android
Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Default marketplace music format

Its WMA, but what is the bitrate and DRM status?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM

It is either 128 or 192 kbps (I'll call Zune to check it out), but the DRM situation depends on how you're buying. Whether or not you are buying subscription or with Zune points, they will only work on the Zune (though there have been reports on gadget blogs of them working with other players, but I don't really think that makes much of a difference). However, while if you buy with Zune points you get to burn the tracks to disks and (if I am not mistaken) to as many Zunes as you wish (I'll also ask about this). I also know for a fact that they sell over 1,000,000 DRM-MP3s that you can do with what you wish. I know for a fact that on the subscription you can only sync up with three Zunes and you cannot transfer to a disk. I hope this answers your question...and I'll update as soon as I call.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:26 PM

Subscription uses DRM infected WMAs and supports up to 3 Zunes. Buying with Zune Points gives you MP3s. I'm not sure about the bit rate though.
Zune 30 v3.1 broken hard drive

Old 09-17-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkshot View Post
Its WMA, but what is the bitrate and DRM status?
I would love to know what the bitrates are as well. As far as I can tell, there isn't any mention of it at Zune.net and that's a real shame.

I'll be buying most of my downloaded music through Amazon. Less expensive and nearly all of it at MP3 256 kbps.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:22 PM

The zune (at least the 30gb version) can't handle anything about 196 kbps and the native format is wma, but it can obviously play mp3, but if your amazon 256 kbps on your zune have been converted down to 196 kbps, but on your computer they are still 256 kbps.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreaming View Post
The zune (at least the 30gb version) can't handle anything about 196 kbps and the native format is wma, but it can obviously play mp3, but if your amazon 256 kbps on your zune have been converted down to 196 kbps, but on your computer they are still 256 kbps.
Not sure how it was with the 30 GB version, but the software that came with my 80 GB can handle up to 355 kbps VBR WMA.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreaming View Post
WMA Lossless is handle by all zune devices
320 kbps MP3s (available DRM-free in marketplace) playback fine on all Zune devices

Lossy WMA should not add any trouble to a Zune device.

Your 256 kbps songs from Amazon are converted because your Conversion Settings are wrongly set. Go to Settings - Device - Conversion Settings and change audio to "only convert formats not supported by Zune"