android
Old 02-26-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Cool car charger/line-out accessory from Sony

I recently started a thread asking if A820 headphone jack would be adequate for line-out to connect to a car stereo. Most thought it would, but I just stumbled across this accessory from Sony and thought others might be interested.

It's a car charger with integrated line-out via the docking/charging connector. The output is switchable between high (for things expecting a true line out) and low (for things expecting headphone output). Looks pretty cool. The product page is very vague, but the manual has all the details.

DCC-NWC1

Product page:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644515825

Manual:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...pl?mdl=DCCNWC1

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I wonder what size the audio out jack is--hopefully it's a sane 3.5mm. I say this because I was looking at a sony micro stereo system (CMT-BX1)at Target the other day and it bragged about having an audio input jack on the front so you can connect your mp3 player to it, but the specs said it was a 2.5mm jack. 2.5mm? Who the heck uses those?!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM

The specs in the manual say 3.5mm

Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 PM

Huh, their website says 2.5 mm too.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...9039&langId=-1

Nice to see such consistency in the documentation!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Sorry, I meant the manual for the DCC-NWC1 car charger/line-out accessory says 3.5mm

Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 PM

nice, but too expensive

If I were to use a car charger it would be the ones that come with discmans. Only one conector adaptor needed, should be cheap

Old 02-27-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfa View Post
nice, but too expensive
Are you suggesting Sony has over-priced one of their products? Surely not!

But seriously, you do at least get a true line-out, so it's more than just a charger. But, I agree it should probably cost $15 not $40.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:06 PM

It might be worth the money if they included an FM transmitter on it. It would be cool to be able to buy a single car charging/input adapter that you can use in a cars with and without AUX ports.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 PM

Is this the only option we have for a car charger? 40 bucks does seem pricey, but I'd like one.. I have plenty of old sony minidisc card chargers and for a discman, too, I think - but of course none of those connect via the proprietary port on the 818. I guess maybe there might be a USB female to car adapter, but then I'd have to lug the usb cable with me too.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonami View Post
I guess maybe there might be a USB female to car adapter, but then I'd have to lug the usb cable with me too.
You can find all kinds of USB car chargers in the $5 range (check Amazon). So I wouldn't buy the Sony one just for charging. I think the only reason to get the Sony is the true line-out.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:48 PM

A second reason would be so I could buy a cable to just leave in my car.. but for 40 bucks, it can certainly wait. If anyone has actually gotten one of these, does the line out sound any better than the headphone jack? I just run a cable from the headphone jack to the aux in of my deck, and it sounds pretty good I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
You can find all kinds of USB car chargers in the $5 range (check Amazon). So I wouldn't buy the Sony one just for charging. I think the only reason to get the Sony is the true line-out.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM

Mine sounds fine using the headphone jack into the Aux input built into my car. And I can control the volume through the cars stereo volume control.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 PM

I think this cable appeals to people that just want to connect one cable to the player that charges and connects the audio and be on their way. Most people just connect a 3.5 cable and just run off the battery. With 30+ hours of audio playback, I think this really isn't that big of an issue.

It would be great if it also had a USB connector and if when connected the player switched to UMS mode, so that you can plug the player up to stereos that have a USB jack and then you can control the player from the head unit. Even if it just acted like a remote and didn't display any song information, you could at least set it to shuffle all and skip around.

Most iPod car stereo interfaces aren't really that great, and the people that get them have to live with their faults because there isn't anything else out there.