android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 05-04-2009, 01:33 AM

Default Windows XP and Zen Vision:M - charges but won't recognize?

Okay, I've spent several months looking for a solution for this and I keep reading through this forum, and while it's discouraging to see so many other people with a similar problem, reading through their threads hasn't helped.

I currently own a Dell Vostro 1000 with Windows XP, Service Pack 3. I've had my Creative Zen for a long time (Got it for a christmas present in 2007, I think) and it didn't have any problems until a few months ago. When I plug the player into the computer, the device turns on and starts to charge, and an 'MTP Media Player' folder pops up (and an icon for it shows up in the quick launch tray) with the options to either sync it through Windows Media Player (I have version 11) or to organize the files through Creative Media Explorer. However, even though the player charges (and shows as docked when fully charged), neither of those programs recognizes the device as being connected. It works perfectly fine on its own, and I know it's not the USB port because I have other things I plug into the exact same port and they work fine. I'm away from home at college right now so I don't really have another computer I can connect it to to try and see if it's just the computer, and I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a new cord (not to mention I'm reluctant to spend money because I'm a starving college student).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software several times, nothing. I tried resetting the player, nothing. I tried changing the USB permission accessibility like it said on the creative zen website, nothing. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it through the Device Manager (it shows up under 'Windows Portable Devices' and claims to be working correctly), but that screwed things up and wouldn't reinstall properly so I had to restore the computer to earlier today. I can't update the driver because I get a message saying:

'There was a problem installing this hardware: MTP Device. An error occurred during the installation of the device; the class installer has denied the request to isntall or upgrade this device.'

In a last ditch effort, I emailed the Creative website, but they told me my "free email tech support has expired" so basically I have to pay for them to get off their butts and help me. :| I am not pleased with them right now.

As I said before, the device works perfectly fine on its own. It just isn't recognized as connected by the computer. Please help! I have a bunch of new songs I want to put on it... I don't even care about losing the music I already have on there (this is a different computer than the one I originally installed the player on) so long as I can get it fixed.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you done the Cleanup>Reboot thru recovery/rescue mode on the player? It usually will solve alot of connection problems.I would advise not meddling with the firmware. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=36796

Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
Have you done the Cleanup>Reboot thru recovery/rescue mode on the player? It usually will solve alot of connection problems.I would advise not meddling with the firmware. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=36796
Nope, it didn't work. I'm reluctant to reset anything in case it doesn't work, and I lose all my music on top of that so I'd have no way of putting anything on it again. *sigh*

Any other suggestions, anybody? Please? T_T

Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 AM

Okay, so I don't want to start a new topic even though I have a new problem, so I'm going to post here.

I never resolved this former problem, but I went home to my desktop, and I updated it and everything there and it was fine. However, now I am studying abroad in Japan. I accidentally left my charger cord at home, so when I got here, I had no way to charge it. It still has a tiny amount of battery life left, but I haven't played it since I didn't want it to die.

My cord just arrived today, and I happily plugged it in, only to hear an error noise--like, three or four fast, low beeps. Not the sound that you're supposed to hear when it plugs in. My vision: M turned on, but the little lightning bolt didn't appear, and it didn't seem to be charging at all. So now I can't sync music OR charge it? What the hell?

I don't have my CD with me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you check Device Manager to see what it reports?? Since the battery was very low leave it plugged in for a day to fully charge it.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:22 PM

Okay, take one problem at a time. Starting with the most serious.
I would say that is the charging problem.
Coach is right. Leave it plugged in over night and see what happens.
If it does not charge, I would buy a wall charger. Here is why.
I have bought many, many players on eBay from people who said that their player was dead. But when I got them and plugged them into the wall, they worked perfectly! It has something to do with the circuitry within the battery. Your instinct were right. Do not let them go completely dead. Now that it is that far gone, you might need a wall charger. You might be able to get one pretty cheap over there in Japan.
Worst case you need to replace the battery.

Now I can give you some advice on the other issue.
You sound reluctant to go use rescue mode for cleanup. You need to try that. I have never seen the cleanup option cause any damage. So give it a try.
Next I would try reloading/upgrading the firmware. Loading version 1.62.02 does not cause you to lose any data. I understand that some previous upgrades can cause you to lose your files, but I have upgraded at least a thousand players with that firmware and I have not lost files due to the firmware update.
Also, I have referred at least 5 customers to this site who were having the same connectivity issue and they managed to work through the problem successfully.
So I would definitely revisit that option. I think that the answer is here for you.
That is all that I can think of now...
Good luck,
Gordon

Old 09-26-2009, 07:50 PM

Have you used any third party chargers?

I had ruined two ZVMs after using a third party wall charger ...

"The more I see, the more I don't know for sure."

Old 09-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooxshort View Post
Have you used any third party chargers?

I had ruined two ZVMs after using a third party wall charger ...
That is such good advice. Alot of motherboards are ruined by those. I had purchased a used player on Ebay & the seller sent one of those with it. I advised him if he wanted to have good feedback to not use them at all & invest in a real Creative wall charger even if just for testing. The all in one chargers are the worst. You have no way of knowing the polarity since it's not on the unit. The only other recommendation as a substitute would be a PSP wall charger to use with the sync adapter as that one is safe to use.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:36 AM

Is that really true?
I have never experienced a hardware failure that I could attribute to a bad charger. I Use genuine Creative chargers on my workbench, but I do give free (cheap) chargers with my players when I sell them. I don't want to cause my buyers trouble but (for me) the evidence is just not there to convince me that the cheap chargers are actually causing damage.
Although since you have mentioned this I will definitely be more aware of the possibility.
I had genuine Creative chargers listed on eBay for several months and did not sell a single one. I was selling them for $19.95 which is less than on Creatives website.
I quit selling them because it was obviously not profitable.

I will consider not giving away the cheap wall chargers at this point...

Old 09-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have had at least 3 of my co-workers ruin their boards with the generic all-in-one wall chargers/car chargers. Replaced the boards & they all got the PSP car & wallchargers to use with the sync adapter.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 PM

I had posted a thread about my first ZVM (RIP) and how it was suddenly unable to be recognized by my computer after using a Gomadic wall charger. Gomadic accessories use an interchangeable tip that can plug into different types of chargers, such as car chargers, wall chargers, USB, and battery packs. At first, I didn't think it was the charger at all, but after I got a replacement from Creative, I noticed that the player was unrecognized by my computer almost immediately following the use of the Gomadic wall charger.

So, I had to send my second dead ZVM for replacement. I then ended up buying a Creative brand wall charger and it has not died since ... In fact, I have been using the same ZVM for 2.5 years now w/o a problem.

And I wasn't the only one. It seemed that a lot of people using the Gomadic wall charger were having problems with their players being recognized afterwards. I'm guessing that because the tips were used for different types of chargers, it fried somehow.

My Original Thread

Hope this helps.

"The more I see, the more I don't know for sure."

Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 PM

First of all, thanks to everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.

To coach: the device manager doesn't even pop up anymore. It doesn't even have the 'mtp media device' thing or anything at all. I plug it in, the player turns on, it makes three or four low 'error-esque' beeps, and that's it. :\ When I check the device manager manually, it just says it isn't plugged in, like it has been for ages. I'm worried about leaving it plugged in overnight because there is no charging icon at ALL, and since it's so low, I'm worried that it would just make it die rather than start charging it out of the blue.

I will definitely look into the wall charger option, though! I didn't know those existed. I haven't used anything except the original usb cord that came with it, since I got it. I can't find one on the creative website for a Vision M, but I'll check around amazon.com.

I'm thinking I should just get rid of all my Creative software on this computer and start over, just in case that helps, since I think I messed it up last time I tried to fix it. Does that sound like it would do any good, or am I just being oblivious? Haha.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can't hurt to start over with the software.This Ebay seller ships worldwide has them CHEAP Creative charges about $30-$35 USD http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Creative-ZEN...3D10%26ps%3D63

Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 PM

Default Creative chargers on ebay

Wow! that is a great deal! I am going to buy 20 of them at that price.
Thanks for the tip Coachop!
Gordon

Tags
creative zen vision:m, player not recognized