android
Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 PM

Default Player randomly shutting down

OK, so ever since I got my Zen [couple weeks ago] a lot of times it would randomly shut off when I pick a song, then when I turn it on again it would say "Rebuilding", like it's rebuilding my tracks or something..and it would take like 20 seconds, and then all would be well..until it happened again, which was like 4x a week. I never knew what was up with it.

Anyway, 6 days ago my Zen said it had low battery so I stopped using it, and today decided to charge it for school tomorrow. But whenever I plug it in with the USB cable, the screen doesn't turn on! I tried it on 6 different USB ports. Then I finally realized that the blue light on the power switch was fading on and off. What does that mean? :|

I didn't drain the battery, as I didn't use it since it said "low battery"...so what's up with it? I'm just leaving it in there to charge currently...I hope it's ok :\

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Rebuilding means that its scanning all your songs to build an internal database of ID3 tags so you can browse by artist, album etc.

Over to the issue, I think you should RMA it, as this isnt good in any sense

Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
Rebuilding means that its scanning all your songs to build an internal database of ID3 tags so you can browse by artist, album etc.

Over to the issue, I think you should RMA it, as this isnt good in any sense
Ah, ok then. Meh..my player just turned on, guess it really did die out fully. Ouch..that's probably gonna hurt me in the long run. I just had such a fun week I forgot about it, lol. Only listen to it when I have school really.

What do you mean by RMA it though?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Ah, ok then. Meh..my player just turned on, guess it really did die out fully. Ouch..that's probably gonna hurt me in the long run. I just had such a fun week I forgot about it, lol. Only listen to it when I have school really.

I let my battery go complete dead before I charge it. I find I get a better life span out of it, than charging it every night

Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Samsung Moderator

"Return Merchandise Authorization"

Thats the name for what you do when you return your player as defective within a certain short return period (usually around a month) when the player is essentially broken when you get it.

RMA = Take it back to the store.

Quote:
I let my battery go complete dead before I charge it. I find I get a better life span out of it, than charging it every night
Bad idea. Read this: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=24466

Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post

It measn Return Merchandise Authorization... basially go back to the store to get a new one or contact creative, preferrably in that order

Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative-zen-korn-fan-101 View Post
Whoa, I never heard anyone say that before :0
How long have you been doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
"Return Merchandise Authorization"

Thats the name for what you do when you return your player as defective within a certain short return period (usually around a month) when the player is essentially broken when you get it.

RMA = Take it back to the store.

Bad idea. Read this: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=24466
Quote:
It measn Return Merchandise Authorization... basially go back to the store to get a new one or contact creative, preferrably in that order
Well, I bought it from Buy.com, so guess I'd better contact Creative? You guys really think I should do that though, with the random shutting down problem?

And that's a very interesting thread you linked me to, kinda doesn't make sense though lol.

Quote:
The first charge isn't any different from the 2nd, third, or 74th charge with lithium-ions.
That's very interesting, because people were telling me otherwise before >_>"

Quote:
Also, charging a battery to 70% takes less time than to charge it to 100%, due to the charge method of such batteries.

Bottom line is that you should charge your battery often, and not max it out each time. It's better to charge it almost full many times than to fully charge it one time, in fact it might seriousely increase the life span of the battery if you charge it randomly.
And this sounds like the complete opposite of what I've been taught to do, and been accustomed to. Don't charge it fully, but charge it often? And I do charge stuff randomly, especially my cell phone...lol.

Guess I should do the same to my player.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:28 PM

really? wow, I better stop that then. Thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Samsung Moderator

It's just important to understand that lithium ion polymer batteries are vastly different than traditional rechargeable batteries. Most devices these days have Li-Ion batteries, so it's a safe bet if you have a small electronic device like an mp3 player or a cellphone that it's lithium ion. Everything about lithium ion is different from what you would do to an old style battery. For even MORE information, read here:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Old 02-25-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
It's just important to understand that lithium ion polymer batteries are vastly different than traditional rechargeable batteries. Most devices these days have Li-Ion batteries, so it's a safe bet if you have a small electronic device like an mp3 player or a cellphone that it's lithium ion. Everything about lithium ion is different from what you would do to an old style battery. For even MORE information, read here:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
^what he said.
The battery myths that are left over are froim the days when electronics used different battery types, thats why most people have been taught to do something that will actually hurt the batteries used today. Store clerks etc are often very bad at this as they keep telling people to charge it for XX hours before using it etc, and thats actually useless.

I think you should RMA, so you get a perfectly working unit sooner rather than later. You can let it go a few more days and see if it acts up

Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just to add:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...03&postcount=6
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...32&postcount=7
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...03&postcount=6

Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
^what he said.
Store clerks etc are often very bad at this as they keep telling people to charge it for XX hours before using it etc, and thats actually useless.
Moreover they usually tell to completely discharge battery 2-3 times. And that may hurt it.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Samsung Moderator

Not to be the complete jackass hypocrite and accuse you all of derailing the thread...

Let's get back to solutions for the OP.

Like Cptn said, I would RMA the device if you're still able to return it to where you bought it (Even Buy.com has an RMA department: https://secure.buy.com/corp/support/...turn_steps.asp ) or if it's past their RMA period, then send it in for warranty repair with Creative.