android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2009, 01:33 AM

Default Windows XP and Zen Vision:M - charges but won't recognize?

Okay, I've spent several months looking for a solution for this and I keep reading through this forum, and while it's discouraging to see so many other people with a similar problem, reading through their threads hasn't helped.

I currently own a Dell Vostro 1000 with Windows XP, Service Pack 3. I've had my Creative Zen for a long time (Got it for a christmas present in 2007, I think) and it didn't have any problems until a few months ago. When I plug the player into the computer, the device turns on and starts to charge, and an 'MTP Media Player' folder pops up (and an icon for it shows up in the quick launch tray) with the options to either sync it through Windows Media Player (I have version 11) or to organize the files through Creative Media Explorer. However, even though the player charges (and shows as docked when fully charged), neither of those programs recognizes the device as being connected. It works perfectly fine on its own, and I know it's not the USB port because I have other things I plug into the exact same port and they work fine. I'm away from home at college right now so I don't really have another computer I can connect it to to try and see if it's just the computer, and I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a new cord (not to mention I'm reluctant to spend money because I'm a starving college student).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software several times, nothing. I tried resetting the player, nothing. I tried changing the USB permission accessibility like it said on the creative zen website, nothing. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it through the Device Manager (it shows up under 'Windows Portable Devices' and claims to be working correctly), but that screwed things up and wouldn't reinstall properly so I had to restore the computer to earlier today. I can't update the driver because I get a message saying:

'There was a problem installing this hardware: MTP Device. An error occurred during the installation of the device; the class installer has denied the request to isntall or upgrade this device.'

In a last ditch effort, I emailed the Creative website, but they told me my "free email tech support has expired" so basically I have to pay for them to get off their butts and help me. :| I am not pleased with them right now.

As I said before, the device works perfectly fine on its own. It just isn't recognized as connected by the computer. Please help! I have a bunch of new songs I want to put on it... I don't even care about losing the music I already have on there (this is a different computer than the one I originally installed the player on) so long as I can get it fixed.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
creative zen vision:m, player not recognized