and it works in the player without an ArcSoft re-convert. The video cropping features are not as good as iSofter, but it's better than doing things twice.

Even though I've enjoy my NS-DV4G player and bought very cheaply online, with all the problems I've had with firmware updates and video converting, I won't upgrade to another Insigina player when the time comes. I will go with a more mainstream name brand.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM

thanks for the reply. yeah I guess I will have to do them twice. really annoying. I have most of my favorite dvd already ripped in avi format for easy viewing. now i will have to use a sfotware to crop it then the arcsoft to make it comaptible i guess. what a shame. I do like the screen and the battery life is what sold me. I have an archos gmini and the battery only lasts a few hours video and it's bulky. I was reall hoping for a better solution. still would like to know what the arcsoft is doing that others aren't..then maybe I coudld recreate it. also still womdering how it's possible multiple persons use the same software and settings to convert and have different results on the same model player. again if I could figure this out then maybe I could find a fix. thanks again doc

Last edited by TheDreamDoc; 01-28-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 PM

I think I'm close to resolve ideal video conversion to NS-DV without Arcsoft.

By ideal I mean:
- It plays (of course)
- I can seek (fast forward/rewind)
- I can resume playback upon cycle power (with the right firmware).
- No synch issues for audio during normal play, after seek, or after off/on resume.
- I can crop, re-size, strech, letterbox, re-aspect or do whatever on the source.
- Great control on quality settings.
- Free tools used.

The drawbacks:
- Windows only (I have XP Pro)
- It's not easy but now I have the right settings and I'm kicking ax.
- Conversion may be slow, but I don't care. I let it run overnight or while I'm on something else.
- DirecShow based, so codecs installed by other apps may mess up your rig.

More details coming next...

Old 02-02-2008, 03:42 PM

So here are the details... After having some problems with getting non Arcsoft avi files to play flawless (see ideal in my prev post), I decided to pursue WMV files instead. I don't think MEncoder has a good WMV3 support for encode, so I decided to go with Windows DirectShow.

Tools :

- ffdshow. See Wiki article here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffdshow . This is a great DirectShow filter that supports many codecs. It doesn't have a player but once you install it, it acts as a filter for any DirectShow player or file converter in the machine. ( Keep in mind Arcsoft is DirectShow based, so you could use this to crop or any other preprocessing on Arcsoft jobs ) Any time a player (like windows media player) or converter (like Arcsoft) is using this filter, you get a task bar icon that you can use to bring up a screen to configure tons of filter options, like crop, size, aspect etc.

next tool follows...

Old 02-02-2008, 04:07 PM

As mentioned on the prev post, we could use ffdshow to filter Arcsoft jobs on the fly. There is no need to use a tool to crop/resize first to a temporary file, and then Arcsoft to do the final output. This thing works while Arcsoft is converting. However, I think there are deficiencies in Arcsoft that keeps it from working very well with the filter. It works for many things, but there are times I'm getting the impression Arcsoft is reading some attributes directly from the file and not from the filter chain. (i.e. on a DVD file I change size and aspect with the filter, Arcsoft gets the new cropped and resized frames but it still thinks it's anamorphic at 16x9 so I don't get the output I want)

So down to a different free file converter...

- Microsoft Windows Media Encoder. wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Encoder I'm no expert on these things so for me it was tricky to get the right settings for the NS, but I finally got them. I think I can make this thing spit out WMVs that work flawless on the Insignia (I'm still testing). If we get replies with interest we'll talk about it. I don't want to write a whole manual for the things that are kind of intuitive. If anyone is trying this and at some point gets stuck, post questions and I'll be glad to share my 2 cents.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 PM

Default WMV prx file

Argellix,

Have you been able to create a .prx for Window Media Encoder that will convert into wmv format for the NS-DV? I have been experimenting but haven't had any success. If you do have one, would you share it?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 04:59 PM

<profile version="589824"
storageformat="1"
name="Insignia uno"
description="">
<streamconfig majortype="{73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}"
streamnumber="1"
streamname="Audio Stream"
inputname="Audio409"
bitrate="64040"
bufferwindow="5000"
reliabletransport="0"
decodercomplexity=""
rfc1766langid="en-us"
>
<wmmediatype subtype="{00000161-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}"
bfixedsizesamples="1"
btemporalcompression="0"
lsamplesize="1487">
<waveformatex wFormatTag="353"
nChannels="2"
nSamplesPerSec="44100"
nAvgBytesPerSec="8005"
nBlockAlign="1487"
wBitsPerSample="16"
codecdata="008800000F00792E0000"/>
</wmmediatype>
</streamconfig>
<streamconfig majortype="{73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}"
streamnumber="2"
streamname="Video Stream"
inputname="Video409"
bitrate="512000"
bufferwindow="5000"
reliabletransport="0"
decodercomplexity="SP"
rfc1766langid="en-us"
>
<videomediaprops maxkeyframespacing="40000000"
quality="85"/>
<wmmediatype subtype="{33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}"
bfixedsizesamples="0"
btemporalcompression="1"
lsamplesize="0">
<videoinfoheader dwbitrate="512000"
dwbiterrorrate="0"
avgtimeperframe="333333">
<rcsource left="0"
top="0"
right="320"
bottom="240"/>
<rctarget left="0"
top="0"
right="320"
bottom="240"/>
<bitmapinfoheader biwidth="320"
biheight="240"
biplanes="1"
bibitcount="24"
bicompression="WMV3"
bisizeimage="0"
bixpelspermeter="0"
biypelspermeter="0"
biclrused="0"
biclrimportant="0"/>
</videoinfoheader>
</wmmediatype>
</streamconfig>
</profile>

Old 04-19-2008, 05:41 PM

This is the contents of the .prx file I'm using. Try to copy and paste into a text file and rename it to .prx and see if it works. If it doesn't we'll try to figure out alternate ways for you to get the file.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:59 PM

For some reason I can't get the Arcsoft Media Converter 2.5 for Phillips to convert any video files to the SA32xx, SA326xx or SA34xx model types. It quickly jumps from 0% to 100% done and says that it completed it without problems in approximately 3 seconds, but nothing appears in the directory, and I highly doubt it could do it in three seconds anyways. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Default Hi, new to insignia ns-dv, but I NEED help...

Hey, just bought NS-DV2G used, and initially after about 1 hr of trial and error, and finally d/l free arcsoft media converter I (thought) I had it working.
However, I've tried both avi and WMV9 conversions and multiple bitrates only to have (at best) video play once or twice then beep and lock up or simply restart device. Most common though, it never works and only begins to play for maybe a minute then does the same as above.

I've read many of your posts and you guys are my best hope...
Help me obiwan..
Thanks in advance,
DeChyld

P.S. I have already updated to firmware 1.105.4

Last edited by dechyld; 01-15-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: forgot to mention

Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 PM

…I’ve been using the program “Pocket Divx Encoder” for a couple years, ever since I got my player, it’s a free encoder developed for mobile devices, I’ve encoded hundreds of video’s, everything you can think of. Video’s are perfect, and you can maximize the video to fit the player screen size because 16:9 letterbox video size is way to small to watch on the player.

On the device selection I use “Iriver PMP100” medium, because it has a maximum screen size of 320x240 which fits the NS-DV perfectly. The default encoding is Divx which doesn’t work for the ns-dv, it uses XVID. Under the advanced settings theirs an option for XVID, put a check mark in the box, if you close the program and re-open it later you have to recheck the xvid option.
Also if you select a 16:9 video file to encode it will keep that aspect ratio unless you change it.
Under the resize video option button, theirs a option to maximize video to 320X240 size.
I hope this helps you guys.
Unfortunately I don’t think you can make a direct DVD rip using the encoder.

http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/EN_index.htm

Last edited by TSTS77; 01-26-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM

Default Thanks A LOT!

Hey, thanks for the tip. I've posted that question on several different sites, and yours is the BEST (only working) answer. I've used that soft several times now, and it's great!
Thanks again...
DeChyld