android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P2 > Samsung P2 BlueWave Firmware

Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM

Lightbulb How to unbrick the P2 with the looping updating screen using FWDN

Hello, I will try to explain the steps that I made to unbrick my P2, so maybe there will be some errors, so, if you get stuck in a step, post about it and i will try to find out what went wrong.

First of all, you need the firmware that you had previously (if you don't remember there is a way to know it later), and the firmware that you were tring to install on the player. From now, I will call the previous firmware as "Old FW", and the one you are trying to use, as "New FW".

Then download the recovery application from the attached file in this first post.

Also, make sure your P2 has its battery full or almost full. If you cannot tell because of the loop, just plug it to your PC, or any thing with USB ports for 1 or 2 hours.

Are you ready? let's get started...

1. Open the FWDN.exe application.
2. Load the ROM of the New FW. (Some users have problems loading the ROM of the New FW, if you are one of those users, load the ROM of the Old FW. Thanks to hardcase for this info.)
3. Enter to Options>Preferences, and change the SDRAM Size to: 32M-32bit-0x20000000
3. Connect the P2 to the computer.
4. Press and hold the power button. While pressing the power button, press the reset button once, DON'T RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON.
5. The FWDN will show a little window telling that it is updating the SDRAM.
6. When the window closes automatically, the FWDN, will show these on the screen.

Code:
Device Inserted

Device Removed
When this appears, release the power button.

7. THIS PART DON'T KNOW FOR SURE, because it only happens one time on each computer, windows will show a "New hardware found" window for an USB Device. You need to select the vtcdrv.sys file that is inside the zip with the FWDN software; when it finish to install it, check if the FWDN software shows something like this:

Code:
Device Inserted

Device Removed

Device Inserted

-------- TARGET DEVICE INFORMATION ---------
Device Type : NAND Drive
Device Serial Number Type : SN_VALID_32
Device Serial Number : [ 00000000000000000000000]
Device Hidden Size : 202240 pages
Device SDRAM Configuration Value : 0x22E92010
Of course the serial numbers, and probably the SDRAM value will be different.

If it doesn't show that, disconnect the P2 and go back to step 3. this time it will not ask for the driver, and it should show the target device information.

8. When you already got to that screen, press the button WRITE, and a little window will appear writing the ROM file to the P2. Then a windows saying "Writing Complete!" will appear, just click OK and continue.

9. When it finish, disconnect the P2 and turn it on, it will start the same updating process, but at the end, it will show "update resource file" or someting like that, it changes with different FW versions, just hope to read the "resource" word, and you will be on the way.

10. Connect the P2 again to the PC, and it will recognizes it as a MTP Player.

Open My PC, and select the P2 drive. Go to DATA folder, and select the YPP2.RSC file.

You have to check the file size, then search the firmware who has the same file, with the same file size. You found it? Good. We will need it. This is the Old FW. It somehow gets stuck and doesnt't go away. You neither can delete it or move it. It always will appear there.

NOTE: If you have files that you want to recover, just copy them before doing the next step. When you finish, just continue.

11. Go to My PC again, but this time click the P2 icon with the secondary button, and select format. it will teel you it will destroy all the data, and bla bla bla, just accept and wait a little until it ends. This will delete the indestructible file that is looping the player.

12. When it finish, enter the device again, and copy the YPP2.RSC and
YPP2.rom of the Old FW into the DATA folder.

Probably you can add a new firmware, but i don't know for sure.

Disconnect the P2, and turn it on, then just follows the firmware update instructions, and this time the P2 will boot fine with the Old FW.
Then just try to update it again.

Well, thats it, I hope it works for everybody just like it worked for me.

PD: sorry for the posible errors on the redaction, english is not my first language, so you all now

Laters
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20071220130343078_YP-P2.zip (152.6 KB, 2209 views)

Last edited by sotodefonk; 06-17-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Dude you really and truly are the man. This completly unbricked my player, everything is back to normal and all I lost was the pictures and videos that came with the P2 (Ill Live) This thread should certainly be stickied. I was doing everything right except I wasnt holding down the power button long enough. I really appreciate it man, you saved my P2 haha. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:14 PM

You can save your files just before doing the format, just copy them to your PC, and the continue with the process.

I will update that info on the guide.

Im glad it worked for you!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Samsung Moderator

Good work. Stickied!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:31 PM

Nice work man...

Old 02-17-2008, 11:39 PM

Its a VERY nice guide. Good work. I am so glad that we can do something like this at home, rather then sending the p2 to samsung if ours got bricked due to unforseen circumstances....

Old 02-17-2008, 11:42 PM

I tested more , and it appear to works always (was testing changing regions and that stuff and got bricked twice lol), so i guess we can be free to test new firmwares combinations, without being afraid to brick it and send it to samsung.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:00 AM

I don't understand why Samsung makes it so difficult to recover their devices. Apparently they created this feature but it toke our community a few months to get to know this recovery feature. Why is that?
They could have saved some money if they wrote this things in the guide or made a link in the guide to a website.
My store send a new device after I bricked my machine with a firmware update (thumbs up for the store) but I would rather do it myself like described in this guide.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned

The P2 isn't that old. I suspect once they started getting bricked P2s back from customers they started working on a software fix for them. As with firmware versions, we didn't find out about it until it was working well.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 AM

I'll be damned! Samsung has FWDN as a regular download on their site!

Telechips' FWDN also works for the Cowon D2, but it is never mentioned openly, since it is presumably "illegal" to use FWDN to recover a bricked D2. Cowon rather have you go through all the hassle of RMAing the D2 instead... oh well. Good job, Samsung - that's how it should be done, giving people the choice of fixing their players themselves.

BTW, Rockbox TCCtool will work on the P2 as well, in that case. It's more or less the same as FWDN, only easier to use (IMO) and open source.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:02 AM

Yeah, while trying to unbrick mine, I saw the rockbox forums, but they didin't have the Rockbox TCCtool updated, so I needed to stick with FWDN.

I hope they release it soon (and a rockbox port would be nice too :P).

Old 02-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotodefonk View Post
I hope they release it soon (and a rockbox port would be nice too :P).
This looks promising: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?...4512#msg114512 - TCCtool obviously already works for the P2.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 AM

But as i see no progrees in making LCD to work =/

Old 02-18-2008, 09:53 PM

thanks! worked unbricking my player.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 PM

WOW! What a find! good job man!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 PM

Well i finally bricked my p2. Downloaded fwdn opened it changed pref. to 32 bit. Im assumingthe rom file to open is the fw file bricked it with. Now when i plug my p2 in and press power and reset once while still holding power after the found hardware wizard appears nothing happens in fwdn. Said device removed once but not inserted. When I tried to insall the vtcdrv sys file wouldn't do anything. Maybe I'm just dumb or not doing something proper. Any help would be greatly appreciated in advance, since I really don't want to sen it out to be repaired. Could be a long wait!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 PM

Like I said, you first need to install the driver on that hardware wizard selecting the file manually, then if nothing happens on FDWN, just disconnect the P2, and try again from the beggining, this time the PC doesn't ask you for a driver and then you can proceed with the steps...

Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 PM

Default problems

I've been following the steps given, and when I press reset, (while holding power, of course) the computer makes the sound that it does when you remove a device, then makes three low tones and fwdn doesn't say anything. What does this mean, and how can I solve it

Old 03-28-2008, 07:36 PM

nvm... I just gived my computer a break and came back later, and it worked like a charm... tnx!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 PM

hey
I've searched the internet in trying to find a way to unbrick my p2, which now loops when i turn it on. I've loaded the FWDN.exe application and when i connect the p2, and hit the reset button my computer makes a low sound 3 times but nothing shows up in the application. I was hoping I could get some help. This all started after i decided i was capable of switching back to the us firmware after using the kr one, which i now know i'm not.I emailed Samsung about my problem but replied saying there is nothing they could do to help. I've tried this on another computer and still have the same issue. Maybe i'm missing the obvious but I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks
-jas

Tags
bricked, firmware, fwdn, loop, update