android
Old 02-01-2008, 03:53 PM

Default ything Disappeared when Unplugging USB Cable

I had plugged my SansaView 16GB into the USB charging port in my airplane's seat seatback. When I pulled the connector from the Sansa (I guess I should have unplugged the USB end instead) everything disappeared except the headings Music, Video, etc, all empty. My computer says that the storage still exists on the Sansa but I can see no sub-folders. If I connect in MSC mode all the sub-folders are labelled in hexadecimal sequence. The files have numerical names and a .dat extension.
What should I do now? I am on holiday and don't have access to the computer that holds the music library (mistake). If I have to re-format and re-install the world has not come to an end, but if there is a way to recover so that my girlfriend can listen to her music we both would be happy. Otherwise I am reduced to copying the files to my laptop and changing the extensions to wma and then letting Windows Media Player tell me who the author and album are. That will get some music back but it is time consuming and I still don't know what to do with this inaccessable material on her Sansa when I get home!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2008, 04:07 PM

This procedure worked to fix corrupted files on the Sansa e200; it may work for the View as well:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=16958

But you need to put your View in MSC mode first. Here's how:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=21421

Tell us if it worked or not.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Did you just unplug it or turn it off then unplug it? I find whenever I turn it off before unplugging it it very often wipes the View, but like you say the files are still there but cannot be seen.

I had to format and start again. I now just pull the cable out and all is fine.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:03 PM

I had the same thing happen. I am unsure of the sequence of events however. The day after I applied the new 1.02.09a firmware (the original release) I woke up and either unplugged my View from the PC or shut the PC down and then unplugged the View. I can't remember.

In any case my train ride to work was a quiet one. All listings were gone but when plugged into a PC the storage space was stll in use. I formatted and re-loaded my music.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 AM

When you format in MSC mode using Windows what happens to the operating system (firmware)? Is it in protected memory or is it in the storage like on my Archos 504?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeschen View Post
When you format in MSC mode using Windows what happens to the operating system (firmware)? Is it in protected memory or is it in the storage like on my Archos 504?
It's in a special spot, it will be fine to format it
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 02-03-2008, 05:11 AM

To me it happened a similar but different thing. Being a linux user, I plugged the View to my PC using the trick to force MSC mode. I then copied some music on the View and started using it.
The I plugged it to my notebook, which runs Windows XP. It mounted automatically in MTP mode, and when I tried to browse the View folders they were all empty.
Anyway, when I unplugged the View, I could still see the music I've copied from my linux box...
Still, if I connect the View to a Windows PC, I see all the folders empty. If I connect it to the linux box, everything is fine!
Any suggestions on how to "see" everything on every pc?

Linux How-To: Easy Video Conversions for the Sansa View

Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeschen View Post
It's not stored in the same partition/layer and cannot be easily seen. I've formatted in Windows but prefer to do it on the View itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciamano View Post
To me it happened a similar but different thing. Being a linux user, I plugged the View to my PC using the trick to force MSC mode. I then copied some music on the View and started using it.
The I plugged it to my notebook, which runs Windows XP. It mounted automatically in MTP mode, and when I tried to browse the View folders they were all empty.
That's perfectly normal.

You cannot see files which are in the MTP layer in MSC and visa versa. If you connect the View in Windows also using the MSC trick they'll be there just dandy. It's exactly the same for me.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post
That's perfectly normal.

You cannot see files which are in the MTP layer in MSC and visa versa. If you connect the View in Windows also using the MSC trick they'll be there just dandy. It's exactly the same for me.
I don't think that's "perfectly normal". Maybe it is "normal" behavior for the View, but if you consider that this does not happen with the Sansa Express, I guess it's not a "universally" normal behavior.

Linux How-To: Easy Video Conversions for the Sansa View